OVERRATED MOVIES? *flamesuits must be worn beyond this point*

^you know you don't HAVE to come in this thread if it's going to make you so upset.  
Right? 
laugh.gif

Dudes acting like they quit their job, emptied their savings account, took out a high interest loan to make the movie in question. 

Eh. This was a Jimmie rustle thread. Said jimmies are rustled. I like movies...a lot. Of course I'm in here...don't like it? Give me that block life.

*Kanye Shrugs*

nobody care about your damn "jimmies" boi

the intent of the thread is what the title says, but of course people are going to key on what they disagree with most

you just can't seem to get over it.  Go watch Scarface to settle your nerve, you been talking nonsense

Fight Club
I'm a big Fincher fan (people need to give Benjamin Button a second chance) and feel about 98% of Fight Club was fantastic, even the twist. But for some reason that ending felt kind of lazy to me.

The Hangover
A neat way of having the story unfold, but not quite an "instant comedy classic" it got dubbed at the time.

Skyfall
Really people?!? 92% on RT for this POS???

Star Trek Into Darkness
Dafaq is dis? Just go watch Wrath of Khan instead!

Inception
Pretty much the same reason as most people.

I'm big on graphic novels in general, but didn't care much for the "book" either and the film bored the hell outta me.

V for Vendetta
-see my "300" explanation above- [side note: I absolutely loved both the book & film for Watchmen though]

Avengers
Not saying it's terrible, but definitely not the great comic book movie it's hyped up to be. For a much better telling of a similar "comic book super team vs alien invasion" I'd recommend watching the entire Justice League animated series (hell, toss in Batman TAS and Superman TAS) then compare the two-part finale [Alive! + Destroyer] to The Avengers.

Award winner/nominees/classics that just didn't "wow" me: The Hurt Locker, Argo, Slumdog Millionaire, There Will Be Blood, The Graduate, The Blind Side, Avatar, The Social Network, The Departed/Infernal Affairs (yeah, both), Gladiator, LA Confidential, Blade Runner, Django Unchained

Cosign.
I'm waiting for someone to say Toy Story 3 next.

Toy Story 3.
Not trolling either, maybe it was just over-hyped for me going in. Loved the first two, but I was simply "meh" with TS3's story.

Avatar and, for some reason, a lot of the 2012 releases (TDKR, Silver Linings Playbook, Django Unchained and Zero Dark Thirty).

2013 is making up for a lot of the films I didn't like in 2012 though.

Every horror movie ever

bryant4_original.gif
I can see why someone didn't like all 3. Django aint even QT's best work and when somebody points out Waltz was the star of the movie things are just different. For me it's still cool but I can get how someone didn't like it. TDKR copped out when they had Talia be the mastermind. I mean Bane is badass for a 3rd of the way through and then once the real villain shows up he's easily defeated, the cop scenes/subplot and the underlying message/themes where basically you need a crazy rich white guy to save the day with this bs have's and have nots back drop sucks as well.

Silver Linings is the biggest stretch to me but maybe ppl just really dislike the stars in it and the dialogue.

I don't like horror movies much either.

Last edited:
Here you go.

I recommend people see it for themselves; meaning its not necessarily over rated. There was great acting. Big stars...however I personally disliked 12 years a slave. It probably should win some awards, it should be seen by most, strong emotional depiction of slavery...however I hated the main character and don't think The story should have ever been told. Let that **** die like he should have. Take all that is good about the film and place it with a different story.

I wouldn't say over rated...that's just a movie I personally didn't like; but then again, I guess that's a different thread. The 'movies that were good movies but you didn't like for x reason' thread.

Avatar and, for some reason, a lot of the 2012 releases (TDKR, Silver Linings Playbook, Django Unchained and Zero Dark Thirty).

Every horror movie ever
bryant4_original.gif
I can see why someone didn't like all 3. Django aint even QT's best work and when somebody points out Waltz was the star of the movie things are just different. For me it's still cool but I can get how someone didn't like it. TDKR copped out when they had Talia be the mastermind. I mean Bane is badass for a 3rd of the way through and then once the real villain shows up he's easily defeated, the cop scenes/subplot and the underlying message/themes where basically you need a crazy rich white guy to save the day with this bs have's and have nots back drop sucks as well.

Silver Linings is the biggest stretch to me but maybe ppl just really dislike the stars in it and the dialogue.

django and slp won oscars. tdkr was a solid movie. i don't understand how they can be overrated. nobody is calling these movies the GOAT.

IMO an overrated film is a solid film that gets copious amount of praise (that I feel is unnecessary). So a film could be very good, but if it gets Oscar buzz or any type of excessive hype, I consider it overrated. This is why I no matter how much I love films like The Dark Knight, Pulp Fiction, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc.. I can understand why people call them overrated.

The Dark Knight Rises is easily Nolan's worst film. The writing was sloppy and if you consider how tight the script was from TDK, it makes you wonder if Chris or Jonah were just forced to end the trilogy. Cinematography, acting, soundtrack, everything was solid, but without a strong story, the sense of pathos created by the previous films was lost. The fact that many consider this film better than Batman Begins is really the main reason I consider it overrated. In the end, TDK 9/10, BB 8/10, TDKR 7/10.

As for Silver Linings Playbook, I hate to admit this, but I'm really not a David O. Russell fan. Hopefully things will be different with American Hustle, but I never got into SLP. I may revisit it down the road, but again, I consider it a 7/10 and overrated because of all the Oscar buzz (being nominated for best picture/director/adapted screenplay/actor/actress).

When it comes to Django, I'm at the point where I'm no longer excited about a Tarantino film. His holy trilogy of film (Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs) are exceptional, but his recent films have been solid at best. And really, his interviews leading up to Django, saying that this is one of the few films that really deal with slavery, was a huge stretch IMO. What's most egregious is that this film won for best screenplay, when every single character Quentin writes sounds exactly like him.

Zero Dark Thirty was way too much of a procedural. I admit, I have a bias because I'm a big fan of Homeland, so maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it as much. I appreciate Bigelow's gritty style, but i got nothing out of it in this particular film.

So when I say a film is overrated, doesn't mean it's bad, but I just don't feel the added praise or admiration is earned. Shoot, my top three of all time can be considered overrated, but whatever. :lol:

I remember a few people insulted me personally because I said I didn't like the way TDKR looked.

This was before the movie even came out.

******g clowns :lol:

Every horror movie ever

bryant4_original.gif

django and slp won oscars. tdkr was a solid movie. i don't understand how they can be overrated. nobody is calling these movies the GOAT.
If you don't like QT movies or aren't the biggest fan of them and anything like how they're done it's easy to feel they're overrated. Just cuz a movie got an Oscar doesn't mean it's not overrated. If you don't understand how it's okay.

Avatar got all types of awards, it's still overrated and a pretty awful movie.

IMO an overrated film is a solid film that gets copious amount of praise (that I feel is unnecessary). So a film could be very good, but if it gets Oscar buzz or any type of excessive hype, I consider it overrated. This is why I no matter how much I love films like The Dark Knight, Pulp Fiction, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc.. I can understand why people call them overrated.

The Dark Knight Rises is easily Nolan's worst film. The writing was sloppy and if you consider how tight the script was from TDK, it makes you wonder if Chris or Jonah were just forced to end the trilogy. Cinematography, acting, soundtrack, everything was solid, but without a strong story, the sense of pathos created by the previous films was lost. The fact that many consider this film better than Batman Begins is really the main reason I consider it overrated. In the end, TDK 9/10, BB 8/10, TDKR 7/10.

As for Silver Linings Playbook, I hate to admit this, but I'm really not a David O. Russell fan. Hopefully things will be different with American Hustle, but I never got into SLP. I may revisit it down the road, but again, I consider it a 7/10 and overrated because of all the Oscar buzz (being nominated for best picture/director/adapted screenplay/actor/actress).

When it comes to Django, I'm at the point where I'm no longer excited about a Tarantino film. His holy trilogy of film (Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs) are exceptional, but his recent films have been solid at best. And really, his interviews leading up to Django, saying that this is one of the few films that really deal with slavery, was a huge stretch IMO. What's most egregious is that this film won for best screenplay, when every single character Quentin writes sounds exactly like him.

Zero Dark Thirty was way too much of a procedural. I admit, I have a bias because I'm a big fan of Homeland, so maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it as much. I appreciate Bigelow's gritty style, but i got nothing out of it in this particular film.

So when I say a film is overrated, doesn't mean it's bad, but I just don't feel the added praise or admiration is earned. Shoot, my top three of all time can be considered overrated, but whatever.
laugh.gif
good breakdown. i see you reasoning even though i dont agree with it. different taste for different folks.

Every horror movie ever
bryant4_original.gif

If you don't like QT movies or aren't the biggest fan of them and anything like how they're done it's easy to feel they're overrated. Just cuz a movie got an Oscar doesn't mean it's not overrated. If you don't understand how it's okay.

Avatar got all types of awards, it's still overrated and a pretty awful movie.
good point with avatar. that movie is buns and it got all kinds of awards.

Here you go.

I recommend people see it for themselves; meaning its not necessarily over rated. There was great acting. Big stars...however I personally disliked 12 years a slave. It probably should win some awards, it should be seen by most, strong emotional depiction of slavery...however I hated the main character and don't think The story should have ever been told. Let that **** die like he should have. Take all that is good about the film and place it with a different story.

I wouldn't say over rated...that's just a movie I personally didn't like; but then again, I guess that's a different thread. The 'movies that were good movies but you didn't like for x reason' thread.
I'm sorry. 

But when i read this and look at your avatar, I can't help but read it in the voice of Huey.
roll.gif
 The N-bomb in the middle just made it even more realer. 

I think... The Great Gatsby was a flop. I loved the images, but the plot just... ugh... brother done got rich, and was waiting to meet her... died because of her and the girl still out and about living it up?

Hard knock life indeed. 

Fight Club
I'm a big Fincher fan (people need to give Benjamin Button a second chance) and feel about 98% of Fight Club was fantastic, even the twist. But for some reason that ending felt kind of lazy to me.

The Hangover
A neat way of having the story unfold, but not quite an "instant comedy classic" it got dubbed at the time.

Skyfall
Really people?!? 92% on RT for this POS???

Star Trek Into Darkness
Dafaq is dis? Just go watch Wrath of Khan instead!

Inception
Pretty much the same reason as most people.

I'm big on graphic novels in general, but didn't care much for the "book" either and the film bored the hell outta me.

V for Vendetta
-see my "300" explanation above- [side note: I absolutely loved both the book & film for Watchmen though]

Avengers
Not saying it's terrible, but definitely not the great comic book movie it's hyped up to be. For a much better telling of a similar "comic book super team vs alien invasion" I'd recommend watching the entire Justice League animated series (hell, toss in Batman TAS and Superman TAS) then compare the two-part finale [Alive! + Destroyer] to The Avengers.

Award winner/nominees/classics that just didn't "wow" me: The Hurt Locker, Argo, Slumdog Millionaire, There Will Be Blood, The Graduate, The Blind Side, Avatar, The Social Network, The Departed/Infernal Affairs (yeah, both), Gladiator, LA Confidential, Blade Runner, Django Unchained
Toy Story 3.
Not trolling either, maybe it was just over-hyped for me going in. Loved the first two, but I was simply "meh" with TS3's story.
We must have really similar movie taste because I agree with all the ones on that list that I've seen.

But do you think The Graduate is overrated?

I have my rustled jimmies on standby

The Dark Knight Rises, and I'm a huge Nolan fan.

I think Sci-Fi flicks needs a particular type of viewer, I don't see the Fast & Furious crowd liking a movie like Gravity or Star Trek.

But do you think The Graduate is overrated?

I have my rustled jimmies on standby

Completely. When the AFI did their first 100 list, The Graduate sat at #7. 7th!! Greatest American movie! OF ALL TIME! So there's the iconic moments (that have been parodied to death), Simon & Garfunkel on the soundtrack, Mr Feeny…but the film itself on the whole? :stoneface:

When they revised the list in 2007 it got dropped down ten spots, so it seems I'm not the only one who thinks it's overrated. But still too high for me personally.

Last edited:
The Graduate dropping down ten spots isn't necessarily a reflection of it being overrated, but maybe they thought other movies should be higher? It's well acted, brilliantly structured and written, the soundtrack, classic moments, and thematic points relevant even to today's audiences... when considering the greatest American films, it's absolutely in the conversation. Top 20 seems appropriate to me.

No Country for Old Men won best picture and best director in 2008.  Hated it

Completely. When the AFI did their first 100 list, The Graduate sat at #7. 7th!! Greatest American movie! OF ALL TIME! So there's the iconic moments (that have been parodied to death), Simon & Garfunkel on the soundtrack, Mr Feeny…but the film itself on the whole? :stoneface:

Do you really think that those are the things that keep the film in such high regard?

Last edited:
We're talking movies, but as far as actors/actresses go Jennifer Lawrence is up there.

I can understand the backlash for Jennifer Lawrence because within a year EVERYONE loved her and she was a constant topic of conversation. So there's always a pushback from that kind of media attention.

But she backs it up on the screen. She can play the action star, she can do the heavy lifting in a drama, she can play a wide range of emotions, and she's an interesting and funny interview. If she's not someone's preference or they're just tired of her.. I get that. But I think she's incredibly talented and deserving of the praise.

Back
Top Bottom