\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

Direct Injection​

The new EcoTec3 engines use direct fuel injection, which precisely meters fuel directly into the cylinders, to optimize combustion over a broad range of conditions. The engines also feature a new cylinder-head design and a new, sculpted piston to optimize the mixing of air and fuel in the engine and the burning of the mixture to create power.

The heads features smaller combustion chambers shaped to complement the unique topography of the piston heads. The smaller chamber size and sculpted pistons produce a compression ratio of 11.0:1 or higher, depending on the engine, while the heads features large, rectangular intake ports with a slight twist to enhance mixture motion.

To further enhance combustion, the intake and exhaust valve positions have been switched from previous versions, and the valves are now slightly canted toward the cylinder centerline. Also, the spark plug angle has been revised and the electrode is now closer to the center of the chamber to support optimal combustion.

The pistons feature unique sculpted topography that was optimized via extensive computer analysis to precisely direct the fuel spray for better mixing and more complete combustion. The contours of the piston heads are machined after casting to ensure dimensional accuracy – essential for precise control of mixture motion and the compression ratio.

Cylinder Deactivation​

Cylinder deactivation, also known as Active Fuel Management (AFM), is now standard on all three EcoTec3 engines. The 2014 Silverado and 2014 Sierra make the most of the technology, with improved engine mounts, electronic throttle control, adaptive exhaust systems, improved aerodynamics, low-rolling resistance tires, and other technologies that help the engines operate in four-cylinder mode for longer periods of time, further increasing efficiency.

“GM pioneered cylinder deactivation technology, and we consider it a great technology for improving the efficiency of full-size trucks,” said Lee.

The system uses oil pressure, controlled by the powertrain control module, to deactivate the lifters on selected cylinders, closing the valves for those cylinders. It deactivates four of the cylinders on the V-8 engines and two cylinders on the V-6 under light load conditions – operating the engines as a V-4 – and seamlessly reactivates the cylinders when the driver demands greater power. The transition takes less than 20 milliseconds and is virtually imperceptible.

“This is another great example of using a relatively simple mechanical system and powerful software to provide a real benefit to our customers,” said Lee

TLDR

Keep those intake valves clean!

I use Redline - the best on the market IMHO.

ahhh okay, I'll checkout redline as well

My cylinder deactivation has been deactivated through a tune, all 8 cylinders are always pumping

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 11.37.07 PM.png

finally copped a daily driver
main reason i got this truck was because of the 6.2 plus it has king shocks all around

highway driving was nice, was at 90mph hitting 1800rpm and computer (which is calibrated via handheld tuner for tire size +exhaust+intake) was showing 16mpg which i'm happy with

What you gonna use the bed for.

Im the truck bed inspector around these parts if ya aint know.

main reason i got this truck was because of the 6.2 plus it has king shocks all around

highway driving was nice, was at 90mph hitting 1800rpm and computer (which is calibrated via handheld tuner for tire size +exhaust+intake) was showing 16mpg which i'm happy with

Method wheels?

Damn we really do go in cycles with topics on a bi monthly basis :lol:

Congrats on the new pick up! Do you have any plans for it? I'm looking for newer single cab to replace my older sierra but the market for trucks especially is brutal.

Damn we really do go in cycles with topics on a bi monthly basis :lol:

Congrats on the new pick up! Do you have any plans for it? I'm looking for newer single cab to replace my older sierra but the market for trucks especially is brutal.
ty fam!

not really, previous owner had alot of work done in terms of suspension and all these other small things. its a perfect daily.

If I wanted an EV, I wouldn't buy a Tesla ever. This whole "the fastest 0-60 blah blah blah"....who cares. Where am I gonna use the speed around here. Some of the best driving/handling cars don't have the most power or highest top speed. They have an overall package that makes them a joy to drive.

Plus, they just don't fasciate me enough. Yeah, their tech is really good, but the shenanigans he does, (turning off options that were paid for by the first owner ON THE MSRP, so the subsequent owners have to REPAY for the same item paid for already is some serious BS) isn't a good look.

Plus the styling is blah honestly, and the lack of colors, basically means your going to have to add $5k for a full body wrap if you want anything other than black, white or the occasional red. And don't get me going on the overall quality (paint is SUPER thin, said by an acquaintance who owns the premier XPel shop in my area and owns a 3). If I wanted a lux EV, it's a Taycan all day long. If I wanted a reasonable EV, Ioniq 5/6 or the EV6.

He'll have his fanboys for life, he really will. And at one time, he had the only game in town. But not anymore. There are more choices coming online yearly and that is only going to get the EV segment larger with better cars.
Only reason I would consider buying a Tesla is the full self drive, but I believe they discontinued if not made drastic changes to it. Also I want the roadster that seems to never be coming out. If I had money just lying around and wanted a "family" car I might consider a Tesla but certainly far down the list of cars I want.

Only reason I would consider buying a Tesla is the full self drive, but I believe they discontinued if not made drastic changes to it. Also I want the roadster that seems to never be coming out. If I had money just lying around and wanted a "family" car I might consider a Tesla but certainly far down the list of cars I want.

I just don't get the whole "self-driving" excitement. I have absolutely ZERO interest in that! Obviously some do, but not me. I buy cars TO DRIVE!! Because, I like to drive! 👍

Elon making Tesla toxic in a large part of the relevant market was not something I would have considered before the last 2 years

Teslas didn't interest me due to styling, price, and impracticality of owning a BEV today but Elon closed the door on them being in future consideration

Musk hasn’t operated in a competitive BEV marketplace and what we have learned about him from the Twitter experiment doesn’t bode well for Tesla as competition heats up

Tesla has proven to be good at developing vehicles but not so good at building them. They've struggled to bring production up to speed and the more cars they try to make the longer their development cycle for new models becomes

As other established brands bring their BEVs online their automotive expertise is likely to smoke Tesla from a production, quality, and distribution standpoint. Tesla has had its day imo
Interesting take. A few questions:

Has there been anything in the ‘mainstream’ released from a legacy manufacturer that has been scaled up production wise so far? If I were removing bias as much as possible in my observations, evidence suggests even Kia/Hyundai, which is my favorite automotive OEM to possibly challenge Tesla in that space for a number of reasons, has been late/laggy to get its products ramped up in production.

Again attempting to remove bias: looking at the creators of Ford and others and creating a org chart would read like something from a Neo Nazi manifesto. Some of this families share distant idealisms that are very tangible in structure and hiring/HR practices today. Is that not toxic?

The first gen ‘ground up’ EVs (see Mach E) have had a large list of recalls and issues that haven’t been solved as of this post. That would give me pause about making such assumptions about long term dependency there are things to learn about wiring, processing integration, and battery and material sourcing for EVs.

I had dinner with a top automakers head of purchasing. When Tesla came up, they looked very worried and said ‘they make computers, we make art-time will tell what (the buying public) wants’. Translation: we are going to make and design products the way we’ve have (i.e. true culture change is near impossible in over leveraged, family/board run multinational firms ‘quickly’) always done.

The broader, and more obvious question is-what if the general public doesn’t care about synthetic fake stitching or panel tolerances?

I just don't get the whole "self-driving" excitement. I have absolutely ZERO interest in that! Obviously some do, but not me. I buy cars TO DRIVE!! Because, I like to drive! 👍

For enthusiasts driving, sure. Self driving doesn't make sense at all. But for daily commuting, it can definitely be helpful. Especially for dealing with traffic or on those long boring drives. Plus some people aren't die hard car people like us in here. They just want a comfortable mode of transportation to get them from point A to B.

Nothing is for everybody and it is totally understandable that some won’t like them

BUT, I will say that there is a ton of misinformation fueling many of these statements. Which is disappointing, but all too common. It is clear the majority of you have never driven one or took a deep dive into the business - which is fine. But in that case, you are better off not commenting at all.

driving a Tesla and considering the overall package (safety, performance, cargo space, charging, software, etc) leaves very few competitors. Letting people who HATE EV’s/Teslas ride/drive my car has been of of my favorite things since getting my car.

Ps the taycan is by far the best looking EV out. If tesla opens their charging network to everybody as planned, that may be my next car

Elon is a douche who treats his employees like trash. I don’t need to do a deep dive to tell me that.

Or is that “misinformation”

You like that car that’s fine but don’t come in here sounding like a politician saying we’ve been fed misinformation if we don’t agree. :rofl:

Elon is a douche who treats his employees like trash. I don’t need to do a deep dive to tell me that.

You like that car that’s fine but don’t come in here sounding like a politician saying we’ve been fed misinformation if we don’t agree. :rofl:
i guess for people that take that into consideration when making a purchase, that is relevant. I’ve never worked there, so I wouldn’t know. When I was offered a job there is the only time i considered his workplace culture. Do you not use Amazon either?

i had a friend just buy a car. They are so “anti elon” that they bought a CHEVY BOLT. Lol

And for the record, yes. I would say that the claim that elon “hates all of his employees” is misinformation. But carry on

Yea I have an Amazon account to watch the grand tour and Clarksons farm. Can’t tell you the last time I ordered anything off there.

We all got priorities. I try to buy labor friendly when I can whether it’s a car, clothes or the grocery store I shop at or whatever. I even cop gas from the stations that use union refineries. :lol:

That’s my reason for never owning anything from him and never will.

I’m not saying it’s a trash car because it isn’t. It’s just not someone I’m giving my money to.

Interesting take. A few questions:

Has there been anything in the ‘mainstream’ released from a legacy manufacturer that has been scaled up production wise so far? If I were removing bias as much as possible in my observations, evidence suggests even Kia/Hyundai, which is my favorite automotive OEM to possibly challenge Tesla in that space for a number of reasons, has been late/laggy to get its products ramped up in production.

Off the top of my head I don't think there has been yet. My post was more about after the legacy manufacturers have devoted more/most of their resources to BEV

You are right in that it could be something in regards to the technology and materials that is making scaling difficult at this point and not what Tesla isn't doing well (although the body hardware and paint issues lead me to believe it's a bit of both)

My post was long enough without comparing BEV SUVs but the Koreans are definitely killing it with their selections at good prices

Again attempting to remove bias: looking at the creators of Ford and others and creating a org chart would read like something from a Neo Nazi manifesto. Some of this families share distant idealisms that are very tangible in structure and hiring/HR practices today. Is that not toxic?

I'm aware of Henry Ford and friends as early nazi collaborators. Idk what the company has done to move past that, their hiring practices, or if they are a toxic place to work today

The difference to me is these others aren't the face of their company and their personal brand have little to do with the company's success. Tesla is very much still Elon for many folks as we are finding out

What would happen if Jim Farley presided over a 50% decline in their stock price over the course of a few months? Especially if he was publicly belligerent during the decline. How would the board react?

I suppose it's possible Tesla moves past Elon at some point but he will have to let them. I know it's what I would be hoping for as a shareholder

The first gen ‘ground up’ EVs (see Mach E) have had a large list of recalls and issues that haven’t been solved as of this post. That would give me pause about making such assumptions about long term dependency there are things to learn about wiring, processing integration, and battery and material sourcing for EVs.

I had dinner with a top automakers head of purchasing. When Tesla came up, they looked very worried and said ‘they make computers, we make art-time will tell what (the buying public) wants’. Translation: we are going to make and design products the way we’ve have (i.e. true culture change is near impossible in over leveraged, family/board run multinational firms ‘quickly’) always done.

The broader, and more obvious question is-what if the general public doesn’t care about synthetic fake stitching or panel tolerances?

Not discounting Tesla's ability to innovate at a faster rate (or that legacy manufacturers are still terrible at software)

What the general public wants is a good question and I suspect it's a bit of both of what Tesla and the legacy makers have to offer

In any case I do believe that Musk continuing to be an outspoken/polarizing figure hurts the brand and potential BEV customers will be happy to explore the soon to be many alternatives

We all know Henry ford was basically a nazi and a scum but what’s going on with ford’s hiring practices now?

Yea I have an Amazon account to watch the grand tour and Clarksons farm. Can’t tell you the last time I ordered anything off there.

We all got priorities. I try to buy labor friendly when I can whether it’s a car, clothes or the grocery store I shop at or whatever. I even cop gas from the stations that use union refineries. :lol:

That’s my reason for never owning anything from him and never will.

I’m not saying it’s a trash car because it isn’t. It’s just not someone I’m giving my money to.
And i can completely respect that. Though I would argue your Amazon usage contadicts your argument, i get it. This is real life. I try to do the same, but I also refuse to spend money (especially larger purchases) on an inferior product.

:lol: aepps20 aepps20 please do a thorough background check to validate whether there was any misinformation going on

I haven’t been more disappointed in a coal bro than I am of you. What happened bro? We were all sad that Sleppy Joseph runs NT but we never criticize EeeeeeLAWNNN. He bought woke boi Twitter and turned it into what our founding member Ninja always wanted it to be. He is a politician and I for a fact voted for him at least 5 times in 2022. We’ve been hoodwinked, bamboozled, lead astray, run amok and flat out deceived by Meth and Rusty. MAGA LUTHER KING JUNIOR SAID, “We left a marine, hell naw”

Bruh “maga Luther king Junior” :rofl:

I’m a coal bro for real that’s why I drive a CUMMINS, you can’t roll coal in a Tesla. Only thing you’re rolling in a Tesla is over pedestrians with auto pilot 🚶🧑‍🦯

Back
Top Bottom