Post your Barber Clippers/Liners: Barber Tools Discussion/Questions

Is it hard to cut your own hair? you can save thousands doing so but is it worth it to get it professionally done let me know

It depends on the cut. If you have longer hair, then you're gonna need some help on the blending. If you're just running a guard through the top of your hair, then it is very possible to do. All you gotta worry about is getting good at fading/blending. The edge up can be challenging, though. I can't tell you how many times I've messed up on the hook of my sideburns and had to have an experienced friend fix it :lol:.

i ordered these oster 76 classics from amazon and they just came in today. :smokin

View media item 167454

Nice pick up! I always thought those looked cool because they look like a lightsaber hilt :lol:.

Last edited:
Just a quick question: Ive decided on getting a T-Outliner to maintain my beard but I came across another model by Andis called the GTX which is apparently an upgraded version with all black casing. Does anyone have any feedback/experience with it?

The GTX version has a blade with deeper teeth that is similar to the Pro-Mate blades. It cuts a little better.

^ Thanks, the GTX is like 5 bucks more and I like the housing so I figured why not; Just wanted to make sure it was equivalent or better than the OG

^ Thanks, the GTX is like 5 bucks more and I like the housing so I figured why not; Just wanted to make sure it was equivalent or better than the OG

Yeah, no problem! I actually wish I had the GTX version. The all black casing looks slick.

For all my bald brothers....

41p46YdW0LL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is good for a really close shave for my black dudes/dudes with sensitive skin.

all i do is shave all the way around with no guard, whats the best pair to get so i dont have to keep buying the cheap ones every 6 months

Nice pick up! I always thought those looked cool because they look like a lightsaber hilt :lol:.

used it yesterday and its :smokin gos thru hair like a hot knife thru butta.. this is like 10x better than my old Wahl
the motor is super loud doe :x

Last edited:
Hey what's that little tool that helps you align the blades on the andis trimmers?

I remember they were posted on here a while back, but I don't remember what they were called.

About the thread though...

I have the regular Andis Outliner the one without the T blade (probably going to upgrade to those promate blades since you guys recommend it), I have the Wahl 5 Star Seniors in black and I have all of those color coded guard clips that go on the Seniors to take my hair down if needed, I have the Styleliner 2 that I hardly use, and I have the Andis Masters that I hardly use now too since I started messing with the Seniors more and more.

Hey what's that little tool that helps you align the blades on the andis trimmers?

I remember they were posted on here a while back, but I don't remember what they were called.

About the thread though...

I have the regular Andis Outliner the one without the T blade (probably going to upgrade to those promate blades since you guys recommend it), I have the Wahl 5 Star Seniors in black and I have all of those color coded guard clips that go on the Seniors to take my hair down if needed, I have the Styleliner 2 that I hardly use, and I have the Andis Masters that I hardly use now too since I started messing with the Seniors more and more.

Anivo Blade Setter Pro

Amazon product ASIN B007JWC9Y2
If you get the Pro-Mate blades, you won't need to readjust them, though. The factory setting is already close. Nice clippers/trimmers you have there! I have all of the same ones, minus the Andis Masters.

Last edited:
I will say this. Since our hair (black men) isn't usually straight, we should avoid putting razors on our faces. We are more prone to razor bumps and in-grown hairs. I suggest using T-Outliners to shave.

Of course you know that you can get a closer shave depending on how dry you face is at the time.
What I do is wash my face with soap and let the soap just sit on my face for about 7 mins. Then I wipe it off, and let my face dry for like 10 mind until it is completely dry. Then I shave with the T-Outliners.

Anyone recommend a good set of clippers for me? I shave my head once a week with no clip so it's a close shave. I don't go down to the skin, it's extremely close though. My wahl clippers i've owned for at least three years and they are dull as hell. Bought them at Target back in the day, don't know much about this stuff so i don't know what's good. Looking to spend $40 max. Thanks.

EDIT: Came across this, looks pretty good and within my price range.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Andis-Headliner-12-Piece-Home-Hair-Cutting-Kit/9207648

Last edited:
Anyone recommend a good set of clippers for me? I shave my head once a week with no clip so it's a close shave. I don't go down to the skin, it's extremely close though. My wahl clippers i've owned for at least three years and they are dull as hell. Bought them at Target back in the day, don't know much about this stuff so i don't know what's good. Looking to spend $40 max. Thanks.

EDIT: Came across this, looks pretty good and within my price range.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Andis-Headliner-12-Piece-Home-Hair-Cutting-Kit/9207648

Those are liners that you posted. I wouldn't recommend them unless you're trying to go really really close. They will cut closer than a 0. For your price range, something like the Wahl 5-Star Magic Clip would be a great choice. Affordable price, outstanding clipper.

Those are liners that you posted. I wouldn't recommend them unless you're trying to go really really close. They will cut closer than a 0. For your price range, something like the Wahl 5-Star Magic Clip would be a great choice. Affordable price, outstanding clipper.

Thank you sir, i'll look into these.

i got the andis outliner (not t)
do they have a set of clippers i guess you can say? for different sizes and such...?
i or what should i use for my mustache and chin hair?

You mean you wanna cut your facial hair with clippers, right?

also what is a better blade for the andis outliner II
link or name please.

The stock blades aren't bad, but the Pro-Mate blades cut much better and you don't have to adjust them any closer.

Amazon product ASIN B001TM077O

this is for the fist question...

yea so, i dont like my mustache/chin hair veyr long at all, but its to short to just cut with the blade its self, i might as well shave if imma do that.... i have the andis outliner... not with the t-blade...(had that joint but i would be so scared to hit my eyebrow wile doing my line up)...

any ways.... can i use the outliner i have, with clippers on it? so i can trim my facial hair? I want like the smallest guard possible...
i copped some on amazon, but the dont let the blade move, so it doesnt cut... and i have the ones from my old t-outliner but those dont let the blade move to much either...

sorry if this is confusing... please help

Last edited:
i got the andis outliner (not t)
do they have a set of clippers i guess you can say? for different sizes and such...?
i or what should i use for my mustache and chin hair?

You mean you wanna cut your facial hair with clippers, right?

also what is a better blade for the andis outliner II
link or name please.

The stock blades aren't bad, but the Pro-Mate blades cut much better and you don't have to adjust them any closer.

Amazon product ASIN B001TM077O

this is for the fist question...

yea so, i dont like my mustache/chin hair veyr long at all, but its to short to just cut with the blade its self, i might as well shave if imma do that.... i have the andis outliner... not with the t-blade...(had that joint but i would be so scared to hit my eyebrow wile doing my line up)...

any ways.... can i use the outliner i have, with clippers on it? so i can trim my facial hair? I want like the smallest guard possible...
i copped some on amazon, but the dont let the blade move, so it doesnt cut... and i have the ones from my old t-outliner but those dont let the blade move to much either...

sorry if this is confusing... please help

Nah, I get what you're saying. When I trim beards, I always use clippers with either a 2 guard (2/8 in) or 1 guard (1/8 in). I know what you're talking about, and it's those guards that click onto the Outliners, right? Liners aren't really meant for taking hair down to a desired size. They are meant for outlining. I suggest you invest in some clippers if you really want to trim your facial hair. They don't have to be expensive ones, but just know that the cheaper ones will occasionally pull on the hair.

Also, I need an explanation behind your avy :lol:. I always catch myself staring at it for 15 seconds.

Just ordered the 5 Star Magic Clips off of the info from this thread. Thinking of getting the Andis GTX too. Thanks fellas :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom