Put me on New Blalance

What the big deal with New Balance?

Never really got it to them, but I am very interested in what people like about them, and what is they're signature series?

What are you looking for? Basketball? Running? Cross-Training?

New Balance is one of the only major footwear companies to still have a portion of their manufacturing still done in the US and Europe.

The niche they have created for themselves is the variety they offer when it comes to widths, sizing, and tech.

Mens goes from a 2A narrow width all the way up to a 6E width, while womens go from 4A to 4E.

Almost all New Balance are named with a combination of numbers and letters. Ususally the first letter combination tells you what gender and type it is. Thenumber is unique (usually) and the higher the number,, the more technical the shoe. The last letter comboi tells you the colorway.

For example. MW748BR is a mens walking shoe in brown, while WX1010WT Is a womens crosstrainer is white.

The most popular model is the Cross-training 600 series. Currently at 622 (623 will be released in the spring), it is disgusting how much these move,especially with cross-training seemingly a dying category.

They offer a ton of cushion set-up (ABZORB, ABZORB SBS, ZIP, ect) and cater to pronators, supinators, and regular gaits. They have several lasts that offercomfort for a wide variety of footshapes. SW2 specifically is awesome due to its deeper, wider forefoot.

The running division is excellent, directly competes with Asics in quality. I love Nike, but I don;t think they really compete with the technical superiorityAsics and New Balance offer at specific pricepoints.

If you are a looking for a runner, MR1225 and MR1063 are great great shoes to look at.

Originally Posted by jamesyo

quality and simplicity were the two things which drew me to new balance.

well put
pimp.gif

if you can ind a pair of 991, i'd suggest you go ahead and get them. They are the greatest (comfort, looks, durability) shoes ever made. 993's arepretty decent

is there a good NB resource as far as the cultural/casual aspect on the web?

Originally Posted by richiecotite

if you can ind a pair of 991, i'd suggest you go ahead and get them. They are the greatest (comfort, looks, durability) shoes ever made. 993's are pretty decent
the standard DC answer...but i'd be hard pressed not to agree.
hunting for these black/grey 991's
new-balance-m991kpl-black-grey-1.jpg

stuck with these for the time being(sure they're comfortable, but i prefer the 991 aesthetics)

580's are the best new balance to me. Comfort, quality, and sick colorways.
I also work out in them and find them to be far more responsive and comfortable than nikes or reeboks etc.

Even though it's a shoe that's been everywhere, the 574 grey suede/mesh with reflective silver is still an industry staple.

In fact, the 574 is the shoe NB says it's most proud of.

For me, NB represents and delivers quality and effective design/tech.

Their Abzorb cushioning is so good; I remember balling in NB 712 running shoes with Abzorb because they were so solid.

Another plus is that you can pick almost any NB shoe and get a good shoe.

I'd stay away from 1300's, though. Weak materials for the money. But yeah, the 991-993 series continues to be great.

I personally don't see the attraction to Asics when New Balance is the better technical option. But that's just me.

29z6hzo.jpg

850 - does anybody have any info on these? when do they come out? or are they out already...
iz69og.jpg

574's are a poor man's 576

New Balance says otherwise:

"Of all the shoes produced by New Balance, we're especially proud of the 574. It's a perfect demonstration of our core values of heritage,craftsmanship, innovation and imagination, as well as our deeply held belief that "grey is beautiful."

Since its inception, the 574 has been one of New Balance's most tried and true silhouettes, sought after for its comfort and effortless style. Today, the 574 remains the iconic New Balance sneaker." - New Balance 574 Location Program press release

that was in my opinion of course. to me, everything about the 576 is superior to the 574. but that's how i feel. others may beg to differ.

Originally Posted by theprocessofbelief

What are you looking for? Basketball? Running? Cross-Training?

New Balance is one of the only major footwear companies to still have a portion of their manufacturing still done in the US and Europe.

The niche they have created for themselves is the variety they offer when it comes to widths, sizing, and tech.

Mens goes from a 2A narrow width all the way up to a 6E width, while womens go from 4A to 4E.

Almost all New Balance are named with a combination of numbers and letters. Ususally the first letter combination tells you what gender and type it is. The number is unique (usually) and the higher the number,, the more technical the shoe. The last letter comboi tells you the colorway.

For example. MW748BR is a mens walking shoe in brown, while WX1010WT Is a womens crosstrainer is white.

The most popular model is the Cross-training 600 series. Currently at 622 (623 will be released in the spring), it is disgusting how much these move, especially with cross-training seemingly a dying category.

They offer a ton of cushion set-up (ABZORB, ABZORB SBS, ZIP, ect) and cater to pronators, supinators, and regular gaits. They have several lasts that offer comfort for a wide variety of footshapes. SW2 specifically is awesome due to its deeper, wider forefoot.

The running division is excellent, directly competes with Asics in quality. I love Nike, but I don;t think they really compete with the technical superiority Asics and New Balance offer at specific pricepoints.

If you are a looking for a runner, MR1225 and MR1063 are great great shoes to look at.

everything he said.

NB limited editions at GILT today, there may still be some left, worth a look to those interested.

that was in my opinion of course. to me, everything about the 576 is superior to the 574. but that's how i feel. others may beg to differ.

That's fair.

I think 373, 595, and 420 are rather inferior shoes but someone likes them. In any case, almost every NB shoe has something good about it which speaks to theoverall quality of the brand.

I didn't want to be a grave digger, but I had to ask.
I'm curious on how these new balance fit. Big/small? Wide/Narrow?
Is it a matter of grabbing one on the shelves and trying them on.

Hope someone can shed some light into this.

Originally Posted by jayem

I didn't want to be a grave digger, but I had to ask.
I'm curious on how these new balance fit. Big/small? Wide/Narrow?
Is it a matter of grabbing one on the shelves and trying them on.

Hope someone can shed some light into this.

in my experience most if not all new balance are true to size. the only exception might be leather lined or gore-tex pairs.

James, you know i have to get in on this thread.....
New balance just has great shapes, quality, sweet colorways (when they're not putting out all grey all the time here in USA), and amazing comfort...  I had a pair of 574JNS for my first pair 7 years ago, and they were amazing.  Got heavy into 580's, 576, 1300, but now I'm obsessed with 670's, 577, 1700.... too much, ha ha.  Only sneaker I travel with now.... check out sportiela.com, flightclub.com, and pickyourshoes.com for good deals and selection...

Back
Top Bottom