Putting your dog down yourself.....Yay or Nay????

I remember one time, my uncle had a dog that he didnt want anymore..we drove to the other side of town and just left the dog there..
never saw that dog again..

Originally Posted by wanksta23

Originally Posted by LetItShine24

Originally Posted by SAMPRAS FAN

Maybe I'm the only one whose ever seriously thought about this, I don't agree with OP's reasons on why to put his dog down but.....

as long as it's done right, preferably with a shotgun, shooting a dog is as humane as using sodium phenobarbitol (the solution most vets use), but of course, much messier. another way to think about it is this. would you prefer to spend your last moments at home with loved ones or in hospital operating room with strangers sticking you with needles and poking and prodding you?

You can be there when the vet puts your dog down. Shooting a dog is not human as using needles to put the dog to sleep. the dog is first relaxed, then subdued using the proper medicine. i was a volunteer at a vet clinic before and i seen this go down many times. dogs do not squeal or have seizures before they are put down. imagine the pain the dog will suffer sticking a bullet through their brain. sick people nowadays
i dont think i'd be able to be there for that
was it hard at first and then got used to it?
I remember reading something (on that Postsecret blog, I think) about how a lot of times, when dogs are about to be put down and the owner leaves the room, the dog often feels anxiety and searches around for the owner. I couldn't leave my dog hanging like that.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by IICEMAN83

Maybe I'm the only one whose ever seriously thought about this, I don't agree with OP's reasons on why to put his dog down but.....

as long as it's done right, preferably with a shotgun, shooting a dog is as humane as using sodium phenobarbitol (the solution most vets use), but of course, much messier. another way to think about it is this. would you prefer to spend your last moments at home with loved ones or in hospital operating room with strangers sticking you with needles and poking and prodding you?

You can be there when the vet puts your dog down. Shooting a dog is not human as using needles to put the dog to sleep. the dog is first relaxed, then subdued using the proper medicine. i was a volunteer at a vet clinic before and i seen this go down many times. dogs do not squeal or have seizures before they are put down. imagine the pain the dog will suffer sticking a bullet through their brain. sick people nowadays

the point is, the dog will NOT feel any pain. it's instant. faster than euthanasia. your dog will be at home, with people who love it, instead of being at some strange place with strange people poking and prodding it with it (regardless of whether the owner is there or not). 

Wrong. The dog is relaxed before being put down at the vet, like i said, i seen this before. You shoot the dog, the dog will feel immediate pain and will not die immediately, thus the dog will suffer. You relax the dog, then euthanize the dog, the dog wont feel any pain.
You really think I would care about my dogs pain if it attacked a fam member?....what about the pain my family member has to go through when he/she was bit? What about the pain the dog is in if its sick?

[table][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]http://www.nothingtoxic.com/

First and foremost, a dog will not randomly attack anyone.Your family did something to provoke the attack thats why the dog will attack. I have a pitbull, 3 years old, i know what aggravates him. If you have a dog, raise it right, or dont own a dog period. MOST of the dog attacks depend on how the dog was raised by its owners, if the dog attacked a family member or a friend, your going to be held liable because your the owner. In conclusion, RAISE THE DOG RIGHT AND NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.

Wrong. The dog is relaxed before being put down at the vet, like i said, i seen this before. You shoot the dog, the dog will feel immediate pain and will not die immediately, thus the dog will suffer. You relax the dog, then euthanize the dog, the dog wont feel any pain.
You really think I would care about my dogs pain if it attacked a fam member?....what about the pain my family member has to go through when he/she was bit? What about the pain the dog is in if its sick?

[table][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

First and foremost, a dog will not randomly attack anyone.Your family did something to provoke the attack thats why the dog will attack. I have a pitbull, 3 years old, i know what aggravates him. If you have a dog, raise it right, or dont own a dog period. MOST of the dog attacks depend on how the dog was raised by its owners, if the dog attacked a family member or a friend, your going to be held liable because your the owner. In conclusion, RAISE THE DOG RIGHT AND NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.

EXACTLY!!!

My dog was raised right thanks to my dad and a lot of whoopins it got when it was a pup
laugh.gif

my dog KNOWS not to bite anyone, even when when you play rough with her, she will just grab your arm and not bite down
and when kids are around and their on top of her she will just growl letting us know to take the kids off, but she will NOT bite them

shoot, we even raised her to not leave the front yard, so we just let her chill outside with no supervision, because she knows no matter if she sees another dog, cat or squirrel she isn't allowed to leave the yard

Originally Posted by wanksta23

my dog KNOWS not to bite anyone, even when when you play rough with her, she will just grab your arm and not bite down
and when kids are around and their on top of her she will just growl letting us know to take the kids off, but she will NOT bite them

shoot, we even raised her to not leave the front yard, so we just let her chill outside with no supervision, because she knows no matter if she sees another dog, cat or squirrel she isn't allowed to leave the yard
*Applauds*

Originally Posted by thytkerjobs

Ram goat liver good fi mek mannish water wahtah / Billy goat teeth mek the earring for you daughter daughtah
pimp.gif

Jamaica FTW

btw you're a sicko for talking about shooting a dog in the head.
You were doing it wrong.

the point is, the dog will NOT feel any pain. it's instant. faster than euthanasia. your dog will be at home, with people who love it, instead of being at some strange place with strange people poking and prodding it with it (regardless of whether the owner is there or not). 

[table][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

I have to disagree..I also have a 3yo pit that has not been around all my family members. My pit is extremely territorial, and when brought to a new location/house he marks he spot. He is not fixed. There is no way what you say is that cut and dry especially with a territorial dog. I dont care what you say and how much you trust a certain breed, its still in its blood to behave a certain way. I love pits but like many aggresive dogs you must still keep a keen eye at all times. Its like saying a son will not attack his mother if hes raised right? certain circumstances call for certain measures. if my moms was to threaten my life on a serious note, best believe shes gettin the 1...2...

But the point of my Thread is saying "what if?"...Your straying away from the topic

[table][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]

I have to disagree..I also have a 3yo pit that has not been around all my family members. My pit is extremely territorial, and when brought to a new location/house he marks he spot. He is not fixed. There is no way what you say is that cut and dry especially with a territorial dog. I dont care what you say and how much you trust a certain breed, its still in its blood to behave a certain way. I love pits but like many aggresive dogs you must still keep a keen eye at all times. Its like saying a son will not attack his mother if hes raised right? certain circumstances call for certain measures. if my moms was to threaten my life on a serious note, best believe shes gettin the 1...2...

But the point of my Thread is saying "what if?"...Your straying away from the topic
Yes i know i am straying away from the topic, but the points you bring up are flawed. Like you said, you have 3yo put which is very territorial, all fighting breeds are like that. the point is to take the initiative and train the dog correctly.

Back to your topic, if my dog attacked a family member, no i wouldnt put a gun to its head, only if the dog wouldnt let go and its a LIFE THREATENING situation, then i would.

Since we're on the topic of putting Dogs down.
I don't know how many of you have seen it but it's worth the watch.

I recently had to put my 9 yr old Labradoodle to sleep. I couldn't do it by myself so I called my mom. It was so awful & I haven't cried that hard in so long. But he had cancer so the situation was different.

If my pet attacked another human being it might be different. Like if it mauled a kid or something I'd def. put it down. I think I'd try to work with it if it just bit somebody first, and if that didn't work, I'd put it to sleep. You can't have an aggressive animal.

Son you aré in the united states of America, let go of your savage ways...animal cruelty is a crime.

My man said he would give his moms the 1....2....3...you must have an awesome relationship with her, for that thought to even cross your mind....dogs are domestic animals, nobody is forcing you to have one and to be honest you have no right having a pet if you don't know the meaning of animal cruelty....some breeds are aggressive by nature, with the right upbringing you can subdue this agression, but if you are still not comfortable with the dog around people, you can take the right measures to prevent this, place him in a cage...or just get a poodle, yorkie or any breed that's not aggresive....bottomline is not humane to put a bullet in a dog's head....if this was the case then how come we just dont blow the brians out of death row inmates instead of scheduling a very expensive execution with a lethal injection...mind you these aré human beings that had common sense and still committed aweful crimes, yet we still grant them a quick painless death. Now a dog acts on animal instinct, no premeditated measures, pure instinct and you are telling me it's much better to blow off their lid, than to take him to a vet and put him to sleep....I say you are more of an animal than that poor dog.

My mom ran over the my sisters cat, right over the head.
It didn't die right away. So what did I do?
Helped it. Who knows how long it woulda been there in pain, dying slowly...

Back
Top Bottom