Osama Bin Laden is dead

my cousin who is in the army sent me a picture of what looks like to be osama dead idk if i can post it or if its real

my cousin who is in the army sent me a picture of what looks like to be osama dead idk if i can post it or if its real

Originally Posted by empirestrikesfirst

Let me preface this by saying I am not American and I lost no family or loved ones in the terrible attacks on September 11th, 2001, so I have an obviously different view than others may.
However, it troubles me seeing how much joy and how much nationalism is shown over the death of one man. I understand he was the implicated leader of one of the largest terrorist cells in the world, and most likely the mastermind behind many atrocious attacks on innocent people. 

Breaking into chants of, "USA, USA!" over the death of a man, as evil as he may have been, is simply wrong to me. If you needed to see this man expire to gain closure, so be it. Who am I to judge or dictate how a person deals with the passing of friends and family, or grief in general. But this nationalistic fervor is almost appalling to me. 

Closure???  What closure?  Bin Laden is one of MANY in the Al Queda terror cell.  He dies, someone else steps in.  As messed up as it sounds, I'm pretty sure they had a plan in place in case he was killed.  The terror level today is the same it was 2 weeks ago...2 months ago...2 years ago.  +!$@ doesn't change.  This is a HUGE deal that we got Bin Laden.  He was the mastermind behind 9/11.  Most folks understand that him being dead doesn't change much in the war on terror.  It's the significance of having the man dead who (for the most part) masterminded attacks on our soil and overseas.  Why not be happy?  9/11 was the single darkest day here in the country.  Innocent men, women, and children of ALL nationalities/religions/etc were killed due to Bin Laden's plot.  It's a great feeling knowing that he's erased....Our entire country has changed due to what happened 10 years aog.  However, just to be clear....this "war" isn't over.  By a long shot. 

*Seriously....we've ALWAYS had an elevated terror level.  Just because you don't hear about the elevated levels doesn't mean that the threat is non-existent. 

Props to the SEALS team and our troops...hope the come home soon.

Let me preface this by saying I am not American and I lost no family or loved ones in the terrible attacks on September 11th, 2001, so I have an obviously different view than others may.
However, it troubles me seeing how much joy and how much nationalism is shown over the death of one man. I understand he was the implicated leader of one of the largest terrorist cells in the world, and most likely the mastermind behind many atrocious attacks on innocent people. 

Breaking into chants of, "USA, USA!" over the death of a man, as evil as he may have been, is simply wrong to me. If you needed to see this man expire to gain closure, so be it. Who am I to judge or dictate how a person deals with the passing of friends and family, or grief in general. But this nationalistic fervor is almost appalling to me. 

Closure???  What closure?  Bin Laden is one of MANY in the Al Queda terror cell.  He dies, someone else steps in.  As messed up as it sounds, I'm pretty sure they had a plan in place in case he was killed.  The terror level today is the same it was 2 weeks ago...2 months ago...2 years ago.  +!$@ doesn't change.  This is a HUGE deal that we got Bin Laden.  He was the mastermind behind 9/11.  Most folks understand that him being dead doesn't change much in the war on terror.  It's the significance of having the man dead who (for the most part) masterminded attacks on our soil and overseas.  Why not be happy?  9/11 was the single darkest day here in the country.  Innocent men, women, and children of ALL nationalities/religions/etc were killed due to Bin Laden's plot.  It's a great feeling knowing that he's erased....Our entire country has changed due to what happened 10 years aog.  However, just to be clear....this "war" isn't over.  By a long shot. 

*Seriously....we've ALWAYS had an elevated terror level.  Just because you don't hear about the elevated levels doesn't mean that the threat is non-existent. 

Props to the SEALS team and our troops...hope the come home soon.

I am an American and I feel the same. If you were not intimately affected by 9/11 or war through loss of a family member or friend, you have no business rejoicing. You can feel proud that the USA avenged (if you want to call it that) the deaths of those people, but to riot in the streets is simply disturbing.

Originally Posted by j1mmych0o

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

I still do not understand why some of you are making it as an impossible task he could have been captured alive during a raid if they wanted to take him in alive to put him on trial. Explanation please.
I dont know, maybe the fact that he resisted. Maybe its the reports about him firing shots and one female being used as a human shield. Either way, why do you want him alive? What is a trial going to do? Waste more tax dollars on trials, security, jail, etc??? He is better off dead anyways.

Why do you think it would be so easy to take him alive? Were you there? Were you in the military? Have you conducted these types of raids before? Are you disappointed you werent used as a human shield?
but who gives america the right to kill people? we should have put him through trial..

He lost that right to trial when 3000 Innocent people lost their lives on 9/11 #ignorant

I am an American and I feel the same. If you were not intimately affected by 9/11 or war through loss of a family member or friend, you have no business rejoicing. You can feel proud that the USA avenged (if you want to call it that) the deaths of those people, but to riot in the streets is simply disturbing.

Originally Posted by j1mmych0o

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

I still do not understand why some of you are making it as an impossible task he could have been captured alive during a raid if they wanted to take him in alive to put him on trial. Explanation please.
I dont know, maybe the fact that he resisted. Maybe its the reports about him firing shots and one female being used as a human shield. Either way, why do you want him alive? What is a trial going to do? Waste more tax dollars on trials, security, jail, etc??? He is better off dead anyways.

Why do you think it would be so easy to take him alive? Were you there? Were you in the military? Have you conducted these types of raids before? Are you disappointed you werent used as a human shield?
but who gives america the right to kill people? we should have put him through trial..

He lost that right to trial when 3000 Innocent people lost their lives on 9/11 #ignorant

Originally Posted by nestasprotege

First bold: I'm looking at the RELIGIOUS TEXTS. There is nothing to interpret unless the translations are in question, which I doubt is the case.
Again, like I told you, you cannot take these texts at face value. You have to look into the context of the history which gives it a whole different meaning.

Second bold: You are absolutely wrong. I don't feel like arguing with someone who is blatantly ignoring the fact that Islam is the only religion with explicit instructions on handling those who don't believe. And those instructions are not to be tolerant in the slightest.
You are choosing to ignore the fact that these texts were not used as instructions to handle those people who do not believe because of their FAITHS, but rather due to political alliances which failed.

You also completely overlook the fact that Islam is not the ONLY religion as you claim that has these kind of texts.
What about the certain teachings from the Old Testament, the New Testament and Christian theology that have been used to justify the use of force against heretics, sinners and external enemies? Remember those were the texts used in order to incite Christian religion violence in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Again, you can't ignore one tradition and recognize another. i'm done arguing over Islam, what is important is that those people who lost loved ones in 9/11 and at war feel some sense of closure, regardless of how fanciful this situation seems to be.

First bold: I'm looking at the RELIGIOUS TEXTS. There is nothing to interpret unless the translations are in question, which I doubt is the case.
Again, like I told you, you cannot take these texts at face value. You have to look into the context of the history which gives it a whole different meaning.

Second bold: You are absolutely wrong. I don't feel like arguing with someone who is blatantly ignoring the fact that Islam is the only religion with explicit instructions on handling those who don't believe. And those instructions are not to be tolerant in the slightest.
You are choosing to ignore the fact that these texts were not used as instructions to handle those people who do not believe because of their FAITHS, but rather due to political alliances which failed.

You also completely overlook the fact that Islam is not the ONLY religion as you claim that has these kind of texts.
What about the certain teachings from the Old Testament, the New Testament and Christian theology that have been used to justify the use of force against heretics, sinners and external enemies? Remember those were the texts used in order to incite Christian religion violence in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Again, you can't ignore one tradition and recognize another. i'm done arguing over Islam, what is important is that those people who lost loved ones in 9/11 and at war feel some sense of closure, regardless of how fanciful this situation seems to be.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Closure???  What closure?  Bin Laden is one of MANY in the Al Queda terror cell.  He dies, someone else steps in.  As messed up as it sounds, I'm pretty sure they had a plan in place in case he was killed.  The terror level today is the same it was 2 weeks ago...2 months ago...2 years ago.  #$%+ doesn't change.  This is a HUGE deal that we got Bin Laden.  He was the mastermind behind 9/11.  Most folks understand that him being dead doesn't change much in the war on terror.  It's the significance of having the man dead who (for the most part) masterminded attacks on our soil and overseas.  Why not be happy?  9/11 was the single darkest day here in the country.  Innocent men, women, and children of ALL nationalities/religions/etc were killed due to Bin Laden's plot.  It's a great feeling knowing that he's erased....Our entire country has changed due to what happened 10 years aog.  However, just to be clear....this "war" isn't over.  By a long shot. 

*Seriously....we've ALWAYS had an elevated terror level. 
DoubleJs, you wasted time replying to him. His opening sentence said it all.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Closure???  What closure?  Bin Laden is one of MANY in the Al Queda terror cell.  He dies, someone else steps in.  As messed up as it sounds, I'm pretty sure they had a plan in place in case he was killed.  The terror level today is the same it was 2 weeks ago...2 months ago...2 years ago.  #$%+ doesn't change.  This is a HUGE deal that we got Bin Laden.  He was the mastermind behind 9/11.  Most folks understand that him being dead doesn't change much in the war on terror.  It's the significance of having the man dead who (for the most part) masterminded attacks on our soil and overseas.  Why not be happy?  9/11 was the single darkest day here in the country.  Innocent men, women, and children of ALL nationalities/religions/etc were killed due to Bin Laden's plot.  It's a great feeling knowing that he's erased....Our entire country has changed due to what happened 10 years aog.  However, just to be clear....this "war" isn't over.  By a long shot. 

*Seriously....we've ALWAYS had an elevated terror level. 
DoubleJs, you wasted time replying to him. His opening sentence said it all.

I find a certain aspect of the story particularly comical. The white House is "debating" on whether or not to release the photos? Are you kidding me? There is no way in hell they conceal the photos. That would be contradictory to everything they are trying to establish surrounding this situation.

And also, the conveniently planted twitter feed. Why what more confirmation must you need than someone who you don't know describing the attack from a mountain via social media?

I find a certain aspect of the story particularly comical. The white House is "debating" on whether or not to release the photos? Are you kidding me? There is no way in hell they conceal the photos. That would be contradictory to everything they are trying to establish surrounding this situation.

And also, the conveniently planted twitter feed. Why what more confirmation must you need than someone who you don't know describing the attack from a mountain via social media?

Originally Posted by toine2983

laugh.gif
 @ the notion that Osama could've been easily captured alive.
eyes.gif

It'll be interesting to see if US government releases any pictures of bin Laden's body.

I don't understand why this is being laughed at as impossible or something. If they wanted him alive, they could have taken him alive to put him on trial. The ISI captured Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (supposedly the mastermind of 9/11) in a raid in Pakistan and he was put on trial in the U.S.

Impossible? No.

Improbable? Yes.

You make it seem like all the US troops had to do was set up some elaborate trap like the Mystery Gang on Scooby Doo.

They were invading a heavily guarded mansion of one of the most dangerous men in the world.

You would be naive to think that Osama and his regime wouldn't put up any resistance or that there wouldn't be any bloodshed.

I do not disagree with you. 

Of course he would put up a fight and resist.

I just think if they wanted him out alive and to put him on trial, they would have taken him out alive and tried not to kill him off. There is a strategy behind all this. I am sure also the U.S. was a lot more heavily guarded an equipped than Osama and his few number of men were. Many terrorist leaders and dictators have put up fights and resisted invasions for their capture, and some of them have been caught and purposely strategized to not kill them for the aim to put them on trial. 

laugh.gif
 @ the notion that Osama could've been easily captured alive.
eyes.gif

It'll be interesting to see if US government releases any pictures of bin Laden's body.

I don't understand why this is being laughed at as impossible or something. If they wanted him alive, they could have taken him alive to put him on trial. The ISI captured Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (supposedly the mastermind of 9/11) in a raid in Pakistan and he was put on trial in the U.S.

Impossible? No.

Improbable? Yes.

You make it seem like all the US troops had to do was set up some elaborate trap like the Mystery Gang on Scooby Doo.

They were invading a heavily guarded mansion of one of the most dangerous men in the world.

You would be naive to think that Osama and his regime wouldn't put up any resistance or that there wouldn't be any bloodshed.

I do not disagree with you. 

Of course he would put up a fight and resist.

I just think if they wanted him out alive and to put him on trial, they would have taken him out alive and tried not to kill him off. There is a strategy behind all this. I am sure also the U.S. was a lot more heavily guarded an equipped than Osama and his few number of men were. Many terrorist leaders and dictators have put up fights and resisted invasions for their capture, and some of them have been caught and purposely strategized to not kill them for the aim to put them on trial. 

A trial? capture alive? no thank you. I had a cousin that died in 9/11 and all his body parts weren't even found. Had to have a closed casket funeral. Bin Laden had almost 10 more yrs to live after that (not deservingly). Killing Laden on site is cool with me.

A trial? capture alive? no thank you. I had a cousin that died in 9/11 and all his body parts weren't even found. Had to have a closed casket funeral. Bin Laden had almost 10 more yrs to live after that (not deservingly). Killing Laden on site is cool with me.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

And I strongly encourage you to stop talking like you're some religious scholar. It has been asserted and evidenced that Islam preaches tolerance and acceptance, especially towards "People of the Book," namely Jews and Christians.
It has also been asserted and evidenced that Muslims are instructed to claim any and all allegiances if the result is the furthering of Islamic dominion.

A very simple example of the misconception:

Teaching
A) Muslim men are required to keep peace in their household

Translation
B) Muslim men are instructed to lie to their women if questioned in the name of peace
Rather obvious logical fallacy in your reasoning, but I don't care enough to argue.

Back
Top Bottom