POST YOUR WATCHES vol. ?

Originally Posted by Fire419

Hey, was hoping if anyone could drop some knowledge.

Been looking to get a nice watch for a while, budget is around $5k or less. Two watches that interest me right now are the Rolex Submariner and the TAG Heuer Carrera Chrono (both black face, metal bracelet). As far as I know, the TAG is significantly cheaper than the Rolex, however, I feel that the Rolex will hold value better than the TAG. Is there any difference in the quality of the movements? What I'm basically looking for is whether or not the $ premium is worth it over the TAG. Realistically, what am I looking to pay for each (I see the mention of deep discounts from MSRP, but I don't know exactly how much)

The submariner is timeless, but I do somewhat like the design of the Carrera better. Either would be one of my daily wear watches, I doubt I'd stow it away much.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Oh, and are there any other watches I should be looking at? I'm not sure if I'm a huge fan of Omegas, but from what I've read, their movements are fantastic

$5k will provide you a plethora of watch choices. The Submariner is a classic watch and the Tag is one unique watch in it's own right. Movement wise, Rolexmakes their own although it is so mass produced that it might as well be a non-in-house movement. The Tag Carrera Chrono has the Valjoux 7750, a very reliablemovement but you really do get more with the Rolex. Value-wise, Rolex will keep it's price much better while the Tag practically drops like a stone in thelake. One good thing abotu Tag is the deep discount, you can probably get it for 30%-35% off from an authorized dealer while you'd be lucky to get 10% offa Rolex from an authorized dealer. The Submariner is a workhorse of a watch and can take the abuse so if you want to save money, buy it used. You'd save alot more money, I guess the same could be said about the Tag.

Omega is also a good choice, they have great and reliable and more complicated movement. I do not really want to get into too much detail because I couldprobably keep going and going. But I personally woudl rank it Rolex > Omega > Tag Heuer. Although most willa rgue Omega is ont he same level as Rolex andsome die hard Omega fans will argue it is even better. I personally would get an IWC for $5k, the choices will be endless for me.

John Mayer is big watch buff. I posted an article here maybe several pages back, too lazy to dig it out but a quick google search will suffice.

I'm not a big Movado fan so my opinion might be biased but for $500, check out Hamilton or Oris or Tissot or Longines.
Here's a few that you could probably find for $500 or close to it.
105513537_eaeeec6a24_o.jpg

7919-A23-dia.jpg

RXF45 thanks for the advice. where do you suggest I buy a watch like the ones you listed? online? any websites that are trusted?

Graduation present: Breitling Aeromarine Super Avenger. I love the weight and size of the watch.

2irkzfd.jpg

oubad2.jpg

29xf91e.jpg

2wml9hv.jpg

There are many nice watches in this thread.

My addition:
Citizen Nighthawk with Eco-Drive
Retail: $475.00
Bought this watch in 2005 and haven't taken it off since.
I love the weight and big face.

baf35944e7e9e9b0e9a575e389f7fef96aeba6f.jpg

fa7150e7e6e976890f015a3b7fb8918b8d06951.jpg

6cc15fede2e87884b256350ab9bfc46eaaa59c7.jpg

PICT0808.JPG

Nice Breitling and Citizen.
Congrats on graduating Djuzi.

Tag Heuer's NEW Monaco LS Chronograph

The case, in stainless steel, measures 40.5mm. The crystal is sapphire as is the display back. It is water resistant to 100 meters.

Movement is the automatic TAG Caliber 12 (base Dubois-Depraz 2008). It is available with a stainless steel bracelet or a leather strap with deployant.

monacols1.JPG

monacols.jpg

Originally Posted by RFX45

Nice Breitling and Citizen.
Congrats on graduating Djuzi.

Tag Heuer's NEW Monaco LS Chronograph

The case, in stainless steel, measures 40.5mm. The crystal is sapphire as is the display back. It is water resistant to 100 meters.

Movement is the automatic TAG Caliber 12 (base Dubois-Depraz 2008). It is available with a stainless steel bracelet or a leather strap with deployant.

monacols1.JPG
sick.gif
pimp.gif

New Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronograph Limited Edition
super2b.jpg

super2a.jpg

For those looking for a more aggressive watch:
The new Concord BiRetrograde
c1a.jpg

c1b.jpg

c1a1.jpg

c1a2.jpg

Loving the watches. Unfortunately, $300 is about as high as I want to spend on a watch. I'm really leaning towards the Citizen Nighthawk Eco-Drive inall-black. My last watch was an all black Nixon- the Player. It just quit working..piece of crap.

On another note: RFX can you give me any advice on the brand Stuhrling Original? I read up on it and it is only a brand of watch that is sold online...is thata signal for me to keep away? The retails seem to be pretty high, but I have been finding some nice skeleton watches for around $200. Any advice would begreatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by CWK

tudordaydate.jpg

TUDOR PRINCE DAY DATE by ROLEX

This was my wedding/college graduation gift to myself.

Very nice...my dad has been a rolex wearer for 30 years, and only recently has gotten me into the Tudor line until I make my own money to buy my first Rolex.What was the price on yours? I've seen them run from 1500- around 6000.

anybody have a ulysse nardin?
my cousin got one and i asked him how much he paid for it, and hes goes "your years salary" haha.

Nice watches being posted in here...

Now I have a feeling this is on some non-Swiss movement, borderline ripoff tip and I may get flamed but what's the word on Meister watches? I like the lookof the Hublots and AP but can't exactly justify droppin that kind of money on a watch...yet
tongue.gif

The Meisters look like a good alternative. Yes? No?

It depends with UN he got.
There are UN's out there that go for less than $10k, Hell their Michelangelo line start at around $5k last I checked.
But like others, they also have a few that could go into ridiculous amounts of money.

I'm not a fan of Meister, a complete rip-off if you ask me.
I might consider if they cost $20 each.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by Fire419

Hey, was hoping if anyone could drop some knowledge.

Been looking to get a nice watch for a while, budget is around $5k or less. Two watches that interest me right now are the Rolex Submariner and the TAG Heuer Carrera Chrono (both black face, metal bracelet). As far as I know, the TAG is significantly cheaper than the Rolex, however, I feel that the Rolex will hold value better than the TAG. Is there any difference in the quality of the movements? What I'm basically looking for is whether or not the $ premium is worth it over the TAG. Realistically, what am I looking to pay for each (I see the mention of deep discounts from MSRP, but I don't know exactly how much)

The submariner is timeless, but I do somewhat like the design of the Carrera better. Either would be one of my daily wear watches, I doubt I'd stow it away much.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Oh, and are there any other watches I should be looking at? I'm not sure if I'm a huge fan of Omegas, but from what I've read, their movements are fantastic

$5k will provide you a plethora of watch choices. The Submariner is a classic watch and the Tag is one unique watch in it's own right. Movement wise, Rolex makes their own although it is so mass produced that it might as well be a non-in-house movement. The Tag Carrera Chrono has the Valjoux 7750, a very reliable movement but you really do get more with the Rolex. Value-wise, Rolex will keep it's price much better while the Tag practically drops like a stone in the lake. One good thing abotu Tag is the deep discount, you can probably get it for 30%-35% off from an authorized dealer while you'd be lucky to get 10% off a Rolex from an authorized dealer. The Submariner is a workhorse of a watch and can take the abuse so if you want to save money, buy it used. You'd save a lot more money, I guess the same could be said about the Tag.

Omega is also a good choice, they have great and reliable and more complicated movement. I do not really want to get into too much detail because I could probably keep going and going. But I personally woudl rank it Rolex > Omega > Tag Heuer. Although most willa rgue Omega is ont he same level as Rolex and some die hard Omega fans will argue it is even better. I personally would get an IWC for $5k, the choices will be endless for me.

Thanks for the response! IWCs are beautiful, I agree. I don't feel like I'm at that "level" yet so to speak (I'm only 22).

I think I've eliminated the Rolex Submariner from contention, as it is a fair amount pricier than the TAG. However, a watch that's caught my eye isthe Omega Speedmaster Pro. I can't say I'm really a fan of Omega styling in general, but the Speedmaster Pro really impressed me. I would easily buy itin a heartbeat, but I'm sort of lamenting the missing "date" dial and I'm not sure if I would love or hate the manual winding of the Omega.Any input on this?

Also, since either would be my daily wear watch, should I be worried about the hesalite crystal being more prone to scratches than the TAG? With the Omegahaving gone to the moon, I know it can withstand daily punishment (which is a big bonus for me) but again I don't know if I could live without the date andthe non-sapphire crystal. Any input on the quality of each bracelet/clasp?

The TAG on the other hand somewhat feels "too common" amongst people. I think I'm really just nitpicking right now, but Ijust don't wantto regret my first big watch purchase when I do make it. I also definitely plan to go in store one day to try both on my wrist to see which feels better to me.

Pic for NT:

800px-OMEGA-Speedmaster-Professional-Front.jpg

You can try to get a non-date Submariner which may be a little above $5,000. The problem is Rolex raised their prices recently which made the Submariner a $6kwatch instead of a $5k watch.

Tags are nice, but my old one got scratches on its crystal very easily. I've worn my Submariner the same and there's not even a hint of a scratch onthe crystal. That makes it worth the money in the long run to me.

I made the mistake of going to the Hublot AD in Montreal a few days back. Needless to say, I haven't been able to shake the thought of a Big Bang on mywrist for about a week now.

New addition. This is from Timex's high end line Techno Luxury. The chronograph is balls on this thing, I'd put it up against any Citizen or Seiko init's class any day.

The Omega Speedmaster is a beautiful watch. I feel the same way about Omega as I do with Rolex, there are very few I want badly but that watch is real nice.
Omega also looks so much better in person, I do not know why but I just can't grasp it with pics.

That SMP is a real classic though, if you can live without the date it will be a great watch to have.
I'll be honest though, I feel the bezel is too crowded and I prefer how Tags tachy looks. That's all personal preference though.
Inc omparison, the general population see's Tag Heuer on the same level as Omega and in some cases, even higher but that is really not the case.
So if you feel or want somewhat of name recognition, Rolex and Tag might be a better choice.
If it is overall quality, then Omega or Rolex are what you are looking for.
Overall, you can't go wrong with an Omega, it is a great watch company. Plus it won't be a daily wearer so don't worry too much about the crystal.

Have you considered the new Omega Aqua Terra GMT Chrono?
It looks pretty good and rugged.
omegagmt.jpg

Originally Posted by Ballerholic03

Loving the watches. Unfortunately, $300 is about as high as I want to spend on a watch. I'm really leaning towards the Citizen Nighthawk Eco-Drive in all-black. My last watch was an all black Nixon- the Player. It just quit working..piece of crap.

On another note: RFX can you give me any advice on the brand Stuhrling Original? I read up on it and it is only a brand of watch that is sold online...is that a signal for me to keep away? The retails seem to be pretty high, but I have been finding some nice skeleton watches for around $200. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

yeah, I've been looking at some Stuhrlings also and would like to know how they are as watches, thanks!

I am not a Stuhrling expert nor have I handled it much or even owned one but it is an ok watch.
Price-wise, you get what you pay for. Their Automatics has a Chinese movement iirc.
The automatic movements has had problems last i recall but I read somewhere that it has been fixed but at the end of the day, it is still a Chinese movement.
If you really like the design and want it to last, to be on the safe side, get the quartz movement.
You can probably find it cheaper than $200 at Amazon or Overstock.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom