Penny Hardaway Is THE MOST Overrated Athlete In The History Of NT vol.childhoods got ruined

my biggest 'what if' in sports..

i wish orlando had kept webber instead of trading him.. would have loved to see how webber and shaq would have played together

LOL @ GoldenChild. I won't say anything else, every one diffused his talk.

But I wouldn't say MOST overrated, but I do think folks are slightly blinded by his shoes. That is all I will say about that.

tumblr_lgsk5bVsxv1qgljqvo1_500.gif

its a touchy subject bc his greatness is embeded in peoples mind in his healthy years penny was a great player n in some regards people may b blinded by that and the shoes lol but you cant knock him penny was that guy poin blank period...

penny FTW 
pimp.gif

WE NEVER GOT TO SEE HIM IN HIS PRIME. Dude was filthy especially during his 2nd-4th seasons. Each time down the court he scored was in different way his athleticism, ball handling, passing skills, mid range game, ability to knock down threes, came off screens and drive to the hole. Homeboy was nasty 

Imagine Kobe Bryant (chill I'm not comparing them as players) knees went out on him after the 2nd championship. So you have three season watching a kid beast and you know he is only going to get better, then boom, he gets injured and you never see it. That's what Penny was, people saw the greatest coming, and were robbed of seeing it.

He was not a lockdown defender but so say his defense was weak is @$+@%@!*. Dude was solid

One last thing about Penny, he was extremely exciting to watch. He had the Jason Williams, Vince Carter thing going for him a little. You just paid attention to him because he knew he was about to slam on someone, shake someone or make a flashy pass. 

I was as big as a Penny fan as there was....In the early 90's when he was still at Memphis State. Saw him play on TV watching some random game at my uncles house in like 1991 and was hooked . Reason why I wore # 25 in junior high. My favorite college player of that era. I had a Memphis State hat long before he touched an NBA court. The guys skill level was off the charts. Don't know if overated was the right word, but his career was taken away from him. We never got to see him in the peak of his career.Sky was the limit for him. Career would have been much better than a guy like T Mac. And IMO would be in the same breath as a guy like Scottie Pippen. Able to do a little of everything on the court.

Grant Hill is a similar story. He had a high bball IQ , great atnletic ability and skill level. We never got to see his full potential either. Those 2 guys would have been first team all NBA for years IMO if healthy

Originally Posted by bostonmarc

I was as big as a Penny fan as there was....In the early 90's when he was still at Memphis State. Saw him play on TV watching some random game at my uncles house in like 1991 and was hooked . Reason why I wore # 25 in junior high. My favorite college player of that era. I had a Memphis State hat long before he touched an NBA court. The guys skill level was off the charts. Don't know if overated was the right word, but his career was taken away from him. We never got to see him in the peak of his career.Sky was the limit for him. Career would have been much better than a guy like T Mac. And IMO would be in the same breath as a guy like Scottie Pippen. Able to do a little of everything on the court.

Grant Hill is a similar story. He had a high bball IQ , great atnletic ability and skill level. We never got to see his full potential either. Those 2 guys would have been first team all NBA for years IMO if healthy

came back in here to say this. i think Hill would have had the better career if anything

OP is right. he is overrated. i looked over his stats and read about all his years. he had 3 great seasons but that was it.

From a talent standpoint, he was awesome. This can't be overstated.

His career just doesn't match the talent.

Originally Posted by CosmicCanon

He only had 3 "great" years.

He was never a top 3 player

Outside of scoring and passing, he wasn't an all-around player(subpar defender and rebounder)
He wasn't the best player on those Orlando teams, Shaq was.
No Penny fan would argue against that, but if we still enjoyed watching him play, and was one of our favorites growing up, how does that make him overrated?
There was a thread about his chances of making the HoF, but other than that I rarely if ever see anyone say Penny is one of the greatest or anything.

^ Nas. If there is a thread about him making the HOF then that means people overrate his career. Point blank.

I agree with the idea of what he is saying. I don't think he is anywhere near the most overrated, but I do think people get blinded by his marketing. Shoes and Doll included. I still would take T-Mac in his prime over Penny in his prime, but we have argued that before on here.

I compare him to his peers at the time, Jason Kidd and Grant Hill. All 3 of them were do it all on the offensive end and all came in the league around the same time and in his short peak years from 94-97, I believe he was better than the both of them.

Like others have said, we weren't able to see him at his prime. JKidd didn't hit his prime til' around 01-04, so who knows what Penny could've done had he not got injured and was able to have healthy years in his late 20's early 30's. If he had kept pace with his prime years before the knee, I think he definitely would've been point guard of the 90s and early 2000s.

This is a great quote coming from Penny about his career:

"I look at it like this," Hardaway said. "In six years, maybe seven, I accomplished more than what most NBA players did in their entire career. I'm All-NBA two or three times, All-Star four times. I did all of this in maybe four years. If it wasn't for all the injuries, I'm pushing for the Hall of Fame."

So true.

Most of the cats in here talking weren't even old enough to appreciate Penny in his prime.

Jordan (and the sports media at the time) looked at him as a successor to his Airness and you could see that MJ had something to prove every time the 2 squared off.

That right there says it all.

RackMultipart.24587.0_crop_340x234.jpg

When people speak of Penny they aren't talking about his legacy, they're talking about his potential...and his potential was about as high as an NBA player could have.

Originally Posted by TheGoldenChild

Originally Posted by NobleKane

and lets not forget the talent he was around. shaq along with dennis scott and nick anderson.

once shaq left it was a wrap for dude.

if it wasnt for shaq and nike people would have forgotten about dude.
uhm no.. if it wasnt for his knees being all messed up, he'd have a hall of fame career. besides as good as shaq was, without penny he'd never would've made the finals. just like shaq's entire career has been. without another superstar guard, shaq would have never made it. and where kobe got a quality big several in gasol years after shaq left, penny never got that. if you wanna consider rony seikaly or felton spencer a quality big...

the !%%+ outta here man...
laugh.gif
NOBODY says if he didnt have penny shaq would have never made it to the finals...

this is EXACTLY why this thread was made by dude. alot of you are delusional about penny hardaway...

oh if it wasnt for his knees? well if it wasnt for the fact that i wasnt 7 foot id be in the nba! smh...

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

LOL @ GoldenChild. I won't say anything else, every one diffused his talk.

But I wouldn't say MOST overrated, but I do think folks are slightly blinded by his shoes. That is all I will say about that.

well yea forgot to say hes not the most overrated athlete because there have been too many who didnt amount to !*%+ in sports...

but smh at dudes in here 

you all can talk !*%+ about broken #*@ tmac BUT when it comes to beloved penny NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Most of the cats in here talking weren't even old enough to appreciate Penny in his prime
wrong

What are you talking about?

We're talking about the man's potential and you're angrily rambling as usual.

He was a 6'7" POINT GUARD with elite vision and passing ability, who could score with anyone in the league and was All-NBA First Team, making it to the Finals in his SECOND SEASON (averaging 20.9 points, 7.2 assists, 4.4 rebounds, and 1.7 steals per game). Dude averaged 24.5 points, 4.8 rebounds and 8 assists, on 50% shooting in the FINALS in his SECOND SEASON. Where do you see overrated in that equation?

Penny's scoring passing, & athleticism were always
eek.gif
He never even hit his prime, which is scary when you think about it. I consider him a great player not because of his potential, but because of what he did from a player standpoint & team standpoint. Potential & injuries aside... He still playe big when he was healthy.

If there ever was a need for a "you mad" gif/jpg, this is it. There was no provocation for this thread other than the OP just hating.

I will say Penny was one of my "favorite" basketball players in the 90's but even with my hometown bias, I think GP was a better "PG".

At the same time, Penny was a better overall basketball player at the time.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I still would take T-Mac in his prime over Penny in his prime, but we have argued that before on here.

The thing is this... WE DIDN'T GET TO SEE HIS PRIME he played 4yrs before blowing his knee, so that's a statement of ignorance DC.

Back
Top Bottom