Penny Hardaway Is THE MOST Overrated Athlete In The History Of NT vol.childhoods got ruined

No it isn't, his prime = his peak. At his peak is all we can go by. When comparing THAT peak to TMAC's peak, give me lazy eyes.

Originally Posted by BigPUNoy

At the same time, Penny was a better overall basketball player at the time. (Than GP)
Other than Rebounding, what did Penny do better than GP? I am not agreeing with the better overall statement (on the surface of things. I am not dismissing it completely).

Penny was better than GP in damn near every aspect of the game except maybe defense.

Penny's second year stats were equal to GP's 6th season.

Please don't talk about a player being overrated and bring up GP as a comparison.

Again I still don't see what you are seeing. I am asking you to help me understand why you think Penny is the undisputed better all around player.

Shooting
Rebounding
Passing (Penny was flashier, don't let that confuse you)
Defense

Maybe someone else can chime in without the, "I shouldn't have to explain my reasoning" attitude.

All you have to do is look at the numbers.

Penny in his 2nd/3rd season had the same numbers as GP in his first 5/6 seasons.

GP's 6th season: 19.3 pts, 2.8 steals, 0.2 blocks, 3.21 TOs, 7.5 assts, 4.2 rebounds
AH 3rd season: 21.7 pts, 2.0 stls, 0.5 blocks, 2.79 TOs, 7.1 assists, 4.3 rebounds on 51% shooting
Compare GP's 2/3/4 years in the league and its not even close..9 - 16 pts a game, 6.2 assists in the best of those years and 3.3 rebounds.

You did not answer my question. How is Penny Hardaway a better all around player than GP. The numbers you posted say nothing other than he scored more. It doesn't say how efficiently he scored. So does someone want to take a stab at it?

He had more points, a higher field goal percentage, better 3pt shooting, better free throw percentage, more assists and less turnovers in the same amount of minutes....what more evidence of efficiency do you need?

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

What are you talking about?

We're talking about the man's potential and you're angrily rambling as usual.

He was a 6'7" POINT GUARD with elite vision and passing ability, who could score with anyone in the league and was All-NBA First Team, making it to the Finals in his SECOND SEASON (averaging 20.9 points, 7.2 assists, 4.4 rebounds, and 1.7 steals per game). Dude averaged 24.5 points, 4.8 rebounds and 8 assists, on 50% shooting in the FINALS in his SECOND SEASON. Where do you see overrated in that equation?
Potential and a few great seasons do not make him one of the best of his era. It just means that there could have been more. But there weren't. So that makes him overrated.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

What are you talking about?

We're talking about the man's potential and you're angrily rambling as usual.

He was a 6'7" POINT GUARD with elite vision and passing ability, who could score with anyone in the league and was All-NBA First Team, making it to the Finals in his SECOND SEASON (averaging 20.9 points, 7.2 assists, 4.4 rebounds, and 1.7 steals per game). Dude averaged 24.5 points, 4.8 rebounds and 8 assists, on 50% shooting in the FINALS in his SECOND SEASON. Where do you see overrated in that equation?
Potential and a few great seasons do not make him one of the best of his era. It just means that there could have been more. But there weren't. So that makes him overrated.

Who said that he was one of the best of his era? He wasn't even 100% for the majority of his era.
Like I said people speak on his potential not his legacy, people always talk about what he could of been and his ability in his first 4 years...in that aspect his production and achievements speaks for itself.

Y'all want to strip him of everything and make it seem like people are crazy when we know what we know.

In 10 years when people talk about how great T-Mac and Brandon Roy were at their best, anti-dudes like y'all will be calling them overrated and nobodies. 

Injuries are part of sports, you can't escape it...but you can't just attempt to erase peoples greatness because you didn't personally witness it.

Nobody called Penny a nobody though. Stop exaggerating please.

People don't speak on his potential, folks "remember" Penny being better than he was for longer than he was. He was on his way but again, his shoes and hold on pop-culture blind folks. Penny was good, when he was good, but that wasn't a long time at all.

Same with Brandon Roy, to a lesser degree. T-Mac had a little more shelf-life, but injuries hurt all 3 of them.

And what is this idea of us not being old enough to remember Penny? Why do you all keep assuming that? LOL

Penny was not better than The Glove, regardless of whatever stats you want to put up.

Originally Posted by zube42

Penny was not better than The Glove, regardless of whatever stats you want to put up.

Yes he was.
A hobbled post-injury Penny was better than GP.

Yes he was.
Whoa, I didn't know you thought THAT. Saying Penny was a better all around player can be argued, but to just say he was better, hmmm. Ok.
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Nobody called Penny a nobody though. Stop exaggerating please.

People don't speak on his potential, folks "remember" Penny being better than he was for longer than he was. He was on his way but again, his shoes and hold on pop-culture blind folks. Penny was good, when he was good, but that wasn't a long time at all.

Same with Brandon Roy, to a lesser degree. T-Mac had a little more shelf-life, but injuries hurt all 3 of them.

And what is this idea of us not being old enough to remember Penny? Why do you all keep assuming that? LOL
Thats all y'all bring up as a counter argument...sneakers and marketing. There are sports journalists who could care less about that stuff and will tell you about Penny's greatness in his first 4 seasons. Nobody thinks he was great for 10 seasons, we know what it is. Maybe his pop-culture cult status skews your perception because you're on NT, where people talk about Foams, retros and Half Cents all day. NT is the Mecca of pop culture so his name is going to be mentioned to a greater degree than is his actual impact but that doesn't change what he was on the court.
Again when people talk about B. Roy and T-Mac they will be talking about what they were at their best and what they could of been. Both of them had limitless potential and were at the top of their respective games when they were 100% but you're gonna have young cats that look back and call them overrated. 

Dude on the last page is talking about reading about Penny and concluding that he was overrated...that speaks to his age. 

Maybe his pop-culture cult status skews your perception because you're on NT, where people talk about Foams, retros and Half Cents all day. NT is the Mecca of pop culture so his name is going to be mentioned to a greater degree than is his actual impact
And this is All I am speaking of man. I always say that NIKETALK overvalues Penny's career.

You gotta separate the perception of his career from that of his merchandise.

Foams are 1 of the best sneakers in sneaker history, Penny's basketball career is not parallel to that of his footwear.

90% of the time people on NT are speaking on Penny's merchandise, not his career.

When we do speak of his career, we are talking about what was and what could have been, in that aspect ain't nothing overrated about what homie brought to the table.

Everyone knows that he didn't have a HoF career but he certainly had the potential to be a HoFer.

Yes he was.
A hobbled post-injury Penny was better than GP.
So if its just based on stats then penny>stockton.gp,nash

How you bringing Stockton and Nash in the convo?

GP never even averaged double digit assists. Nash did 6 times (still playing) and Stockton did 10 times.
I'm talking about Penny and GP. Penny was bigger, stronger, more athletic, a better scorer from all angles, more efficient in every offensive category, and had greater overall potential. Like I showed, It took GP years to achieve the same type of output that Penny had in his couple first seasons. 

Originally Posted by presequel

its true. its nostalgia. i dont think anyone can deny he was talented, but some people act like he was as good as mj, magic, kobe, or even tmac.
this.

Im telling you its the sneakers and his franchise that hyped it up. I love Penny btw

RustyShackleford wrote:
Imagine Kobe Bryant (chill I'm not comparing them as players) knees went out on him after the 2nd championship. So you have three season watching a kid beast and you know he is only going to get better, then boom, he gets injured and you never see it. That's what Penny was, people saw the greatest coming, and were robbed of seeing it.
Thats a good example. Penny is overrated though on this site because of his shoes but its no where near as bad as OP is makin it. Penny was on his way to greatness.

GP never even averaged double digit assists. Nash did 6 times (still playing) and Stockton did 10 times.
I'm talking about Penny and GP. Penny was bigger, stronger, more athletic, a better scorer from all angles, more efficient in every offensive category, and had greater overall potential. Like I showed, It took GP years to achieve the same type of output that Penny had in his couple first seasons. 
Exactly all those things you said about gp can be said about stockton.nash,gp.paul,d.will,j kidd if your going off stats athleticism and output first few seasons is why I brought it up.

He had more points, a higher field goal percentage, better 3pt shooting, better free throw percentage, more assists and less turnovers in the same amount of minutes....what more evidence of efficiency do you need?

jaleel white is that you?

Fam...you're like 40 (or older) and you've been taking the anger of your failed life out on NT'ers half your age for the last decade...lets keep this sports related and not turn it into a roast session.

Originally Posted by dustblaaze

I compare him to his peers at the time, Jason Kidd and Grant Hill. All 3 of them were do it all on the offensive end and all came in the league around the same time and in his short peak years from 94-97, I believe he was better than the both of them.

Like others have said, we weren't able to see him at his prime. JKidd didn't hit his prime til' around 01-04, so who knows what Penny could've done had he not got injured and was able to have healthy years in his late 20's early 30's. If he had kept pace with his prime years before the knee, I think he definitely would've been point guard of the 90s and early 2000s.

This is a great quote coming from Penny about his career:

"I look at it like this," Hardaway said. "In six years, maybe seven, I accomplished more than what most NBA players did in their entire career. I'm All-NBA two or three times, All-Star four times. I did all of this in maybe four years. If it wasn't for all the injuries, I'm pushing for the Hall of Fame."

So true.
Phenomenal quote.  This should end the discussion once and for all.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Exactly all those things you said about gp can be said about stockton.nash,gp.paul,d.will,j kidd if your going off stats athleticism and output first few seasons is why I brought it up.

But they're all different players. Stockon, Nash and Kidd are all pure PGs, their assist numbers and team management blow Penny and GP out of the water. I would never compare or lump them together. But Gary was more of a balanced guard and scorer...aWestbrook type player, so the comparison to Penny is fairer IMO. 
If you were a GM and had to pick between a healthy Penny for 10 seasons or a healthy Payton for 10 seasons, who you going with?

Back
Top Bottom