Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

It was well done I just personally didn’t find it that enjoyable.

It’s the most personal to Cuaron of all his films. I liked how the story focused on the life of a crowded and sometimes dysfunctional—but always loving— family, as protests and a potential revolution separate from their own issues took place in their side mirror.

I knew but I've still been watching every thing else but that.

I started it over a week ago. Got like 10 min in and stopped.

Minnesota superfans race to watch all nominated movies in Oscar 'chase'
The average American saw only about four films last year in a theater. But some Minnesotans, out of a pure passion for film, will see hundreds.
By Richard Chin, Star Tribune
FEBRUARY 23, 2019 — 4:54PM

When the Oscar nominations are announced in late January, Botten embarks on his See ’Em All Challenge, making an Excel spreadsheet of the nominated movies, researching where the movies are playing and spending the next four weeks checking films off his list.

He once spent a whole day at a theater watching all three sets of the Oscar-nominated shorts — animated, live action and documentary — plus two additional feature films.

Two years ago, he was just one film away from watching everything that received a nomination before the awards ceremony. But he failed to catch “My Life as a Zucchini,” a Swiss/French film, until the day after it lost the Oscar to “Zootopia” as best animated feature film.

“I wanted to make a clean sweep of it,” Botten said. “I tried for weeks to find that movie. It was the one that kept evading me.”

But while he was on the hunt, he made himself see “Click,” a 2006 Adam Sandler movie that got only a 33 percent rating on the Rotten Tomatoes website.

It was a lousy movie, Helle said, “but it had really great makeup.” That’s how it became the only Adam Sandler movie to get an Oscar nomination.

On the other hand, Helle said, he discovered a lot of great films that he wouldn’t have sought out if it hadn’t been for his Oscar chase.

“The Great Beauty” made less than $3 million at the box office in the United States, but the 2014 Oscar winner for best foreign language film is “one of the best movies I’d ever seen,” he said.

He said “The Act of Killing,” a 2014 documentary nominee, is “not just one of the best movies I’ve ever seen, it was one of the best pieces of art I’ve ever seen.”

http://www.startribune.com/minnesot...ll-nominated-movies-in-oscar-chase/506176662/

There's no way I could go to the theater and see everything nominated.

Dude should go harder though. :lol: @ watching Click for the makeup.

He said “The Act of Killing,” a 2014 documentary nominee, is “not just one of the best movies I’ve ever seen, it was one of the best pieces of art I’ve ever seen.” /
I just watched the Trailer. Film had my jaw on the ground. I will definitely get this in ASAP, here is the Trailer and Full Movie.

Last edited:
anyone watch O.G. yet?
Yeah it was good.

Really focused on Wright's character during his last days, his crime that got him in there, befriending a new inmate and trying to stare him clear of the life, and the overall concept of forgiveness or rehabilitation upon release.

Depicted that life well.

Give it a 6/8

Honestly most of these movies the past decade or so that have been nominated for best picture I’ll never watch again.

Best picture are boring as joints that appeal to people that think they watched some subliminal master piece when in reality it was plain boring with no meaning .....

Like watching a plain white canvas and someone that think they are intellectually superior saying can you see what he did here? No ***** . He just didn't do ****.

Man I even ended up watching Velvet Buzzsaw before Roma. Watching it now though.

VB was pretty bad though. Like a bad adult Goosebumps story. Those last few deaths were so poor.

3/8

Last edited:
saw how to train a dragon 3. likes the closing to the trilogy. didnt like the bad guy was done for kind of quick. toothless a real one. 6/8

also saw a star is born. cooper and gaga killed it man. dude that played coopers bro also killed it. what a sad movie. i appreciate the attention it draws for the continued progress in helping addiction and mental health. 7/8.

Roma 3.5/8

Oh man, another coma inducing Curaon flick.

At this point I need him to switch it up, hasnt made a movie I liked in years. Im talking since Children of Men. Maybe he should go mainstream. Give me a Mexican superhero or something :lol:

I was going to squeeze in what I haven't seen of A Star is Born but opted for the Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Much better choice. More entertaining and surprisingly just as good music/singing.

Last edited:
Green Book 6/8 - Its well acted. There's obvious chemistry between Viggo and Mahershala. I wanted to see more history and learn more about Dr. Shirley and the green book. Congrats to everyone involved on their nominations.

A Star is Born is deeper than people give who haven't seen it give it credit for. Yeah it's a musical love story, but the weight of the dude's demons carries the film a bit.

I can't remember if I posted about Paddleton. Sorry if I'm doubling up:
Paddleton 5/8 - Ray Romano is great and I am not a fan of his. The movie is crazy depressing but is one of the better things Netflix has put out.

Don’t bother watching Cold Pursuit, it’s a verbatim remake of a Stellen Skarsgard flick from 2014 that was a very good flick.

:lol: @ people that didn’t like best pic winners & nominees... I get if you don’t like then but there are some great flicks among the winners & noms.

While on the subject of Stellen, this was a good flick... Ita a but dry & existential so if you don’t like the best pic winners & noms, this ain’t for you.

Also speaking of dry, I give The Man Who Shot & Killed Hitler & Big Foot To a 6.4/8. Very dry flick kinda like You We’re Never Really Here (which is a 5.8/8 for me). It was not a big budget action cgi flick so if you like marvel flicks, this ain’t for you. This is for any genuine Sam Elliot fan though.

The newest iteration of a Star Is Born is 7/8. Cooper did a solid job in his directorial debut & kudos to him for the singing & guitar playing to. This role was tailor made for GaGa. Charlie the dog is awesome.

I recommended some of these in the Netflix thread but I thought I’d put in here to.

Paul Greengrass directed. Might’ve written it to.

Wasn’t McConaghey accepting his Oscar for Dallas Buyers Club the same night as the finale of Season 1 of True Detective?

Which is precisely what Mahershala’s doing with Green Book and the finale of Season 3 of True Detective... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom