Planning a trip to Japan any tips would help.

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Hopefully, I'll be teaching there in a few years with the JET program. Let me know how it goes.
Good luck with the JET program. Have you been to Japan before?

my dad's camera
laugh.gif
, the guy makes ninty thousand a year and still uses this camera.

twenty-five dollar unlimted metro card > octopus card
laugh.gif

2hy9qtu.jpg

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Originally Posted by dstylezs

Was there a few years ago, I made a big thread about it then, not sure if its still around.. My honest advice is go out and get lost. You'll enjoy every minute of it... Yes it is sneakerhead heaven, but make sure you appreciate all that Japan has to offer other than sneaker related.. You will remember it more when you come home, and it will make you want to go back many times over...
Dont take cabs anywhere as they literally charge and arm and a leg.. The japanese subway system is bar non one of the best, and getting around that way its the easiest way... Food is incredible and like the rule of thumb goes, the smaller and more hole in the wall the place looks, the more amazing the food taste.. If going out to clubs and such remember that the metro closes at 2 or 3a, i think, but opens back up at 6ish.. so if you cant make it before then just stay out and have more fun hahaha..
I remember there were 3-5 NTers that lived there, but im not sure if they still do as this was a few years back (2005)

Hope that helps.. If you got any specific questions dont hesitate to ask.
The subway shuts down around midnight. Most people go out to clubs on the last train and just stay out until morning when trains start running again.

Try to visit somewhere besides Tokyo. The city is great but it can be exhausting and there is so much more to the country.

It helps if you speak/read a little Japanese, especially if you are out in the country, where many of the signs are in Japanese and people do not speak English as fluently.

Whatever you do, do not get into any fights.
Thats a common rule anywhere you go though...

Originally Posted by Lrrr

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Was there a few years ago, I made a big thread about it then, not sure if its still around.. My honest advice is go out and get lost. You'll enjoy every minute of it... Yes it is sneakerhead heaven, but make sure you appreciate all that Japan has to offer other than sneaker related.. You will remember it more when you come home, and it will make you want to go back many times over...
Dont take cabs anywhere as they literally charge and arm and a leg.. The japanese subway system is bar non one of the best, and getting around that way its the easiest way... Food is incredible and like the rule of thumb goes, the smaller and more hole in the wall the place looks, the more amazing the food taste.. If going out to clubs and such remember that the metro closes at 2 or 3a, i think, but opens back up at 6ish.. so if you cant make it before then just stay out and have more fun hahaha..
I remember there were 3-5 NTers that lived there, but im not sure if they still do as this was a few years back (2005)

Hope that helps.. If you got any specific questions dont hesitate to ask.
The subway shuts down around midnight. Most people go out to clubs on the last train and just stay out until morning when trains start running again.

Try to visit somewhere besides Tokyo. The city is great but it can be exhausting and there is so much more to the country.

It helps if you speak/read a little Japanese, especially if you are out in the country, where many of the signs are in Japanese and people do not speak English as fluently.

Whatever you do, do not get into any fights.
Thats a common rule anywhere you go though...
You do not want to get arrested in Japan, especially if you are a foreigner.

people be riding their bikes on the side walk. there were many times where I almost died because of this.

tokyo was cool. i lived there for 3 months and i left sept 28th. been living in bangkok ever since... if you got questions feel free to shoot me a PM

If you have any visible tattoos, cover em up.. I wasn't allowed to go into some places like gyms and bath houses because of my tattoo sleeves.. tattoos =yakuza

Steals on sneakers in Japan?

JR Pass is a good idea. Helps if you're planning to 'getlost' since you won't even have to think about how much it costs to get from place to place so you can get on and off the JR as much as you like andcheck stuff out. Hardly rode the metro but that $25 unlimited pass sounds nice since you might need to ride both. Trains stop around midnight so plan toeither head out or head back around 11:30pm unless you want to waste money on taxis. Alcohol is sold 24-7 and you can prettymuch drink in public also.

Jorudan is a good site to figure out what routed to takebut be advised it mixes up JR and metro and bus transpo so choose accordingly.

Learning a few key phrases and place names will also help if you plan to 'get lost'. If you don't know the language stick to places with pictureson the menu. Try to not eat at fast food places otherwise you kind of defeat the purpose of being there.

Sidewalks are narrow in a lot of places and crowded. Definitely watch out for the people on bikes riding on the sidewalk that don't seem to care. And thenthey go make the sidewalk even narrower by parking them wherever. Addresses are confusing as well...

Originally Posted by sonunox34

How hard is it to get around if you know absolutely zero Japanese?

Its fairly easy... Once you get used to the stops, and where things are you will get around quicker.. But the fun is in getting lost and exploring..you'll never know what you'll find out once you get lost, the options are endless!

Originally Posted by Sacking2023

Taking a trip to Japan the Summer of 2010. I was wondering if anyone has been there before. Or possibly lives there now. Or you just have ideas on what I should do while there. Any trip ideas would be helpful.

SacKing2023

Bring lots of money. Go to Roppungi but stay away from the africans and there clubs. Go to Kobe for sure. Place is beautiful
eek.gif
. Who are you going with? Canyou speak?

Oh yeah, I got a rail pass for the JR lines. It was 250 for like 10 days or something. Its worth it because a one way trip from tokyo to osaka via shinkansenis about 150
smh.gif
. I probably saved 500+ bucks no joke. Because I was traveling all over

Originally Posted by sonunox34

How hard is it to get around if you know absolutely zero Japanese?

Inner cities it will be cake. But once you travel in get into the non tourist spots its a WARP

Originally Posted by Kakashi

Originally Posted by viiheaven

People there were extra friendly. Any time I got lost or needed any sort of help, people definitely tried their best to help out.

edit By the way, I live in New York (Queens) and the flight was 19 hours with a stopover in San Fran.
Yo this is no joke!!!.. My buddy and I took the subway from narita airport to our hotel in Shibuya(about 30min trip), we couldnt find the damn place to save our lifes, asked random dude for directions, without asking he grabbed one of our bags (we had 5 total) and walked us for 12 blocks to the front of the hotel, no questions asked nothing, just straight up friendly helping out a stranger... Dont be scared to ask for help, anyone and everyone will help.
laugh.gif
hope no one takes this the wrong way,

but if you're black and dress nice, they wanna take picture with you and assume you're famous...it's awsome to see.
roll.gif

Seriously. I'm black, 6 foot 200 lbs and I speak japanese. They were absolutely losing thier minds. Me and my friend would take pics and I would ask randompeople nearby to take the pic for us in japanese and they would trip
eek.gif
laugh.gif
, I have so many stories fam. The best one was when we went on this double datewith the FLYEST japanese girls. We ended up at this place playing pool. It was packed. full of highschool kids (all wearing suits
pimp.gif
). Most of them are madintimidated or just nervous, but this one kid (good lookin confident type dude) could speak decent english and came up to me to talk. He asked me what sports Iliked etc, and then he asked if I could dunk. I was like "yeah." So he's like "waaaaaa!?" (wow). He startes looking around all frantic,and then he points out this bar type thing that crosses the ceiling...and ask me if I can touch it. it was 9 feet high maybe
laugh.gif
. Keep in mind there are like30 peeps watching in complete silence. So I just casually jump up at touch it two hands and the y FLIP
eek.gif
roll.gif
. Like they start trippin
laugh.gif
. Bowing tome, running up and giveing high fives. They ask me to do it numerous times so that they can get it recorded oh cell phones and stuff. It was too funny man.Damn, I love nihon, can't wait till I go to Waseda Dai gaku
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom