Question about Rent Control in Los Angeles...

I moved into my apartment in November last year and signed a one-year lease. The place I live is rent controlled so they can only increase my rent by 4% max each year. My rent is $750 per month, so when I re-sign my lease in November I expect to be charged up to a 4% increase in my rent. However, a new company just bought my building, so when I re-sign my lease in November, it will be with the new guys. My question is, because they are a new company, are they allowed to say "Well company A charged you $750 for rent, but because that wasn't our lease, we actually want to rent this unit for (let's say) $900 a month, so if you want to re-sign the lease, you have to pay our amount."?

Just wondering if I'm protected from this because rent control has to do with the actual building and city, or are they allowed to do this because they are a different company?

Can't find anything about it on the LA housing websites and of course their customer service number is perpetually busy.
30t6p3b.gif

It might work differently in LA, but when I worked for a property management firm rent prices didn't work that way. Generally, even if a company buys a property they still have to charge fair market value for rent. The exception to this is if the company invests in the property by doing upgrades, expanding, or adding amenities. If the new company hasn't done any of these, than you should they should only be allowed to charge you the amount that you were previously being charges plus any yearly increase.

Thanks for the link.

For the dude that wanted an answer, I did just get hold of someone. The woman said that the actual maximum that they can increase is 3% and not 4%. She said that even if it's a new company, that as long as my apartment is rent controlled and as long as they don't pay my gas or electric (which they don't) that they can only increase by 3%. If they try to ask for more, I can file a complaint with fair housing.

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

It might work differently in LA, but when I worked for a property management firm rent prices didn't work that way. Generally, even if a company buys a property they still have to charge fair market value for rent. The exception to this is if the company invests in the property by doing upgrades, expanding, or adding amenities. If the new company hasn't done any of these, than you should they should only be allowed to charge you the amount that you were previously being charges plus any yearly increase.

i think that is the issue though.  rent controlled buildings are generally below fair market value.  thats why it can be a burden to own or purchase a rent controlled building if the current tenant lease rates are far below market (since you cant just jack up the price to account for increases in property value, inflation, or general cost of living).

damn... wish i knew bout this when i was renting.

i'm 95% sure that my landlord raised my rent by more than 3% (it wasnt egregious, maybe 5% total) and my building was definitely built prior to 1978.

L.A. is probably the worst place in the country for any landlord.  The tenants have so many rights it's ridiculous.  It takes at least 5 months to evict a tenant for nonpayment.  If you want to make a tenant move (even if they're being disruptive) you're required to pay a minimum of $17K to them!

Back
Top Bottom