Post your Barber Clippers/Liners: Barber Tools Discussion/Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by trav t, Nov 24, 2012.

1. trav t

trav t

I am not a barber, but this is one of my favorite hobbies. Here's what I'm working with right now:

Andis SpeedMaster II, Wahl 5-Star Senior, Andis T-Outliner, Andis Styliner II Trimmer

I have Pro-Mate blades on my Liners

Fade Blade on the 5-Star Seniors

I hardly use my SpeedMasters any more. They were my first clippers, but they are crap compared to the 5-Star Seniors. The 5-Star Senior is great! I highly recommend them. If you don't feel like dishing out the money, though, you can get the Wahl 5-Star Magic Clip for much less. The never version has the same fade blade and same V9000 motor.

For my liners, I mostly use my T-Outliners. They get hot fast, though, so I have to pull out the Styliners sometimes. I took off the stock Andis T-Blades and replaced them with Pro-Mates. They have deeper teeth, cut much better, and don't rust.

What are your favorite tools?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  2. mrbrown

mrbrown

I have a classic 76

I need a smaller machine to fade and stuff... any suggestions? I was thinking of getting the other Oster fast feed which looks like a smaller Classic 76

Got an old Andis 'speedmaster' with a lever on the side, not really impressed by it.

Been cutting my hair for years now. Still havent tried cutting other peoples hair, just waiting until my son is a little older to get some decent practice in :lol :smokin

3. trav t

trav t

I wouldn't recommend rotary clippers for most of your fading. They are great for taking down hair, though. I think any of these would be great choices:

Oster Fast Feed
    Wahl 5-Star Senior
    Wahl 5-Star Magic Clip
    Wahl Super Taper II
    Andis Master Clippers (if you wanna get really fancy with it)

I recommend the Wahl clippers because they are the best value, don't get too hot, aren't too heavy, and give you the results to rival the Andis Masters. I don't recommend any of the older Wahl models (non-5-Star) because they can get hot really fast.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  4. mkc1983

mkc1983

I only got an Oster Classic 76, and an Andis Outliner. I'm not a barber, just for personal use.

5. shogun

shogun

I'm one of the few that uses the regular Outliner over the T-Outliner. I thought it would be easier to line with the shorter blade. I might try a T-Outliner though if I ever need to replace mine.

6. cj863

cj863

T outliner or style liner II? Just using it for dry shaving & edging my beard 8o

7. julius wrek

julius wrek

Hey_

Any opinions on the Andis Superliner?

Julius F. Wrek

8. trav t

trav t

Sometimes there are tight spaces where I can see the Outliner II being more useful. I like T-blades, though, so I can cut with the corners. You can always just order a T-blade and swap it out with the Outliner II blade. The body of the liners is exactly the same. Only the blades are different.

I prefer the T-Outliner. Its only flaw is that it gets hot after only 10-15 min of use. The Styliner II has a more powerful motor, yet stays cool for longer. You can't go wrong with either one.

I haven't used those, but there are some good reviews on YouTube. I think the barber favorite is still the T-Outliner.

9. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

+1 for the T-outliner with the pro mate blade. It's a good investment. When I used to try to align the blades sharper myself i'd mess up, and the regular blades get duller faster so you end up pressing in more. I usually do a 3-4 month blade rotation on normal ones, but the pro mates have been steady almost a year later. Same as day one. They're not as sharp as you can get the blades to yourself, but sharp enough and safe enough where a little pressure wont jack you up.

trav t and jimmybeanz like this.
  10. currensy

currensy

I need new blades on my t outliners but they still running my clippers are bootycheeks though, cuts come out kinda crappy, thinking about osters cause my barber gave me a cut withem and it was smooth as hell.

11. moneylicious

moneylicious

lookin to switch to the pro mate blades on my t-outliner 2...how much do they go for and where's the cheapest place i can find it?

I need a new clipper for fading. From what i've read so far, i think Im goin with the 5 star seniors.

Edit**

What do you guys think of the Wahl Super Taper II Clippers?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  12. trav t

trav t

I got mine for around $16 shipped on Amazon, but you can probably find better deals on eBay. The Wahl 5-Star Seniors are a great choice. I love them. Others to consider:

Wahl 5-Star Magic Clip (Same blade and motor)
    Oster Fast Feed

These vids are helpful:

13. beezylocks

beezylocks

i got the andis outliner (not t)

do they have a set of clippers i guess you can say? for different sizes and such...?

i or what should i use for my mustache and chin hair?

14. beezylocks

beezylocks

i have the outliner II to be exact, i had the t, but it was harder for me to line up with it because of the length

15. beezylocks

beezylocks

also what is a better blade for the andis outliner II
    link or name please.

16. trav t

trav t

You mean you wanna cut your facial hair with clippers, right?

The stock blades aren't bad, but the Pro-Mate blades cut much better and you don't have to adjust them any closer.

17. atlien seeko

atlien seeko

Super late on my post update, but... Oh well...

I do my cuts. They aren't perfect, but I get closer every cut.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    lyonbc1 and trav t like this.
  18. trav t

trav t

My friend in college used them. He's one of the best I know, and he gave super clean fades with them.

19. trav t

trav t

So I was using my Styliner II's and then they started making this loud noise. I thought maybe the power was adjusted too high, so I got a flathead screwdriver and tried turning it counter-clockwise. It didn't solve it. It seems like the lower blade is not moving. Maybe it's the tension screw that needs to be loosened? Any suggestions?

20. ohmygosher

ohmygosher

For all my bald brothers....

[​IMG]