Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I mean... it was directionless, predictable, and I struggled to find a reason for production, but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen.

This seems harsh. There was DEFINITELY a reason for the film being made. A lot of interesting themes and character studies going on in there and I'm only halfway through. It does seem like it's going to be limited in its arcs though. Which is fine for a slice of life film I guess. Maybe you had different expectations going in?

^ I get that. It was obviously a movie that breaks very far away from your traditional feel good childhood/parenting movie. And very often with movies like that, I relate to too many elements of it in order to see why it was necessary for the collective audience of individuals who mostly had a feel good experience regarding both childhood and parenting.

If that made sense. Like to me, I watched it and went "... and?" And I'm not trying to be intentionally unshocked or unmoved just to be contrary.

Da 5 Bloods 6.6/8

Mix of a lot of things to make a really good Spike joint. Some of the BlackKklamsmen vibe, the plot outline was very similar to Miracle At St. Anna.

Delroy Lindo has a certain range and he was completely in his wheelhouse in this.

Happy for my boy John Majors. Keeps getting roles and shining.

Rest of the cast was real good. Peters and Whitlock Jr. :pimp:

**** Seppo.

I will never understand how Quentin Tarantino can get the performances out of his actors in his movies. How? Like what does he do differently?

Sort of random drunk gibberish here, but I just watched Da 5 bloods. In a weird way, I got Inglorious Basterd vibes from it. So I watched IG afterwards. Cinematography and story aside , HOW THE **** does Tarantino do it?

Spike lee is a legendary iconic director who’s been mastering his craft for 30+ years and he gets stale performances from great actors. Tarantino gets pretty much oscar worthy performances from EVERY actor in all his movies. From the smallest parts to the main characters, every acted part in Inglorious basterds is A1. Bridgette von hammersmark, hugo stigletz, Aldo rain, Hans landa, the list goes on. how does he do it?

Paul Giamatti is excellent in Private Parts.

His reactions were hilarious.

giphy.gif

Related to Sideways, Giamatti failing to seize the moment with Virginia Madsen when she was ready to go is right up there with Mikey in Swingers leaving a string of 10 voicemails for Nikki and getting told to never call again. Painful.

The King of Staten Island

Gonna be honest - better than I expected. I can fairly rate it at 6/8. It was a bit too long, but Pete held his own in a story that was dedicated to his dad. Bill Burr was solid and Marisa Tomei still :pimp: .

I will never understand how Quentin Tarantino can get the performances out of his actors in his movies. How? Like what does he do differently?

Sort of random drunk gibberish here, but I just watched Da 5 bloods. In a weird way, I got Inglorious Basterd vibes from it. So I watched IG afterwards. Cinematography and story aside , HOW THE **** does Tarantino do it?

Spike lee is a legendary iconic director who’s been mastering his craft for 30+ years and he gets stale performances from great actors. Tarantino gets pretty much oscar worthy performances from EVERY actor in all his movies. From the smallest parts to the main characters, every acted part in Inglorious basterds is A1. Bridgette von hammersmark, hugo stigletz, Aldo rain, Hans landa, the list goes on. how does he do it?
It seems like Quentin Tarantino is naturally alot more entusiastic and hyped. If you see him in his interviews, he seems to really get into his vision about what he's describing, like he's imagining what he's talking about and painting a better picture for the viewers/interviewer. So he seems like the type to gets everyone energized and buy into his plans.

Just Mercy 5.5/8.

Definitely an important and timely watch for what's going on out there still to this day

Back
Top Bottom