POST YOUR WATCHES vol. ?

AskMen.com article on Rolex.
http://www.askmen.com/fashion/trends_500/515_the-argument-against-rolex-watches.html

The Argument Against Rolex Watches

Let's get one thing straight: Rolexes are for people that know names but don't know watches. For the price Rolex charges, you can buy dozens of other watches that are better looking, more accurate, much less common, and don't make you look like you're an overweight white man coming off the golf course. Consider this: When former model Carla Bruni hooked up with newly minted French president Nicolas Sarkozy, the very first thing she did was make him swap out his gold Rolex for a much more refined Patek Philippe. Rolexes reek of desperation.

No one in their right mind should spend their hard earned money on a new Rolex. Here's why.
[h3]Rolex movements are over-hyped[/h3]First, the movement quality of your run-of-the-mill Rolex is nothing special. In fact, many much more affordable Swiss watches use movements that keep time just as well. To add insult to injury, there are even some Chinese, Japanese and Russian movements that are just as -- if not more -- accurate as a standard Rolex movement.
[h3]Rolex watches look stale[/h3]Rolex's designs are stale. This brand hasn't released a truly new model in over a decade, and the majority of the watches it makes today are exact duplicates of the watches it made half a century ago. In fact, the biggest innovation it has made in recent years is a new metal called "Rolesor," which is heavily advertised as a great new substance for watchmaking. Guess what; it's just steel and gold.
[h3]Rolex stories are nothing but a myth[/h3]All those stories you hear about Rolexes being chosen as the watch for great adventures are only half true. For example, Rolex claims Sir Edmund Hillary wore an Explorer when he scaled the summit of Mount Everest for the first time. This is not the case. In fact, he only carried the Explorer until he reached the summit and then put on a watch from a small British company called Smiths. Hillary even wrote a signed letter endorsement to Smiths stating: "I carried your watch to the summit and it worked perfectly." Rolex also submitted a watch to NASA in the early '60s to be considered for use in the moon missions. We all know how that turned out.
[h3]Rolex watches are for seniors or rappers[/h3]It is rare for a brand to be considered both stodgy and lame and ghetto fabulous at the very same time, yet Rolex has done it. If you ask one person on the street what they think of Rolex, they'll tell you their elderly grandfather wears one in between rounds of golf and his daily 2 p.m. nap. If you ask another, they'll tell you the only people that wear Rolexes are athletes and rappers. So which are you, a sleepy 85-year-old bald man or an 18-year-old athlete from the hood trying to prove his worth to the world?

[h3]Rolex watches are for posers[/h3]If you are not one of the two groups mentioned above, wearing a Rolex oozes desperation. Yes, a Rolex is the most recognizable watch on the planet -- now is that supposed to be a good thing? Young men that don a Rolex are perceived as self-absorbed, insecure and image-obsessed by those around them. Essentially, you just look like a douche. Be confident enough in yourself and in your sense of style that you don't need to be wearing a veritable calling card of the nouveau riche.
[h2]to rolex or not to rolex? not.
[/h2]Rolex is masterful at branding, and mediocre at watchmaking. Do yourself a favor and pass on the Submariner, Datejust and Daytona. For the price you'll pay for a new Rolex you can buy a vintage Steve McQueen Heuer, an equally high-quality Omega Aqua Terra Chronograph or even a limited edition boutique diving watch from Linde Werdelin. Don't be fooled by the Rolex marketing machine. Be your own man and the next time someone tries to impress you with a Rolex, sit back and try not to make them feel bad about wearing an overpriced, under-designed, neon sign of a watch. If all this wasn't enough to make you forget Rolex forever, we'll leave you with one final argument: Tara Reid loves Rolex. If that doesn't make you run in the other direction, we don't know what will.
Interesting read because I really just don't see these guys (writers on askmen.com) as much of an expert as they claim to be. Although thereare some good points, some are a bit overblown out of proportion. Like how Rolex hasn't updated they designs, it is true but that is a classic look thathas been duplicated thousands of times by other watchmakers so why change what works? Although the Rolex style is old, it has stood the test of time and itstays classic and still works in this modern times. It is not like a sundial that has been phased out, people still flock to get Submariners and Explorers thathad an unchanged style for decades.

Plus Rolex being on Rappers? In the last decade I think hip-hop artists has moved on to the oversized watches while Rolex has stayed with their mid-sized casesall this time while others have upgraded with the size of the times. Which bring sme back to the other point that Rolex keeping true to their design and style(and size) is a good thing, not bad at all. The giant sized watch is a phase and soon enough, everyone will go back to the classic and people who has purchaseda Rolex will have a watch that will again stand the test of time. And that is coming from a not-so-big Rolex fan, i really do only like 3 designs but I canrespect the company and what they have accomplished.

I'm not big on pocket watches but this one is nice!
vcpocket.jpg

This Mido Multifort is a good, simple watch for $800.
44mm is too big for my wrist though.
multifortauto.JPG

Ulysse Nardin Monaco YS Maxi Marine Diver
unmonanco.jpg

Too busy for me but nice nonetheless.
Breitling Cosmonaute Automatic Chronograph
bcosmo2.jpg

I still want the all black version of this, Hublot Classic Fusion Yacht Club de Monaco
tuiga.jpg

tuiga2.jpg

One day... this will be mine... 45mm is just so damn big though!

45 mm is also way too big for me, the biggest i'd wear comfortably is 40mm, the best size for me is 38mm though.

I was peeping some Mido watches the other day too, pretty similar to Hammy's

38mm is perfect for me too but I can tolerate up to 42mm, I think the 41mm TH Carrera works well with my wrist.
1810.jpg

Originally Posted by RFX45

38mm is perfect for me too but I can tolerate up to 42mm, I think the 41mm TH Carrera works well with my wrist.
1810.jpg

That plant on the table looks..... anyways nice watch..

Originally Posted by icykicks79

Originally Posted by RFX45

1810.jpg

That plant on the table looks..... anyways nice watch..

You want to see a close-up of the plant???
ok...
5rfx10.jpg

In all seriousness though, no matter what your age is, when you mom gives you something you better put to good use or put it on display in case she visitsbecause if you don't then thats just a headache I could do without.
laugh.gif

Here's my Super Avenger with a black leather strap from fandebnb.com (thanks to RFX45). Feels kind of weird to have a $12 strap on it lol but I admit ilike the look better than the metal band, plus it's much lighter...45mm is no joke
5kgk2f.jpg

15hg2yr.jpg

Good to hear you are happy with it.
I wish I could see the pic snow but work cpu blocks it so I'll have to wait.
For such a cheap strap though, quality seems pretty good.
It is thick and seemed well made, I am very happy with mine.

how much is that 45mm all black watch? is that a hublot big bang?

I need to get another watch,I wear a suit every day so I want something classy but I like big watches too... any suggestions Id def appreciate....

I have 2 rolexes and a full diamond Jacob jc-30 and a Breitling Bentley 6.75, ill post pics later if I can find them..

The 45mm all black watch is the Hublot Big Bang Classic Fusion and retails for $9,400.

what is the resale value like for Hublot? I normally only buy watches preowned, I like that big bang alot... in general I like that all black matte look aloton a big face, any other suggestions? I would even consider a quartz watch if it had that nice look to it just as a cheap side watch...

I need to start checking this thread out, lots of good stuff in here

Resale on Hublots are hard to tell, not many goes on sale.
I believe that all black is limited to 5,000 in the world (maybe 5,000 in the U.S. but it is still very limited).

What is your budget? Since you like big watches, check out the IWC TopGun.
The non-split chrono is 44mm but the split chrono is 46mm.
44mm retails for $7,000 and the 46mm retails for $10,900.

The Big Pilot is also a beautiful watch, it doesn't come in all black though.

If you want a big all black watch that has a huge presence, get the Breitling Skyland Avenger BlackSteel.
It is 45mm and when I tried it on, it was very overwhelming. I seriously never had a watch in my wrist that had as much presence as that watch.
Retail is $5,700, only $3,000 made in the whole world. It is even numbered in the case back.

Now if price is no object, I say go for the Hublot Big Bang King Power All Black, not much else can be said about that watch.

New Tag Heuer V4
Limited Edition of 150 Pieces in Platinum
tagv4.JPG

tagv4a.jpg

tagv4b.jpg

For its 150th anniversary, TAG Heuer brings to commercial reality its boldest breakthrough innovation since the 1/100th of a second mechanical chronograph. Thefirst advanced integrated mechanical movement of the third millennium and probably the 21st century's first major contribution to watchmaking innovation.

The TAG Heuer Monaco V4 represents a complete break with tradition and an audacious next step in mechanical movement engineering. First unveiled as a conceptwatch at Baselworld 2004, it is now available, entirely hand manufactured in TAG Heuer's La Chaux-de-Fonds workshop.

Movement is an automatic belt-driven transmission watch with Tungstene ingot linear mass, and two pairs of barrels in series, set in parallel and linked bybelts.

The dial features seven silver fine-brushed bridges with "haute horlogerie" hand-finishings. The escapement and belt-driven transmission is visiblefrom the front. Hand-applied faceted indeces with faceted polished rhodium plated blue minute and hour hands with luminescent markers and a blue small secondhand at 4 o'clock.

The case, in platinum, measures 40.5mm. It has AR-coated sapphire crystals and is water resistant to 50 meters. The crown is 18kt white gold and the strap isalligator with a platinum buckle.

Availability of the first batch (75 pieces) will be November 2009 with the second batch (75 pieces) in June 2010. MSRP is 100,000 Swiss Francs (approx.$96,500).

laugh.gif

How can you find the watch boring, it has an automatic belt driven transmission.

This might be more interesting to you, the 41mm Rolex Datejust just started arriving at the dealers I think.
I don't pay attention to Rolex much but 41mm is a big jump from the normal 36mm. I need to see wrist pics of this soon.

You want something else that is quite unique... How about the Parmigiani Bugatti Centenaire Type 370
It is a crazy yet awesome design. Nothing like seeing it in person the centenaire watch, not this particular model.
parmibug1.jpg

parmibug.jpg

eek.gif
RFX45 wrote:

laugh.gif

How can you find the watch boring, it has an automatic belt driven transmission.

This might be more interesting to you, the 41mm Rolex Datejust just started arriving at the dealers I think.
I don't pay attention to Rolex much but 41mm is a big jump from the normal 36mm. I need to see wrist pics of this soon.

You want something else that is quite unique... How about the Parmigiani Bugatti Centenaire Type 370
It is a crazy yet awesome design. Nothing like seeing it in person the centenaire watch, not this particular model.
parmibug1.jpg

parmibug.jpg

eek.gif
wow that last one is insane. and the tag is just crazy nice.

Not sure if someone has this one, or has posted that they have this one yet. but this is the watch I am wearing today. This watch fetches so many complimentsit's a Cerruti 1881 Chronograph.

cerruti1881.jpg

Oh man, my birthday is at the end of this month and I just found out that Hublot has a Classic Fusion All Black in 42mm!!!
The 42mm will work fine with my wrist, way better than the 45mm that I was previously lusting over.
Then they showed some pics, now this is a must have for me.
I know I shouldn't buy anymore watches but these pics...
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif

542.CM.1110.RXa.jpg

542.CM.1110.RXb.jpg

542.CM.1110.RXd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom