Pictures of NYC in the 80's

East ny use to be full of Italians and Jewish people way back in the day. Black people, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans took over parts of east ny now. Ninja hood, you should come visit.
laugh.gif
like every time I go up to Washington heights, I would always say "this is like a nicer, cleaner east ny lol" if that makes sense to you
laugh.gif
makes perfect sense, when i went to williamsburg for da very first time once upon a time i said to myself "this place looks like washington heights if white people

came and just kicked all da minorites out, but kept all da buildings more or less da same..."

my cousin lives in east NY right across da street from da pink houses, lets just say he comes to see me waaaay more than i go over there to see him.

This thread is amazing, the theme itself almost deserves its own thread. 

Last edited:
This thread is amazing, the theme itself almost deserves its own thread. 

NT need more threads like this, we used to actually be a cool place

Now every thread turns into a comment section of a youtube video :smh:

I've only been to NY a few times, but Labor Day brooklyn >

BTW just gonna rep Bushwick, and East NY now.

Boy I kind of miss the 80's 90's, or just my childhood

I really need to pick my dad's brain about this era. He'd always tell me wild stories about parties and senseless violence. Usually in the same instance.:lol:

I really need to pick my dad's brain about this era. He'd always tell me wild stories about parties and senseless violence. Usually in the same instance.:lol:

my dad got robbed in an elevator in bushwick back when i was 5, 6 years old. So this around '89 or 90. They basically took a knife and cut his pocket to get his wallet :smh:

Last edited:
Born in 92 at JFK airport :lol:
Lived in Far Rockaway & then Queens. obviously wasn't living in that grimey area but the 90s were still its own story. Can't forget the Hot 97 radio station, either lol... Definitely better than a lot of things we got going on now. My parents were police and detective for the NYPD so my older brother used to watch me a lot. He was a dog in his younger days so he'd take me to the beach or to block parties where he'd get down on the beautiful Spanish women :lol:

I learned a lot at a young age & I don't mean negatively either. But of course there were some wtf moments as a kid. (Sitting outside on the stoop with your friends and seeing a prostitute run by, screaming) was a :lol: moment and a wtf moment all in one.

Miss NY.

This is a great thread just don't turn it into something ugly because of your misdirected pride for a culture,area,someone elses mishap or all of the negative that came along with that era.Remember what you see in a picture created what is now considered normal now across the country and the world.It went from slacks,hard bottom shoes of the disco era to levi's and the latest greatest tennis sneaker as everyday attire.

It's amazing how you can look at a few pictures and see the poverty but it doesn't reflect on the people as bad as you might think it would.But one things for sure is that you see from the peoples facial expressions how serious life was,even on the small children faces there's a look of "this isn't a game we're playing here" so by the 1990's if you still alive and ok you probably felt like a gangster or atleast take on the mental mentality of one because you have seen the bad and the ugly.

One things for sure though is that a lot of dudes now need to be thankful for their freedom today to be able to walk around with such pricey items,stand in line for the latest and greatest material items because if this was the 1980's the majority of you would be a walking,talking meal to a bunch of wolves on the prowl.

:smokinGreat thread

Great thread.

Unfortunately, a LOT of areas in Chicago, St. Louis, and Detroit (among other cities I'm sure) are still like this. :frown:

I was born in NY .... Hempstead to be exact.... January of 81 -- hence the screen name

I grew up like Sonny in Paid In Full... mom's brother sold more coke than a little bit 

always had the newest everything... BMW auto, BMW motorcycle...  worked at the barber shop to pretend he actually had a job  

had another uncle like Ice... always into some dirtbag **** 

all the **** i see these kids wearing today trying to look "retro", been there done that when it was AUTHENTIC...

nothing wrong with bringing back an era, but these kids be doing it ALL WRONG....

my dad got robbed in an elevator in bushwick back when i was 5, 6 years old. So this around '89 or 90. They basically took a knife and cut his pocket to get his wallet :smh:
:rofl: :smh:

My father was running through the Bronx in the late 70s-early 80s. Glad I missed that era. He has multiple stab wounds.:lol:

I remember my father getting mugged several times around the 80's. He was in our building elevator once and some dude pressed him for his wallet.

Another time, I was walking home with my aunt who had just picked me up from school. I was holding her hand, and some dude yanked her necklace from behind. I remember my aunt screeching and me looking back at this guy who laughed in front of my aunts face after yanking her chain and runs off.

I do not miss that era of NYC :smh:

Back
Top Bottom