Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Had a few first-time viewings this weekend...

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986). It's really rough around the edges, but an early performance by Michael Rooker, it was enjoyable purely on face value. Him and his co-star Tom Towles made it entertaining despite it's low budget.

henryl_1.jpg

Dark City (1998). If this were made today it would be phenomenal. Reminded me a lot of why I really liked Daybreakers. It was a bit ahead of it's time, and it's not all there, but has some really great atmospheric stuff.

220px-dark_city_poster.jpg

Cronos (1993). Guillermo Del Toro's feature length directorial debut. The film is beautiful for being shot nearly 20 years ago, but I guess that's Criterion for you. I really loved the mix of Spanish/English characters. It's very quirky at times, very dark at times. I really enjoyed it though.

cronos_poster.jpg

Inferno (1980). Giallo cult-Director Dario Argento directed this, and it just isn't upto snuff with his other stuff. Don't know if any of you guys have ever seen any of his other stuff, or Giallo in general, but he should have stuck with Giallo, because his supernatural stuff I've just never had a taste for. Profondo Rosso is one of the best I'ev ever seen from him, and this is just a huge step backwards.

inferno-poster-02.jpg

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986). It's really rough around the edges, but an early performance by Michael Rooker, it was enjoyable purely on face value. Him and his co-star Tom Towles made it entertaining despite it's low budget.

henryl_1.jpg

Dark City (1998). If this were made today it would be phenomenal. Reminded me a lot of why I really liked Daybreakers. It was a bit ahead of it's time, and it's not all there, but has some really great atmospheric stuff.

220px-dark_city_poster.jpg

Cronos (1993). Guillermo Del Toro's feature length directorial debut. The film is beautiful for being shot nearly 20 years ago, but I guess that's Criterion for you. I really loved the mix of Spanish/English characters. It's very quirky at times, very dark at times. I really enjoyed it though.

cronos_poster.jpg

Inferno (1980). Giallo cult-Director Dario Argento directed this, and it just isn't upto snuff with his other stuff. Don't know if any of you guys have ever seen any of his other stuff, or Giallo in general, but he should have stuck with Giallo, because his supernatural stuff I've just never had a taste for. Profondo Rosso is one of the best I'ev ever seen from him, and this is just a huge step backwards.

inferno-poster-02.jpg

Henry was a GREAT movie. I think Rooker showed some range in this movie that we don't ever really see from him again. He was kind of type cast since then.

Dark city was ahead of it's time in ways. Agreed.

Henry was a GREAT movie. I think Rooker showed some range in this movie that we don't ever really see from him again. He was kind of type cast since then.

Dark city was ahead of it's time in ways. Agreed.

Just a heads up...idk if this is nationwide, but Blockbusters near me have all used Blu Rays for $1 
pimp.gif

Just a heads up...idk if this is nationwide, but Blockbusters near me have all used Blu Rays for $1 
pimp.gif

the one i used to go to in forest hills closed. can't remember the last time i saw a blockbuster in queens now that i think about it

the one i used to go to in forest hills closed. can't remember the last time i saw a blockbuster in queens now that i think about it

JapanAir21 wrote:

henryl_1.jpg

This film is the true definition of how not to glorify criminals and violence in movies.  I think the low budget and roughness is what gives the film it's edge and keeps it fresh today.     

JapanAir21 wrote:

henryl_1.jpg

This film is the true definition of how not to glorify criminals and violence in movies.  I think the low budget and roughness is what gives the film it's edge and keeps it fresh today.     

Just saw rounders for the first time. Awesome movie. They had me at the Frazier/Monroe reference haha. I was cracking up when he met the guy named Knish at a damn Bania.

the only thing that seemed underdeveloped was Damon's relationship with that girl who fronted Norton's character two grand. seemed pointless

Just saw rounders for the first time. Awesome movie. They had me at the Frazier/Monroe reference haha. I was cracking up when he met the guy named Knish at a damn Bania.

the only thing that seemed underdeveloped was Damon's relationship with that girl who fronted Norton's character two grand. seemed pointless

Originally Posted by jrp44

pimp.gif

Really?

*looks at bank account*

FFFUUUUUUUUU

pimp.gif

Really?

*looks at bank account*

FFFUUUUUUUUU

Originally Posted by Noskey

pimp.gif

Really?

*looks at bank account*

FFFUUUUUUUUU
I was too late
tired.gif

My friend told me about it...He picked up 55 Blu Rays...then he went back and some guy cleared out the whole stock...Guy at Blockbuster said it was about 5-600
eek.gif
frown.gif

pimp.gif

Really?

*looks at bank account*

FFFUUUUUUUUU
I was too late
tired.gif

My friend told me about it...He picked up 55 Blu Rays...then he went back and some guy cleared out the whole stock...Guy at Blockbuster said it was about 5-600
eek.gif
frown.gif

So, I'm pretty weak with 70s film and haven't seen these...

Sleeper

Jeremiah Johnson

Five Easy Pieces

A Bridge Too Far

North Dallas Forty

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Kramer vs. Kramer

Aguirre, The Wrath of God

High Plains Drifter

Hard Times
The Conversation
nerd.gif

Breaking Away

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

McCabe and Mrs. Miller

MASH

The Last Picture Show
The Great White Hope

Barry Lyndon

The Shootist

Marathon Man

The Tenant
Junior Bonner

Black Christmas
Paper Moon
Blue Collar
Stalker
The Man Who Would be King
Little Big Man
Too Late the Hero
Smokey and the Bandit
The Onion Field
Up in Smoke
Uptown Saturday Night
tired.gif

Duck You Sucker
The Mack
Some of these, I half saw on TV years ago...others...I just been slackin.

I kinda wanna try and watch a couple of these before I vote on 70s/this is why I sat out the draft in the first place...Any suggestions?

So, I'm pretty weak with 70s film and haven't seen these...

Sleeper

Jeremiah Johnson

Five Easy Pieces

A Bridge Too Far

North Dallas Forty

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Kramer vs. Kramer

Aguirre, The Wrath of God

High Plains Drifter

Hard Times
The Conversation
nerd.gif

Breaking Away

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

McCabe and Mrs. Miller

MASH

The Last Picture Show
The Great White Hope

Barry Lyndon

The Shootist

Marathon Man

The Tenant
Junior Bonner

Black Christmas
Paper Moon
Blue Collar
Stalker
The Man Who Would be King
Little Big Man
Too Late the Hero
Smokey and the Bandit
The Onion Field
Up in Smoke
Uptown Saturday Night
tired.gif

Duck You Sucker
The Mack
Some of these, I half saw on TV years ago...others...I just been slackin.

I kinda wanna try and watch a couple of these before I vote on 70s/this is why I sat out the draft in the first place...Any suggestions?

marathon man is sick and not slow. up in smoke is hilarious. The tenant is great if you like Polanski. I downloaded paper moon haven't watched it yet but it sounds good. Kramer vs Kramaer is supposed to be a classic. Conversation isn't his best but it's a solid movie

marathon man is sick and not slow. up in smoke is hilarious. The tenant is great if you like Polanski. I downloaded paper moon haven't watched it yet but it sounds good. Kramer vs Kramaer is supposed to be a classic. Conversation isn't his best but it's a solid movie

pimp.gif

Really?

*looks at bank account*

FFFUUUUUUUUU
I was too late
tired.gif

eek.gif
frown.gif

LOL.

Never thought it would be that serious. Someone must be hustlin them on Craigslist for like $5 a pop.

Back
Top Bottom