Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Title is a reference to the Video/Music store in Fast Times in Ridgemont High

1640937511107.png

I believe LP was a chain; an 80s mall standard. Remember going in that store with my older brother when I was a kid.

And funnily enough, I was in the Sherman Oaks/Studio City area earlier today and saw a Licorice Pizza store on Ventura Boulevard. I assume it’s a relatively recent revival version.

RIP Betty White.

Crazy that she was just a few weeks away from hitting 100 and was in the news this week around flirting with Ryan Reynolds. So I don’t know if it ever makes sense to say some who was 99 dying was “unexpected”, but this one still caught me by surprise.

I believe LP was a chain; an 80s mall standard. Remember going in that store with my older brother when I was a kid.

And funnily enough, I was in the Sherman Oaks/Studio City area earlier today and saw a Licorice Pizza store on Ventura Boulevard. I assume it’s a relatively recent revival version.
That’s awesome.

Dont Look Up was good. Not great, not McKay's best. But was good. Things I liked:
The acting - everyone was great. Expected from this cast but still. Highlight was Rylance; guy was hilarious.
The unsubtleness - I'm glad to see McKay say **** it and just start bashing the message over peoples' heads at this point. Too much of the public wont listen, so maybe yelling it in their faces will shake them up a little.
The ending - yeah... the stakes are real.

Things I didnt like:
Ariana Grande and Kid Cudi basically getting free advertising when it served no purpose to the story. (I know - celebrities capture the general public's attention more than the fact they're about to die...)
It's basically Network but about climate change and COVID. The monologues felt like Leo and JLaw were practicing for a Network remake.

Overall again, it was good. I'd rate it a solid 6.5/8. Worth a rewatch or two but still liked The Big Short more.

Dont Look Up was good. Not great, not McKay's best. But was good. Things I liked:
The acting - everyone was great. Expected from this cast but still. Highlight was Rylance; guy was hilarious.
The unsubtleness - I'm glad to see McKay say **** it and just start bashing the message over peoples' heads at this point. Too much of the public wont listen, so maybe yelling it in their faces will shake them up a little.
The ending - yeah... the stakes are real.

Things I didnt like:
Ariana Grande and Kid Cudi basically getting free advertising when it served no purpose to the story. (I know - celebrities capture the general public's attention more than the fact they're about to die...)
It's basically Network but about climate change and COVID. The monologues felt like Leo and JLaw were practicing for a Network remake.

Overall again, it was good. I'd rate it a solid 6.5/8. Worth a rewatch or two but still liked The Big Short more.
McKay has one of the most punchable faces I’ve seen in a while.

So what about Don't Look Up is McKay's style? What aspects of that movie say 'Yep, That's McKay alright'?

-foe

I read one review of Resurrections that said people who loved the OG Matrix, but weren’t big fans of the first two sequels will probably like this new one. But people who really liked the first 3 as a trilogy won’t like Reaurrections too much. Seems pretty accurate based on what I’ve been hearing from people who’ve seen it.
The action/score from the sequels pulled me in. Plus better villains.

So I've watched every episode of Kobra Kai just started season 4 but the only Karate Kid I've ever seen was the Jaden Smith one. Larusso annoys me so much I couldn't bring myself to go back and watch 😂😂🤦🏾‍♂️

Finally saw it this afternoon. Excellent. If it wasn't a remake it would probably be seeing a ton of awards. Will still get some though. Ariana DeBose (Anita) killed it. David Alvarez was great too.
I wasnt that excited for it when the movie was first announced, but after seeing the trailer in theaters, i knew i had to watch on the big screen. The way its shot and the production design look amazing.

Back
Top Bottom