Paula Deen to reveal she has type 2 diabetes Vol. Anthony Bourdain FTW!

sillyputty, you need to stop.  You sound ridiculous.  Getting type 2 diabetes isn't a death sentence.  You also make it sound like she's a cult leader who brainwashes people when they watch her show.  She doesn't have that much influence on people's lives.  Try to find cooking shows that make healthy food every episode.  There are very few out there.

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

Who cares, eat what you want. If you wanna be unhealthy then be unhealthy. And i love ignorance, for the record a diabetic can eat an entire chocolate cake by themselves and be completely fine. Learn a little before talking.

live to eat not eat to live
if i were paula dean i would strike a deal with tony horton, get healthy, and make more money

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by DrewDioxin

I hate this broad with a passion. Bourdain FTW

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

I once saw her fry chicken, then use melted butter as dipping sauce. That was one of the most evil things I've seen on television.

Man the sad thing is, how many people watched her show AND tried to emulate her.

I can't imagine how many lives she has indirectly worsened.

She can't honestly live that long, living how she was living. The damage is done and she is pretty old as it is.
OK, but whose fault is that?  It's no secret that she cooks unhealthy meals...but she's not holding a gun to anyone's head making them cook her meals.

Folks blaming her for THEIR unhealthy eating habits makes NO sense. 

This is true but you can't undermine her influence and the power of the media at the same time. Whether you believe it or not, she is in a very powerful position. Like Uncle Ben said, with great power come great responsibility.

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Man the sad thing is, how many people watched her show AND tried to emulate her.

I can't imagine how many lives she has indirectly worsened.

She can't honestly live that long, living how she was living. The damage is done and she is pretty old as it is.
OK, but whose fault is that?  It's no secret that she cooks unhealthy meals...but she's not holding a gun to anyone's head making them cook her meals.

Folks blaming her for THEIR unhealthy eating habits makes NO sense. 

This is true but you can't undermine her influence and the power of the media at the same time. Whether you believe it or not, she is in a very powerful position. Like Uncle Ben said, with great power come great responsibility.

I don't adhere to any of that.  If you're stupid enough to let Paula Deen dictate what you're cooking on a regular basis, and then complain when you're unhealthy....well, whose fault is that? 

Bourdain has made an excellent career for himself criticizing food network chefs for decades now. I enjoy his books, but you have to grow up eventually.

He's a huge hypocrite for criticizing her for the quality of her food. What's the difference between a woman that makes unhealthy food vs. a guy that goes to different countries to eat unhealthy food? Not that much.

In fact Bourdain has serious health problems too. Mostly from eating all that pork.

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

Bourdain has made an excellent career for himself criticizing food network chefs for decades now. I enjoy his books, but you have to grow up eventually.

He's a huge hypocrite for criticizing her for the quality of her food. What's the difference between a woman that makes unhealthy food vs. a guy that goes to different countries to eat unhealthy food? Not that much.

In fact Bourdain has serious health problems too. Mostly from eating all that pork.

Yeah, I agree.

Health advice from a 2 pack a day former herion and cocaine addict.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

Not that I disagree with your whole argument, but the difference is Bourdain gives you a taste of different cultures and food. He does eat unhealthy at times, but it's a given you aren't going to fly around the world eating what he eats. His show is much more then food.

I see man vs. food the same way - nobody is going to travel around the us participating in the food challenges. I'd visit a restaurant and eat there if it's in the neighborhood, but I'm not going out of my way while on vacation to hitup a man vs food spot.

Paula Deen demonstrates through recipes on how to develop health problems. For those that enjoy cooking at home, she helps you make unhealthy meal after unhealthy meal.

Is Bourdain a hypocrite? Maybe to an extent, but in this case (given how the two shows present themselves) I'd say he has a valid point.

I'm really not surprised about Paula Deen, but what I don't understand is how anyone can praise Bourdain over Paula. I mean this is the same guy who smokes his lungs off, eats all that junk (I don't care if your traveling the world its still junk), and probably hasn't worked out a day in his life. And on top of all of that, this guy thinks he's the Messiah of food, dissing every chef from food network
laugh.gif
He's nothing but an egotistical hypocrite.  Ima need him to take a @%%%@# seat... all the way to the back. .

Originally Posted by Savannah Leigh

I'm really not surprised about Paula Deen, but what I don't understand is how anyone can praise Bourdain over Paula. I mean this is the same guy who smokes his lungs off, eats all that junk (I don't care if your traveling the world its still junk), and probably hasn't worked out a day in his life. And on top of all of that, this guy thinks he's the Messiah of food, dissing every chef from food network
laugh.gif
He's nothing but an egotistical hypocrite.  Ima need him to take a @%%%@# seat... all the way to the back. .

this. bourdain is hella wack and his show sucks. he smokes a pack and gets drunk in every episode. and he isnt even a real chef. at least ppl like guy, and adam richman are actual chefs that can cook when need be. idk how this bum even got a show.

129108251_244x183.jpg

Paula Deen promotes the new book "Paula's Southern Cooking Bible" on Oct. 12, 2011, in Ridgewood, N.J.�
(Credit: Getty)
(CBS) All of the high-calorie, butter-intensive, fatty foods Paula Deen has whipped up over the years may have finally caught up with her.
The 64-year-old chef is expected to announce not only that she has Type 2 diabetes, but also that she inked a multimillion-dollar deal to become the new face of a Novartis drug used to help treat the disease, reports�The Daily.

Last spring, the�National Enquirer�reported that Deen had been diagnosed with the diabetes often linked to obesity.

Now a source tells The Daily, "She's going to have to start cooking healthier recipes. She can't keep pushing mac and cheese and deep-fried Twinkies when she is hawking a diabetes drug."

Insiders say the Georgia native has started changing her cooking approach and will soon make healthier options available at her Savannah, Ga., restaurant, The Lady & Sons.

Her son, Bobby Deen, has already jumped on the healthier food bandwagon. Earlier this month, he�launched the series, "Not My Mama's Meals," on the Cooking Channel, where he creates less fatty versions of his mother's old-fashioned Southern recipes.

http://a3.twimg.com/profi...in_here_twitter_3a.jpg); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: 14px; line-height: 23px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">
roll.gif

i cosign silly putty. in this country where 11 yr olds are becoming increasingly inflated to morbid obesity, there has to be a point where we say this isn't right. paula deen, that fat #+@$+ deep fries everything in motor oil ...adam richman as much as i love his show, makes us look bad as a society because we idolize a dude who makes a living on stuffing his fat face with inhuman amounts of food.

man vs food however, at least, makes for a great food guide for when you travel
pimp.gif

[h1]Paula Deen exposed as Big Pharma sellout for profiting from the diabetes disease her recipes promote[/h1]by Tara Green 

(NaturalNews) Do you wish you could have a share of the billions in profits raked in by pharmaceutical companies peddling dubious drugs? If you are unencumbered by integrity, you may want to follow the lead of celebrity chef Paula Deen to gain a chunk of the plentiful prescription drug dollars.

[h1]Paula Deen's Ethics-Free 4-Step Path to Big Pharma Cash[/h1]1. Attain some sort of minor celebrity status. In Paula's case, she started as a restauranteur and then self-published cookbooks. These books led to appearances on QVC and Oprah's show. She subsequently had her own Food Network shows. She was widely known for her liberal use of butter and her preference for deep-frying anything and everything -- one of her signature dishes is deep-fried stuffing on a stick. Another recipe she demonstrated on her show was a burger inside a split doughnut, topped by an egg and bacon. She has also long been affiliated with Smithfield, the industrial meat company, creating a recipe collection using their products.

2. Become sick from practicing the lifestyle choices you teach others to make. Paula Deen was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes three years ago. While it is sad when anyone is diagnosed with a serious illness, what makes Paula Deen worthy of ridicule rather than sympathy is how she handled this situation.

3. Tell no one about the diagnosis you have received, and continue to promote the unhealthy lifestyle which led to the disease. In the meantime, have your agent work on the next step.

4. Find a pharmaceutical company willing to pay you money to be a spokesperson for one of its drugs designed to squash the symptoms of your disease. Paula Deen now appears in advertisements for Novo Nordisk's diabetes treatment Victoza.

[h1]"Cures" that cause other diseases -- and don't cure[/h1]It is difficult to determine which of Paula Deen's endorsed products holds more health dangers -- the processed meats or the drug. In 2011, the FDA ordered Novo Nordisk to print a "black box" warning on the drug's label. This is the federal agency's strongest warning, used to alert consumers that grave health consequences are involved. The warning says that Victoza "causes thyroid C-cell tumors at clinically relevant exposures in rodents." Other side-effects associated with the drug include headache, nausea, and diarrhea. Ads for the cancer-causing drug now feature a smiling Deen along with the caption "live a life that's delicious."

The cynicism of both Deen and Nova Nordisk is amazing. Both essentially endorse the idea that people should eat whatever they want, regardless of the health consequences. Then, when diagnosed with a disease, simply pop a pill and make the symptoms disappear. Until another disease appears as a consequence of the pill -- but then you can take another pill for that, or perhaps undergo surgery or a round of radiation. Another celebrity chef, Anthony Bourdain commented via Twitter about the Deen-drug company alliance: "Thinking of getting into the leg-breaking business, so I can profitably sell crutches later." (Although, Bourdain himself is not exactly an advocate for good health. He is known for making anti-vegetarian statements, calling people who do not eat meat "a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn." He has also said of cigarette smoking, "it really does make you cool. Chicks love it".)

The Deen-endorsed drug not only has the potential to cause cancer, it also does not deliver any health benefits in return for its health risks. Like most pharmaceuticals prescribed for diabetics, the drug treats symptoms but not the disease. In a 2008 issue of the Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, University of North Carolina professor of medicine Nortin Hadler noted that anti-diabetes drugs are ineffective because lowering patient's blood-sugar levels does not cure the disease.

Maybe Deen can persuade her sponsors Smithfield and Nova Nordisk to create some coop ads. They could run spots in which Deen cooks and eats Smithfield processed meats, seasoning them with a powdered form of Victoza. Or perhaps Smithfield and Nova could have a partnership in which anti-diabetic and anti-cancer drugs are injected into the industrial meat. These may sound like outrageous suggestions but they really aren't any more far-fetched and cynical than Deen's affiliation with the drug company.

Sources:

http://motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2012/01/paula-deen-promotes-dubious-diabetes-drug

http://www.salon.com/2012/01/17/paula_deen_cashes_in_on_diabetes/

It's almost like someone with AIDS telling people to have as much sex with as many random partners as you can.

Yeah you should be able to make your own decisions, but that @#*!* cray!

Back
Top Bottom