Possible Job offer in Fairfax, VA

Whats up NTers of DMV,

I may be looking ahead, but I like to prepare myself. Anyway, I will be flying into Dulles, for a job interview located in Fairfax. I have been scouting the VA side of places to live and folks in the Job thread, were helpful enough in suggesting possible locations to move to. If I do get the job offer, my wife and daughter (7 m/o) will be making the move. 

After getting some input from @NazDrowie  and other DMV folks, they mentioned that Fairfax is way to expensive and I should look into finding a place at Prince William County or Woodridge (I'm probably butchering the names of the area, if I am, apologizes.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on other cities that I should consider looking into? I was thinking Ashburn and maybe Centreville? But I don't know too much about those cities and the crime rates.

So if anyone could provide some in-depth suggestions of cities' cost of living, their crime rates, things to do, etc. That would be helpful!

Thanks!

where did u live before?

I live in the PG area, the best advice I can give you is prepare for traffic. RUSH HOUR is crazy round here

where did u live before?

I live in the PG area, the best advice I can give you is prepare for traffic. RUSH HOUR is crazy round here
I'm from California.

I had a taste of the traffic, when I was there yesterday. The construction definitely doesn't help.

I live in Southern PG myself, traffic like person before me said SERIOUS, Drive slow brother.
Manassas, Chantilly are reasonable affordable. Look into Falls Church aswell

Don't worry about crime rates if you're looking into VA; there really isn't such a thing as hood in NoVA.

Sweet. Thanks for all the insight. I've currently been looking all over from Ashburn to Woodbridge and planning on looking into Manassas.

How about shoe spots and all that good stuff? Is that all located in DC?

Sweet. Thanks for all the insight. I've currently been looking all over from Ashburn to Woodbridge and planning on looking into Manassas.

Shoe Spot on Wisconsin Ave nw (I for got name sorry). :smokin

Alright, I'll have to check this out after I get settled.

I just looked at the prices for a new townhome in Oak Hill, VA...Smh. Looks like an apartment is the ideal choice for me and the family right now. lol

The shoe spot mention earlier is called kickspott its in the heart of Georgetown.

Look into Gainsville breh! Newer city a little past manassas but would be decent since your jobs gonna be in fairfax! best of luck bro!

Look into Gainsville breh! Newer city a little past manassas but would be decent since your jobs gonna be in fairfax! best of luck bro!
Thanks for the insight...But I've been told a commute from Manassas is already bunz lol.

Also this is the first time moving to a region where it snows in the winter. I'm still a level one in snow driving lmao.

This is the silliest post I've read in a while
mean.gif
So, I'm sure there are some 'sketch' places to be around in NoVa?

I've been told to avoid Manassas and Woodbridge lol.

Last edited:
So, I'm sure there are some 'sketch' places to be around in NoVa?

I've been told to avoid Manassas and Woodbridge lol.

What's your budget? That would probably be most helpful. When do you plan on moving out here? Do you want to buy or rent?

Most of Manassas and Woodbridge are lower income than the rest of Northern VA. However, there are some hidden gems scattered in the higher income areas, (Loudoun, Fairfax) that don't cost an arm and a leg. You just have to find them.

What's your budget? That would probably be most helpful. When do you plan on moving out here? Do you want to buy or rent?

Most of Manassas and Woodbridge are lower income than the rest of Northern VA. However, there are some hidden gems scattered in the higher income areas, (Loudoun, Fairfax) that don't cost an arm and a leg. You just have to find them.
Word. Most likely will stay near Fairfax the first year due to being new to the area and being near my job. 

Whats up NTers of DMV,

I may be looking ahead, but I like to prepare myself. Anyway, I will be flying into Dulles, for a job interview located in Fairfax. I have been scouting the VA side of places to live and folks in the Job thread, were helpful enough in suggesting possible locations to move to. If I do get the job offer, my wife and daughter (7 m/o) will be making the move. 

After getting some input from @NazDrowie  and other DMV folks, they mentioned that Fairfax is way to expensive and I should look into finding a place at Prince William County or Woodridge (I'm probably butchering the names of the area, if I am, apologizes.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on other cities that I should consider looking into? I was thinking Ashburn and maybe Centreville? But I don't know too much about those cities and the crime rates.

So if anyone could provide some in-depth suggestions of cities' cost of living, their crime rates, things to do, etc. That would be helpful!

Thanks!
Fairfax/Alexandria/Annadale is too expensive for the area that it is in. I'm moving out of Alexandria by the end of the month. You're better off going to Woodbridge (if you can deal with the long commute) or someplace in MD as VA taxes are brutal.

If you can't do MD or DC, then Centreville may be an option or Williamsburg if you can find a good place there

Yeah, I can see why the prices in Fairfax are pricey. 

The closer you get to DC, the more expensive.

Opted to find a place at the Mosaic District for our first year, to get situated with the area. There's a shuttle that goes to the Dunn Loring stop, so it's really convenient for me.

Now, it's time to explore this area and get a feel what NoVA has to offer.

Dude congrats! I grew up near the Mosaic District and currently work in Mclean. Let me know if you need anything!

Thank you! Any suggestion on must-eat places in NoVa?

Thanks! Yeah it is a pretty cool area. I find myself at target almost every day lol
Ahh so many spots man. What do you like to eat? Definitely got to try Korean BBQ in Annandale

Ahh so many spots man. What do you like to eat? Definitely got to try Korean BBQ in Annandale
Pretty much open to suggestions. But I am contemplating on trying out that Korean BBQ place in Annandale lol

there's a taylor gourmet in mosaic district. it's pretty much the closest you'll come to philly hoagies/steaks in this area (besides the primo's way out in leesburg). 

Back
Top Bottom