Post your Barber Clippers/Liners: Barber Tools Discussion/Questions

Google says otherwise.

I'm looking to do a basic haircut.
Then why you asking here
That reason is obvious.

Some of the resources you posted are not beneficial to beginners like me.

I'd much rather start from somewhere(little to no cost) rather than shelling out $100s to attempt something I have no skill in.

It's like buying an expensive guitar without knowing how to play it.

That reason is obvious.

I'd much rather start from somewhere(little to no cost) rather than shelling out $100s to attempt something I have no skill in.

Its is for beginners.  You cant compare a guitar to this. Your not learning how to use something, your learning how to cut your hair. Its like learning how to draw

and nothing I posted is expensive , the videos are only $30 or all 4 total volume for $100

Alex the barber videos is $9.99

Anybody want to chip in to cop the the videos??

Its is for beginners.  You cant compare a guitar to this. Your not learning how to use something, your learning how to cut your hair. Its like learning how to draw

and nothing I posted is expensive , the videos are only $30 or all 4 total volume for $100

I agree with everything you said except for buying the selfcut mirors and somevideos.

I been cutting my hair for 3-4 years now and all i need is handheld mirror and a big mirror (in the bathroom).

Also for tutorial i started from youtube.com and just taking notes for next time when i cut my hair.

Of course first 2-3 times i made mistake and had to shave my head but other than it becomes easier the more u try.

I agree with everything you said except for buying the selfcut mirors and somevideos.

I been cutting my hair for 3-4 years now and all i need is handheld mirror and a big mirror (in the bathroom).

Also for tutorial i started from youtube.com and just taking notes for next time when i cut my hair.

Of course first 2-3 times i made mistake and had to shave my head but other than it becomes easier the more u try.

I cut my hair for years without the self-cut mirror. It's definitely possible, but having 3 mirrors makes life so much easier. Still one of my best purchases over the years.

good guy actually know the dude he is good along with mr taper lady barber doll and cutting your own hair is easy/difficult depending on style and a few other things... yrs with a master barber license and i still dont taper my back as well on myself as i could do on others or someone does on me

a few pointers...

1. go with the grain when doing even all overs... also a nice little tip...comb the hair with the guard only to get a feel of how much will be taken off

2. learn how the pattern of your hair grow.... including swirls and indentions, cowlicks and different texture of your hair... typically most ppl hair grows anywhere from 3-5 different directions..and usually have atleast 2 textures to their hair...

3. when first starting out divide your head in sections of four... and cut each section parallel to one another..

4. when doing hair line start center point and work your way out...

5. when blending start with your lowest guard and gradually go up a guard every half/quarter in or so... then use the last biggest guard you used to go over the entire section that you did...But cut in the oposite direction.. That will lay down and blend the hair.. Also take a tight soft bristle brush and brush the hair as you trnasition from each section...

6. also use the corner blade/teeth of the clippers and slowly progress thru the hair.. that will make the transition that much smoother..

7. if your trying to do a temp on the sides... come at it at about a 45 degree angle and go about half way/quarter way under the tip of your ear... zIf you want a bald temp use no guard and zero out the blades...

8. from that point slowly go up a quarter inch and up the blade each quarter inch till you get about a inch a little more then a inch up... Again constantly brushing the hair down to ensure its blending evenly..

9, Again like early go over it with the highest setting/guard used and go the oposite way you cut all the way down to the balding point...

10. when doing the sides use the corner end of the clipper and basically arc the cut in one complete motion... That will set your guide line... Then after that just using the zero blade cut all the hair away from the guideline you made.. Put a little pressure and just glide it away from the guideline you made....

If i think off any other helpfull hints ill let you know... Also while im at it if you wanna get the snag loose hairs either 1. Get a pair of wahls 5 star shaper shaver and cut the loose hairs... or 2. for a better more clean look use a pair of sheers and and press the sheers against your head and do smooth sweeping cuts across your hair never letting up off your head or youll end up cutting the loose hairs uneven and will be doing it all day... The bigger the sheers the faster better the results will be

That reason is obvious.

cutting is a little different cheap clippers and no skills equal not so great cut... even though i havent cut professional in awhile (actually thinking about doing it since business is kinda slow.... i can cut with some cheap axx walmart wahls some scissors and a face shaver... but trying to cheap out in the beg can go good or bad depending on how well/fast you pick it up.

See the thing is the more expensive clippers one have a much powerful motor thus making cutting less of an effort and has more gauges/guards aka make the transition from different hair lengths more gradual.

The teeth are finer thus the differencr in hair cutting length isnt so great... Therefore as a beg if you cut a little to deep it wont be as noticable on a more expensive pair as it would a much cheaper pair...

Im not suggesting going out getting some bgrs ah nothing but going getting some dog grooming clippers if you are clueless or dont pick up quick you wont have a very good cut and it will be shadowing.. different lengths etc... now on certain cuts it isnt that bad noticable.. but like with high fades hell fades in general mo/frohawks.. nappy temps.. pretty much temps in general it can look kinda suspect..

To be honest especially with hairlines i would go with andi t-outliners.. or the styliners 2... sure a reg will cut and line you up but depending on your hairgrade and texture it might not be sharp/crisp... As far as all around speedmasters/fademasters/andi masters..wahl pros a few others... i mean there are a few cheap 50 dollar sets that are ok.. but when you start talking about those 25 buck sets.. the degree of error really diminsh and if you f up trust me youll f up and you will end up doing a kobe at worst ...

That reason is obvious.

You don't need to spend more than ~$80 to have a legit beginner set up. This is what I bought off amazon + clipper care spray. Don't pay for any classes, there's lots of youtube videos check out cakenisrandy, vincethebarber and few others for tutorial's on different cuts.

It sounds like you want to cut your hair the same as I do mine, which is a 1 all over & lined up, nothing else, real simple cut that that I can do in 25-30 mins. Hardest part is cutting the back but I'm used to it now using a big mirror behind me + a hand mirror in front of me works. fades & tapers take a little more skill/technique, but it only last a week so I don't mess with that.

View media item 665316

Last edited:
You don't need to spend more than ~$80 to have a legit beginner set up. This is what I bought off amazon + clipper care spray. Don't pay for any classes, there's lots of youtube videos check out cakenisrandy, vincethebarber and few others for tutorial's on different cuts.

It sounds like you want to cut your hair the same as I do mine, which is a 1 all over & lined up, nothing else, real simple cut that that I can do in 25-30 mins. Hardest part is cutting the back but I'm used to it now using a big mirror behind me + a hand mirror in front of me works. fades & tapers take a little more skill/technique, but it only last a week so I don't mess with that.
I would pay for the pacino classes. You get what you put out. he is the best barber around so a measly $50-$100 is nothing if it will have your hair on slam and save you trips to barber.. 3 haircuts by yourself will pay for the videos or class

If your in college a student can get some major $$$ if they can cut hair real good

Im at the point now that i can cut the back of my head without a mirror and even taper it. I dont use 2nd mirror anymore ,well every now and then i will
I woukdnt buy the wahls either. They are fade clippers.

Last edited:
Here are all the products I plan on purchasing:
Is blade oil better than cool care plus or it doesn't matter?
Does it matter which outliner I get? I just want a trimmer that won't get too hot and does an adequate job. Would the gtx trimmer be the best?

Here are some products that I'm iffy about:

masking tape http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008664QXW/?tag=niketalk0e-20

Is masking tape necessary to do a shape up?

shaver shaper http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FJ2I2O/?tag=niketalk0e-20

Is this necessary? All I want is a 1' all over that's fairly even.

Would someone look over the items to see if they're necessary or if you have a better product in mind. Also please recommend me some items that you think I would need.

All I'm trying to do is cut my hair really short all over without fading it and edge up my hairline.

Is what I have suitable or do I need other products?

Thank you to all the thread contributors.

This info is life changing.

I went with:
  • wahl 5* magic clipper
  • t-outliner
  • wahl shaver shaper
  • duffle bag

Last edited:

Here are all the products I plan on purchasing:
Is blade oil better than cool care plus or it doesn't matter?
Does it matter which outliner I get? I just want a trimmer that won't get too hot and does an adequate job. Would the gtx trimmer be the best?

Here are some products that I'm iffy about:

masking tape http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008664QXW/?tag=niketalk0e-20

Is masking tape necessary to do a shape up?

shaver shaper http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FJ2I2O/?tag=niketalk0e-20

Is this necessary? All I want is a 1' all over that's fairly even.

Would someone look over the items to see if they're necessary or if you have a better product in mind. Also please recommend me some items that you think I would need.

All I'm trying to do is cut my hair really short all over without fading it and edge up my hairline.

Is what I have suitable or do I need other products?

Thank you to all the thread contributors.

This info is life changing.
cool care more or less is an all in one cleaner and disinfectant. i personal still use clipper oil... i dont use a brush cause it isnt sanitary.... i mean think about it... if someone has dandruff/dirt and you use a brush....sure youre gonna get it off a persons face/hair etc, but your also gonna get a fair amount inside the bristles of the brush and thats how transfer occurs.

I would go with a 3way mirror for the beg...to you get use to it then you can gradually go to aa large hand mirror to possibly no mirror at all.

Also get a small soft bristle brush (about the size of a baby doll brush) or a very soft bristle toothbrush. this is good for brushing those small/fine hairs in the grooves/teeth of the clippers.

Many ppl will say use alcohol/sea breeze to clean up around the nape/hairline etc... I personally dont cause sometimes it irratates ppl skin and causes bumps... I personally use witch hazel.

To disinfect things like sheers, and your guards brushes etc.. Go with at least 75% or higher rubbing alcohol. Anything less then that (whats typically on the shelf) does nothing. It doesnt clean disinfect anything.

Also check your blades etc.... before using. They sometimes arent sharp/too sharp. You dont wanna put it too your head and barely cut anything, or worse cut to deep and draw blood.

Also if you are gonna make it kinda sharp with the hairline...get a styptic (sp) pencil...its kinda like a chalk similiar to pool chalk. It clots and eliminates blood. tho i wouldnt recommend adjusting the blades/teeth too close till you are comfortable doing so.

some ppl complain about the clippers running hot...if its an issue just get you some cycling/work gloves with the finger tips removed

using a str8 razor can be easy difficcult...all depends on your touch. The razor doesnt matter so much as the blades. And a trick as far as doing hairline...put vaseline around the base of head...that way you dont accidently cut to deep into your hairline.

As far as the face i would go with a depilitory first before trying to cut with a str8 razor... And if you do... your best bet is to take a rolled up towel and soak it in water and microwave it then wring out excess water and place on face to loosen the skin and hairs on face... Also using gel or a use a foam shaving cream warmed... hot lather machine or hold shaving cream can in hot water... and make it a good lather... and also wipe clean the blade after each stroke. And also go with the grain/growth of the hair.. and stretch the skin as you shave so you dont have to go over areas multiple times. The more you go over the more likihood skin irritation aka bumps.

Last edited:
Looking to buy some Oster Fast Feeds later today.

Maybe one you guys can help...I have Andis Outliners at the moment and my skin turns a little black after each line-up...
I don't think my clippers are dirty since I usually clean them. What could be the problem?

I have gotten nicer with it fellas. :smokin
I use Magic Clip, T-Outliner, Headliner, bathroom wall & handheld mirror.

Maybe one you guys can help...I have Andis Outliners at the moment and my skin turns a little black after each line-up...
I don't think my clippers are dirty since I usually clean them. What could be the problem?
Not sure what you mean by a little black. If I had to guess I'd say they're too sharp & cutting you resulting in a scab. Speaking of cleaning, what do you guys use to disinfect/oil? Currently using some Virucidal H42 because I got it for free.

its scabbing from either the teeth being to close aka to sharp, or you are pressing to hard with. You lightly press at where your line is the gently in a swift motion, pull away from the scalp.

I have gotten nicer with it fellas.
smokin.gif

I use Magic Clip, T-Outliner, Headliner, bathroom wall & handheld mirror.
Not sure what you mean by a little black. If I had to guess I'd say they're too sharp & cutting you resulting in a scab. Speaking of cleaning, what do you guys use to disinfect/oil? Currently using some Virucidal H42 because I got it for free.

its scabbing from either the teeth being to close aka to sharp, or you are pressing to hard with. You lightly press at where your line is the gently in a swift motion, pull away from the scalp.

Thanks fellas. That makes sense. My teeth are fairly sharp so I'll probably just readjust it later.

It looks like a big scar across his head. I saw a player on the thunder with a similar kind of line. Looks dumb.

You guys should follow ANTHONYTHEBARBER916 on IG - He is :pimp:

One of the other barbers in the shop SKILLSTHEBARBER is/was an OG NTer

Alright fambs. Been cutting my own hair for a few months now. Think I'm going to cut it one mroe time and let it grow for a bit. Back when I would hit the barbershop, I would ask for 1 1/2 all over. The Andis I bought only came with at the lowest, 1/16 blade. I want to get my hair this low:

View media item 964397View media item 964395
How I used to get it cut:

Which guard to I need to buy to get it that low?

Pretty sure Westbrook gets a 1 all over. If it's shorter than that then it could be a zero fully open? doubt it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom