POST YOUR DESKTOP VOL. 2010

desktop on the desktop:
10ngrhx.jpg

Originally Posted by mrshadow

jt118w.png

I'm gonna be greedy and ask where you got that Dock, Battery Icon, AND calendar in the upper right..
laugh.gif

I haven't customized a desktop in years. Finally got a new laptop and now I wanna get back into the sleek look.

Anyone else with Dock suggestions or popular websites, please help me out, too! Thanks.

Originally Posted by PUSHA x Vinsanity

I'm gonna be greedy and ask where you got that Dock, Battery Icon, AND calendar in the upper right..
laugh.gif

I haven't customized a desktop in years. Finally got a new laptop and now I wanna get back into the sleek look.

Anyone else with Dock suggestions or popular websites, please help me out, too! Thanks.
I know that the Battery is from yahoo widgets. A dock that I would suggest to you is Nexus Dock. Here is an overview of it...

Overview

Originally Posted by HP31308

laugh.gif

I know that the Battery is from yahoo widgets. A dock that I would suggest to you is Nexus Dock. Here is an overview of it...
Thanks, boss!

Now where do you all get these custom icons for your dock?

Icons, Docks, and Rainmeter tutorials.
Spoiler [+]
[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]Icons[/color]
For Windows, icons on the desktop must be .ico format. Most docks use PNG.
You can convert ICO to PNG and vice versa with convertico.com The program I use is called IcoFX,
with it you can covert to and from ICO and PNG, and you can covert MAC icons to PNG or ICO.

If you want to hide Your recycle bin and keep your other desktop icons in
[color= rgb(0, 153, 255)]Vista[/color]
Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization> Change Desktop Icons (on the left)
uncheck the recycle bin.
This way, you can have the icons you want on the desktop,
while the recycle bin is located on the dock.
I suggest creating a folder on your desktop and putting all of your desktop shortcuts and shortcuts to any programs you want to use on the dock there.

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]Xwindows Docks[/color]
I'm currenty using xwindows dock 5.6. I tried Object Dock and used Rocket Dock for a while, but I like this one better.
Xwindows Dock
-Tip: Right click on the dock, choose preferences. Click on the "Panel" settings on the left and uncheck the box that say "Reserve screen space for dock", or leave it if you like the dock to show under every window even in fullscreen.
-Installing a new dock template.
Search deviantart.com for "xwd" browse through the different docks.
Download and extract the dock. Drag the file (.xwd) to this directory
C:>Program Files>Xwindows Dock>Skins. Close and restart the Dock.
-To add programs to the dock
Right click on the dock>Add File
now add the file from the Shortcuts folder you made earlier if you're following these instructions.
Or if you know where to search for program you want to add you can do it that way.
-Changing dock icons
Right click on the icon you want to change, click edit and select a PNG file to replace the current icon.
-Adding a dock stack.
Right click on the dock, click "Add stack". Once you add a stack you can add multiple files and folders to it by right clicking on the stack and clicking "Add to Stack"
Dock Stack
d432592495639c63d0f688bc3d0b5c442d0d81a.jpg
expands to this
8bb3511542756d40cf1fd6656602565f8534f85.jpg

[color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]Rainmeter[/color]
Rainmeter.net

-Basics
1. Download Install (you need to choose 32 or 64bit) here
Everything that is displayed by rainmeter is called a config.
When you first run Rainmeter you will get a screen like this.
This is the Enigma Home Config. Here, there are several configs you can add by clicking on the name of the config. Notes, Music, HDD, CPU, taskbar and sidebar <--(the shaded areas)
are running by default.
Click the X at the top right to close this screen. Now you can turn off
and add any configs you want to see

Turning off a config
Right Click on the config>Skin Menu>Close Skin
(if you choose "EXIT" it will close Rainmeter instead of the individual config)
The grey areas that appear on the sidebar and taskbar are configs, you can
turn them off this way.

Turning on Configs
To turn on an existing config, Right click on the black rainmeter icon on your toolbar.
Go down to "Configs" there you can choose from all you have available

Adding a new config.

Any new configs you download should go in this directory (YourUserID>Documents>Rainmeter>Skins)
Some confiqs come with a font that you need to install first in order for it to show correctly.

After you have placed the theme folder in the correct directory, restart rainmeter.
Now, right Click on the Rainmeter Icon in the system tray, and select Configs, the config should be there now.

Setting the Weather and Notes config.
Notes
Right click on the Rainmeter icon on the system tray click
Configs>Enigma>Sidebar>Notes. Choose 1

To add your notes, click on the check mark on Next to "Notes"
a text document will open. Type what you want there, save and exit,
Wait a few seconds, or right click on the config and click refresh, and your notes should
appear.

Weather
Right click on the Rainmeter icon in the system tray.
Select Configs>Enigma>Taskbar>MoxaWeather.
Choose one.
Setup your weather code.
Right click on the Rainmeter icon in the system tray
at the bottom you will see Enigma\Taskbar\MoxaWeather
choose this and then choose "Edit Skin"
you will get a text document, here is where you edit your zip code:

24d25b846066dc55d7464fdf4dfbffca3311fc6.jpg

This is my old tutorial for changing colors, this one is for YBoris Time, but the process is basically the same for
most configs. Just find the what you want to change in the notes and edit the color code.

Heres' a quick tutorial on editing the colors of the Yboris Time Clock
Here are the sites I use for color codes
http://www.web-source.net/216_color_chart.htm
http://www.tayloredmktg.com/rgb/

43b358084fba62a9c868df17691e05e6de400bd.jpg

4c3355ee48cb6572c914def965d59f2aa884c5d.jpg

I have the clock, but not that 04_b1 (or whatever) font that everyone has.

I copied and pasted it into my fonts folder. what gives?

first you have to copy the font extension thing into you font folder on your C/
then you copy the folder into your skins, close rainmeter and reopen it

2qu6ryg.jpg

this is my MBP and i have three browsers because i need to check my work under a million different conditions.

Originally Posted by HP31308

laugh.gif

Thanks, boss!

Now where do you all get these custom icons for your dock?
I get most of mine from deviantart.com I usually for example type in photoshop icon, and then download one from there and so forth for each iconthat I want. There are also many icon packs that are available on there.

I have been absolutely addicted to this for the last 24 hours...
laugh.gif

I got my layout all figured out, now it's just the functionality of it all.

Is there a way to override the Windows taskbar with the XWindows Dock?

When I get a new IM, the AIM icon on my Windows taskbar still flashes. Can I make the AIM icon on my Dock flash or bounce instead? Or is that not possible withthis particular dock?

Also, what do you guys do for your Firefox Download Window? Because whenever I d/l something, I have to go through the Windows taskbar again to access theDownload Window. I am about to try making the Firefox icon a stack, and see if I can add the Firefox Download Window to an icon within the stack.

Basically, I want EVERYTHING ran through my XWindows Dock. It LOOKS cool, but it's not functioning quite as I had hoped. Any suggestions/tips? Is there abetter dock that does what I'm wanting?

Back
Top Bottom