Olive 9s holiday 2024

Those weren't PE's the players were wearing. Those were customized pairs. At that time, people and customizers just used the Kiwi black shoe polish over the olive mudguard. That made for an all black 9 that looked great actually! The black 9's I am referring to are the one's below that I figured would release, but never did

mj 9.JPG

Yes I know all about the black dyed Olive 9's from 02-03.

They were all over NYC because Olives weren't selling and mom and pops would just dye the Olives black and they started to move from then on.

But there was a pair of PE I think that was a high top AJ9 just like the white/black but the upper was all black. I swore I saw pics on NT years ago but maybe I saw wrong or maybe it was something different.

That pair MJ wearing in the pic I'm not a fan of but hope they release it for you since you like them.

It was the last shoe he wore on court in Chicago Stadium and the statue was commissioned shortly after
He never wore the 9 in the stadium I believe . The steel 10 was the last in Pips charity game. Before that it was playoff 8s. They picked that shoe particularly because of the globel themed outsole. It was a perfect nuetral decision do to the difficulty choosing what model to have on it.

He never wore the 9 in the stadium I believe . The steel 10 was the last in Pips charity game. Before that it was playoff 8s. They picked that shoe particularly because of the globel themed outsole. It was a perfect nuetral decision do to the difficulty choosing what model to have on it.
You’re right it was Pip who had them on. Curious if you got a link on the global sole being chosen specifically. It may have been simpler than that because they got the designs submitted for selection in Jan 94 and that shoe was the latest Jordan dropping a couple months earlier.

You’re right it was Pip who had them on. Curious if you got a link on the global sole being chosen specifically. It may have been simpler than that because they got the designs submitted for selection in Jan 94 and that shoe was the latest Jordan dropping a couple months earlier.
The book, Driven from within. Tinker specifically talks about it. But I dont recall Pippen ever wearing a 9.

Come to think of it there’s probably only a handful of times MJ ever was captured wearing the shoe outside the Barons. Olives with his golf clubs, Chicagos in practice during the 93 playoffs and Space Jam, the Carolina ad, cool greys with the wizards… is there any other time or is that the totality of them?

Plenty of 9 PE’s back in the days…Here’s the mostly black variations…

IMG_3855.jpeg
IMG_3856.jpeg
IMG_3857.jpeg
IMG_3858.jpeg
IMG_3859.jpeg

Very few pics od MJ wearing them on the court…
IMG_3861.jpeg
IMG_3860.jpeg

As for Pip? I don’t recall him ever wearing the 9’s but he did wear these which were extremely similar and easy to confuse, especially since we were all watching the games on 10” tube TV’s at the time :lol:

IMG_3862.jpeg
IMG_3863.jpeg

I dont think anyone was ready for that color on a Jordan back then. It was always Bulls colors first for the most part. Carolina and blue colors for obvious reasons. Grapes, Bords and Aquas colors people were still getting used to.

At the time, earth tone colors like browns and olive was unheard of on a sneaker. I was the only kid at my high school with the olives. The 9 itself wasn't a popular model at that time because MJ wasn't playing in the league (I always wanted the all black version he wore while playing baseball, but they never released as a sneaker). I think now, they will be a first day sell out, especially if they make them limited like the last release

You guys are spot on. I remember the reactions from my friends when we were allowed to see the catalog and every single one of us was grossed out by the olive/brown. My buddies called them the "doo-doo Jordans" lol.

trappedintime trappedintime you're right too about them being a bit more limited. A manager at FTL once claimed to me that they were the only major retailer that ordered them. It was certainly the only store I ever saw the OG pair in.

Plenty of 9 PE’s back in the days…Here’s the mostly black variations…

IMG_3855.jpeg
IMG_3856.jpeg
IMG_3857.jpeg
IMG_3858.jpeg
IMG_3859.jpeg

Very few pics od MJ wearing them on the court…
IMG_3861.jpeg
IMG_3860.jpeg

As for Pip? I don’t recall him ever wearing the 9’s but he did wear these which were extremely similar and easy to confuse, especially since we were all watching the games on 10” tube TV’s at the time :lol:

IMG_3862.jpeg
IMG_3863.jpeg

Pip has on Air Swifts… bricked hard I got them at JC Penny for like $35 on sale. I absolutely loved them.

I want to say the 9 was one of the first if not the first PE shoe?

You guys are spot on. I remember the reactions from my friends when we were allowed to see the catalog and every single one of us was grossed out by the olive/brown. My buddies called them the "doo-doo Jordans" lol.

trappedintime trappedintime you're right too about them being a bit more limited. A manager at FTL once claimed to me that they were the only major retailer that ordered them. It was certainly the only store I ever saw the OG pair in.

Dicks had the OGs also, at leas t in Syracuse thats where I got mine. The store set up WAY back then was a huge area, bordering all the shoes on wall which were mostly running and hiking, the huge area had wooden shelves about belly high and you could take and try on anyhting and everything, kinda likeba dream come true if you will. They had that set up for the 8s and 9s after that I moved. What I would give for it to still be that way, long long gone are the days

i had a pair of ACG boots that I cleaned up real real good ( wore em about 10 times ) brought them back with receipt, thats how I got mine and might have been the only one copped em, went back a month later and they were on sale for 69.99

Other than the BC 3's THESE are my most wanted of the year hands down

CANT WAIT

Back
Top Bottom