QB THREAD - 2x quarterbacky award winner: Lamar Jackson

Carr is once again 7-6, if Vegas fails again, do they pull his plug too?

Carr isn't high on the list of issues with that team.

Honestly man Gruden deserves a ton of blame here too.

Sticking with Guenther end of last year when many felt he was incompetent.

Firing Buckner as DL coach even though he had outstanding rapport with the unit and helped more than double our team sack total in 2019, only to hire Marinelli. Now we got 2018 numbers again with a better unit.

Offensively we put up points because we have a top 10 QB, a top 10 RB, one if the not the best constructed OL units in the league when healthy, and one if not the best TE in the league.

But imo our philosophy is overly conservative and our scheme is stale. I've long been convinced we score at a decent rate in spite of Gruden, not because of his scheme or his ideas.

Gruden's philosophy might sustain a team with a top 15 defense, but we've never been close to that in his second stint here, or anytime in the last decade. I really think a better offensive mind could consistently take this current team to the playoffs with more aggressive offense scheming, knowing that you have to compensate for a league worst defense every week.

Agree with everything he said here. The defense hasn't even been close to good since the early 2000's on top of that, and for the most part it's been bottom 10.

Carr is a Top 10 QB? In the AFC, or what did he mean? :lol:

I mean, ok, y'all wanna give him an 8th go'round, by all means.

Who exactly are they supposed to replace him with that's better? Until Waller (last year) he's had nobodies around him his entire career and has won a lot of close late games in spite of them. The Raiders have been *** forever and I don't think a QB shakeup, when it took them a decade to find a competent one, is what is going to turn things around.
I think blaming the teams record entirely on Carr is pretty unfair.

If you drop Carr you're basically conceding to a rebuild which I'm not sure the Raiders are ready to do

Raiders are possibly a playoff team and if they dont make it won't be in reach of the top 4 QB prospects unless they move up

You swap him with another vet leaving a similar situation, you might be in the same place.

NFL purgatory is a *****. Hell, Seahawks are there with Russ but they just happened to win a couple more games and sometimes a wildcard

I get it's not ALL on Carr. I get that. But he's clearly not it, there, right? Do we not have enough evidence after 7 years?

Could Darnold do somethin there? Jameis? I assume no on Mariota.

Ryan/Stafford too old-expensive.

Wentz?

Ryan fits NE's scheme perfectly, but they'll need receiving weapons or he'd do no better than Brady last season.

I wanna see Stafford in Denver under a Joe Brady or someone.
Broncos, Colts and 9ers seem to be the fan favorites for a QB makeover.

EYE personally and biased wise would like to see Eason's shot with the Colts (long term of course)

I get it's not ALL on Carr. I get that. But he's clearly not it, there, right? Do we not have enough evidence after 7 years?

Wentz?
Stick with Carr (and build the cast) or start all over 🤷🏿‍♂️ vet swap doesn't do move the needle and picking up someone like Darnold (if Lawrence is in play) is basically a rebuild move

No. I mean in the league, based on ability. I'd be hard pressed to pick 10 QB's better than him. There's maybe 6 - 7 in the league I'd trade for him straight up.

I can't be too bothered to change your opinion on him, frankly you've never liked Carr, it's always been kind of odd/amusing because a lot of the valid reasoning you've used to contextualize other QB's and their respective team performances, you've never really afforded him.

Wentz?

I don't think any of those moves would make the team better than it is right now, so that just feels like getting rid of Carr for the sake of getting rid of Carr.

Broncos, Colts and 9ers seem to be the fan favorites for a QB makeover.

EYE personally and biased wise would like to see Eason's shot with the Colts (long term of course)

Forgot about SF...Cousins really fits there cause he's doing it in Minnesota, but of those likely right now, I'd be interested in seeing Wentz there. Kyle can clean some things up.

Agree on Eason.

No. I mean in the league, based on ability. I'd be hard pressed to pick 10 QB's better than him. There's maybe 6 - 7 in the league I'd trade for him straight up.

Mahomes
Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Watson
Lamar
Dak
Russ
Allen
Herbert?
Stafford
Ben
Tannehill
Kyler

Matt Ryan.......I'd be willing to listen Carr is better

I mean........6 or 7 huh?

I don't think any of those moves would make the team better than it is right now, so that just feels like getting rid of Carr for the sake of getting rid of Carr.

They are all cheaper than Carr, no? Meaning you could reallocate money to the defensive side of the roster?

I mean, he turns 30, over 100 games in his career, he has 1 winning season.

But yea, can't replace that guy. Ok.

*Shrugs*

It's fine by me, was just askin if a Darnold/Wentz/Jameis would benefit them ala Tanne in Tenn.
Ruggs/Waller/Jacobs is a great start, wanna keep wasting that on Carr, who am I to criticize? Maybe year 8 is the one. 😬

You're a Vikings guy, Cousins-Carr, is there a huge gap? Am I way off base? I have 7 years of data, am I wrong?

Nah I was actually just thinking about that. I like Cousins on the Raiders, but it would be almost a lateral move. I do feel Kirk offers a smidgen more upside, but he's scheme specific, so I like him in zone blocking, PA heavy stuff that Kubiak and Shannahan prefer...Gruden is more west coast with a mix of a lot and needs some one more...lively? And I guess Wentz can be similar to Gannon in a sense, if Wentz calms down and sees the field.

But yes...very similar Q's, in my opinion.

Wentz?

:lol:

Again, I can't be too bothered to try and shape your opinion on Carr. You don't rate him, never have, and that's OK.

You probably forget but years 1 - 2 in the league we used to go back in forth on the merits of Carr's ability vs Mariota. :lol:

I mean........6 or 7 huh?

Yea. For a straight up player-swap, fully taking into account what it means to assemble an NFL roster. Don't pretend like I said there are only 6-7 better QB in the league.

Mahomes
Rodgers
Brady

Brees
Watson
Lamar

Dak
Russ
Allen
Herbert?
Stafford
Ben
Tannehill
Kyler

Matt Ryan.......I'd be willing to listen Carr is better

I'm willing to listen why Tannehill is better. Or 2020 Brees, anyone not highlighted in green.

And I'm not trying to hear about stats. I'm curious how you actually evaluate their current technical skill and tactical competency at the QB position.

Dropping Herbert? in there. CP be baiting yall man
mjlol.png

I mean, he turns 30, over 100 games in his career, he has 1 winning season.

But yea, can't replace that guy. Ok.

*Shrugs*

It's fine by me, was just askin if a Darnold/Wentz/Jameis would benefit them ala Tanne in Tenn.
Ruggs/Waller/Jacobs is a great start, wanna keep wasting that on Carr, who am I to criticize? Maybe year 8 is the one. 😬

It's just bizarre that you think this is valid reasoning given your history and (mostly valid) QB eval crusade on here. The inconsistency is so odd to me. :lol:

Maybe you're just not contextualizing those 100 games? Didn't watch them?

It's just bizarre that you think this is valid reasoning given your history and (mostly valid) QB eval crusade on here. The inconsistency is so odd to me. :lol:

Maybe you're just not contextualizing those 100 games? Didn't watch them?

I don't think you get the difference.

I had already said BEFORE, while he was getting demolished every week, Tannehill was good. I said that during losses, during bad coaching, during lack of talent around him.

I'm being validated now by his move.

I don't think Carr is good. He has been a garbage time stats guy, sideways throwing can't rely on from jump.

How you don't get that I don't understand.

And I'm not baiting anything. Someone going to stand tall and tell me they def taking Carr over Herbert, right now? I'm not even a huge Herbert fan and he's already made some plays this year that lifts the eyebrow. I have really liked his work.

Carr did have the miracle comeback vs the Jets tho.................that was impressive............ 👍

Who exactly are they supposed to replace him with that's better?

I hate this line of reasoning and I have to hear it all the time from other 49er fans. Its an impossible question to answer because no one has any idea what QBs will be available, how good drafted QBs will ultimately be, etc. And because its an impossible question to answer, the person asking the question gets a false sense of confidence that the inability to receive a good answer means his POV is correct.

I dont know if the Raiders should move on from Carr. I havent watched enough of them to have an opinion. Id lean yes, but thats not the most educated opinion. What I do believe is that if your team does not have an elite/franchise QB, you should not stop looking for one. The Raiders have stopped looking for one. My 49ers stopped and need to begin again.

I hate this line of reasoning and I have to hear it all the time from other 49er fans. Its an impossible question to answer because no one has any idea what QBs will be available, how good drafted QBs will ultimately be, etc. And because its an impossible question to answer, the person asking the question gets a false sense of confidence that the inability to receive a good answer means his POV is correct.

I dont know if the Raiders should move on from Carr. I havent watched enough of them to have an opinion. Id lean yes, but thats not the most educated opinion. What I do believe is that if your team does not have an elite/franchise QB, you should not stop looking for one. The Raiders have stopped looking for one. My 49ers stopped and need to begin again.

I agree with this. And, I also will add, it's possible that Carr himself could do what Tannehill did and that's thrive outside of the Raiders.

I could be blaming Carr for the Raiders, when really it's the Raiders I should blame for Carr. Certainly possible, I know.

I don't think you get the difference.

I had already said BEFORE, while he was getting demolished every week, Tannehill was good. I said that during losses, during bad coaching, during lack of talent around him.

I'm being validated now by his move.

I don't think Carr is good. He has been a garbage time stats guy, sideways throwing can't rely on from jump.

How you don't get that I don't understand.

And I'm not baiting anything. Someone going to stand tall and tell me they def taking Carr over Herbert, right now? I'm not even a huge Herbert fan and he's already made some plays this year that lifts the eyebrow. I have really liked his work.

Carr did have the miracle comeback vs the Jets tho.................that was impressive............ 👍

I’m not talking about your support of Tannehill fool. :lol:

What are you rambling about? Your condescending nature is cringe inducing man.

How you don't get that I don't understand

I literally said this about you twice! Let the superiority complex go for just one second.

I don't think you actually watch Carr play. The idea that Carr is a garbage time stats padding guy? I've literally never heard that one before. :rofl:

It blows my mind that someone could watch his performances this season and think to themselves, THAT'S the problem with the Raiders.

He's carrying the team and performing well on a consistent basis, in spite of a flawed offensive scheme and the league's worst defense.

We're giving up 30.1 PPG. No team in the history of the league has given up that many points and won 7 games, but it's Carr that's the problem?

The quip about the Jets comeback is cute, but the irony is that it made Carr the QB with the most game winning drives in the 7 years he entered the league. :lol:

I’m not talking about your support of Tannehill fool. :lol:

What are you rambling about? Your condescending nature is cringe inducing man.

I literally said this about you twice! Let the superiority complex go for just one second.

I don't think you actually watch Carr play. The idea that Carr is a garbage time stats padding guy? I've literally never heard that one before. :rofl:

It blows my mind that someone could watch his performances this season and think to themselves, THAT'S the problem with the Raiders.

He's carrying the team and performing well on a consistent basis, in spite of a flawed offensive scheme and the league's worst defense.

We're giving up 30.1 PPG. No team in the history of the league has given up that many points and won 7 games, but it's Carr that's the problem?

The quip about the Jets comeback is cute, but the irony is that it made Carr the QB with the most game winning drives in the 7 years he entered the league. :lol:

If you're not talkin about Tanne then I'm not sure who you were referin to.

Yes, most game winning drives thru 7 years, huge accomplishment. With 1 winning season (the bulk of his comeback wins in that one season.)

We're 7 years in, not just this year. He's put up lots of garbage time stats, I'm positive it's been discussed in here or NFL thread. I remember bringing up an Atlanta game for sure.

Like I said, maybe it's his fault, maybe it's the Raiders, I dunno. By all means, keep payin him 22+ mil a year to be Top 15ish while the defense is poor and you guys struggle to figure out why......in year 8. I'm sure it'll turn around for ya.

With Mahomes and Herbert in division.
Watson, Allen, Jackson, Ben, Tannehill, Baker, Burrow, Tua, soon to be Trevor all in the AFC.

By all means, stick with Carr, please.

Back
Top Bottom