Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Despite Rave critical support for Fury Road, it didn't do that well. The box office and a prequel without the two main stars should have been a bit of a red flag honestly.

Not to mention, I thought Fury Road was very good but it didn't crack my top list of action movies like a lot of people gushed over. I'm surprised this one is doing as poorly as it is, but I didn't think it would be a record breaker by any means.

I'm going to see Fall Guy this week gets to furiosa and then be ready for inside out 2

Also, the more I thought about it, I really did like the idea of Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes and I think without the last 5 minutes I'd be a little more down on it. It'll probably age better in comparison to future movies, but I think it was definitely setting the table for the next movies in the franchise. I was a bit disappointed by the movie itself Even though it was still of good quality.

I also think the theaters are a casualty of low quality sound and visual effects. Even in blockbusters

I watch old movies in theater often and it’s night and day how much certain effects add to a movie. A lot more was done with a lot less.

Nowadays the theatrical experience is just a big screen with the volume turned up :lol:

You guys Cali, NY whatever have it good with old showings/limited releases, I can’t get that anywhere but one place

Put Sugar (Apple TV) on. Seems like a typical private detective/missing girl trope then a random *** twist pops up. Didn't know anything about this show so didn't expect it.

You the one I been waiting for because you were a huge Fury Road fan. (I was not)

So I was curious what you'd think of Furiosa.

it's a fine movie, it has the prequel problem where it's more concerned with giving the origin for all the stuff in Fury road then telling a really compelling story.a

and it's less focused because it takes place over such a long period of time.

fundamentally the action filmmaking is a step down, and you can tell they were on sound stages and weren't suffering in the desert like Charlize and Tom Hardy war.

I also think the theaters are a casualty of low quality sound and visual effects. Even in blockbusters

I watch old movies in theater often and it’s night and day how much certain effects add to a movie. A lot more was done with a lot less.

Nowadays the theatrical experience is just a big screen with the volume turned up :lol:
Definitely this. I'm fortunate to have a good size screen and projector along with a decent albeit budget surround sound system, but for pretty much any non-dolby or IMAX showing I am left disappointed at the quality of theater sound. I didn't realize how much I cared about the sound until I got my own setup. It makes such a difference. Theaters are just too quiet for me

I also have the AMC pass so if I see two premium movies a month or pretty much three non Tuesday discounted showings, I'm saving big money. It's definitely different when you take a family to the theaters or go with multiple people

Bruh, I’m shook how many people are in here saying they didn’t care for Fury Road. I respect it but I just never knew folks that didn’t care for it

Man, I was going to theaters DURING Covid. :lol:

(But yes, not many films that year for sure)

I saw somethin on Twitter today that resonated too.....guy was talkin about he used to go to Toys R Us (gone now) would go to shopping malls (many are closed now) he'd go to Blockbuster (nope) or Best Buy for CD's-DVD's ( :frown: )

The whole world is goin out like that, not just movie theaters. Everything can be delivered next day or even your food can be delivered to your home and stream whatever you want. I went to Fall Guy 3 weeks ago, last week folks were ordering GrubHub and pressing play on Fall Guy in their living room.

I mean I think we can be sentimental about a lot of things.. personally, I don't miss downloading music, burning it on a CD and while the nostalgia was a lot of fun to go to the store and buy a new CD and I had it in my possession forever.. I don't know a person in my life who would prefer to carry a disc man right now versus having every song in the history of the world pretty much on their phone.

But that's also because music is a different medium. While audiophiles Will argue the downsides to streaming music for the average consumer It won't matter. Your trading convenience for quality and in many ways the convenience will give you equal or sometimes even better quality like with shopping. Even though I vividly remember holiday shopping, having to go to the mall to find a gift, walking around Target, Best buy department stores. Whatever sitting on my couch watching the NBA I can order my entire family's Christmas presents from my phone in 25 minutes rather than spending multiple days fighting traffic, paying more, dealing with product being out of stock and so on.

It's just an adjustment and it's a bummer, especially for movies because they're important to many of us, but it's also amounts of choice and selection is just so insane nowadays. Not only can I watch any movie ever in an instant at home, but every streaming platform is coming out with original movies that typically aren't as good as theater releases, but for many consumers, just like what I described their choosing convenience over quality.

I don't intend on not going to the movies anytime soon and for me it's not just seeing movie on the big screen, but it is also nostalgia and a sense of community and the thrill of sitting in the theater for a new release that blows my mind, but again, it's weighing the cost with the benefits. Do I want to spend my money on a movie that might not be worth it? Or would I rather just wait for it to hit Netflix in 6 months.

The only movie I went to watch in a theater from the start of COVID through the middle of 2021 was Tenet.

turned on the Cock and this was on the front page and decided to watch it. been a minute since my last viewing

1716780752774.jpeg

I agree with all that J, but the big(ger) concern will be........theaters shutting down. :frown:

I know 3 in my vicinity alone that have closed since Covid. (And another that did but was later re-opened by new owners)

And I KNOW my local one struggles to stay open. (Hence me going as often as I do) If theaters start shutting down en masse......we may not have the option to go much longer. That bothers me.

No more Tower records? I get that.
No more movie theaters? That will bother me.

I agree with all that J, but the big(ger) concern will be........theaters shutting down. :frown:

I know 3 in my vicinity alone that have closed since Covid. (And another that did but was later re-opened by new owners)

And I KNOW my local one struggles to stay open. (Hence me going as often as I do) If theaters start shutting down en masse......we may not have the option to go much longer. That bothers me.

No more Tower records? I get that.
No more movie theaters? That will bother me.
I think it'll consolidate worst case scenario..

AMC and Regal merge and the local theaters die.

But the box office is too large for theaters to go away entirely.

If you see what AMC has done with recliners, drink bars… in the past 10 years, there’s too much invested. If AMC upgrades, they know it’s not the end.I have no reason to disagree they know more than us.

And big j 33 big j 33 …. I go to like the Last Voyage of the Demeter and horror movies, but I have no reason not to wait for Fall Guy, which I have no tie to, to hit a streaming service I’m subscribed to. Screw theaters or $19.99 VOD for that, and I think those that think like me in those terms are what theaters have lost totally.

just curious, is everyone here an AMC Stubb or Regal Unlimited member?

been a regal member for almost two years now and have had a blast, I remember cutting netflix for it basically and haven’t looked back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom