Question To My Black & Other Ethnic Nt'ers Vol. College...

ehh Im use to it. I went to a private quaker middle school, so it was mainly white. I went to a super diverse high school, and now Im in college. But when it comes down to it, most of my classes have equal numbes of asian, indian, and white people, so its not like their is 1 race that is super dominant

Originally Posted by youngdoc

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

Brothas in college= play ball, rapper, promoter, greek life.. When chicks find out you ain't onnunadat, they either love or hate you. 
Black men in college is a sad statistic tho, take away scholarships for ball and 
30t6p3b.gif
eek.gif
I came into college at 6'2 and about 170 lbs with no muscles and still had folks asking me if I played for the football team

This was at Stanford which is 50% non-white and had a 10% black pop when I was there. Most of us weren't athletes

... but you were at Stanford, doe.... that's different

Originally Posted by ricky409

Brothas in college= play ball, rapper, promoter, greek life.. When chicks find out you ain't onnunadat, they either love or hate you. 
Black men in college is a sad statistic tho, take away scholarships for ball and 
30t6p3b.gif
eek.gif
I came into college at 6'2 and about 170 lbs with no muscles and still had folks asking me if I played for the football team

This was at Stanford which is 50% non-white and had a 10% black pop when I was there. Most of us weren't athletes

elaborate

Took a lot of adjusting to at first, but eventually I got over it. Can't wait to transfer back home where there is more diversity though.

elaborate
 I think hes trying to say, going to an elite or ivy league school, and you are a tall individual, I think that most people would assume you were into sports. Where as the guy who is 5'5, I doubt people are questioning that

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

Originally Posted by INS

Its fine but i def sense the subtle racism. like the other day i sneezed and this j/o said she wonders how it feels to have that much air come out of my nostrils

I hope you're joking.
laugh.gif

roll.gif
this belongs in the thread where the dude is looking to make fun of his bro with a big nose

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

Being a Black male in a Black feminism class.

Why would you even do that to yourself though?

Originally Posted by JVII

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but my sentiments exactly.

roll.gif

Originally Posted by blakep267

elaborate
 I think hes trying to say, going to an elite or ivy league school, and you are a tall individual, I think that most people would assume you were into sports. Where as the guy who is 5'5, I doubt people are questioning that
That's why I mentioned the black pop of 10%. If it was 2 or 3% like some of the UC's it would have been a safer assumption. Most of us weren't athletes and I definitely did not look like a football player when I came in as a freshman.

how small was your school/program that you were the only black guy in all your classes?

When I joined the Marines was the 1st time I've ever heard the N-word from a white person....we fought. I've met several people who said that I'm the 1st black person they've ever met, and plenty more people have said that I dont act like "most black people". My high school was 65% black, so its pretty wild for me

Originally Posted by Yeah

roll.gif
Try being a white dude in a Latino Studies class with a feminist professor...dear lord...I (and the few other white people who had the misfortune of taking this course) was pretty much single handedly blamed for Latinas who didn't want to embrace obesity (she said that the ancient Mayans/Incas were fat, so fat Mexican girls trying to lose weight were falling to the pressure of the white man, which made all the hoodrats in the class applaud the professor
laugh.gif
), Latinas dying their hair blonde and posing for lowrider magazine, Selena's music not being popular outside the Latino community, lowriders with decals not being allowed to cruise around neighborhoods, taco trucks being scarce, etc. I mean I acknowledge that there are issues that white people have caused for Latinos, but THESE? what the @#%#
roll.gif
I addressed the weight issue by saying that "Girls who do that are just trying to take care of their bodies" to which the professor snapped back "BUT THEIR BODIES ARE PERFECT! IF THE SLIM, BLONDE HAIRED, BLUE EYED IDEAL DIDN'T EXIST, THESE GIRLS WOULDN'T BE OVERWEIGHT"
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

I HAD to take this course to graduate because I needed a cultural GE requirement, and this was the only course available during my last quarter of college. "Barrio Studies 145"
sick.gif
roll.gif
Got a C- in this class while all the hoodrats who took remedial math 3 times got As

Originally Posted by SFC415

roll.gif
Try being a white dude in a Latino Studies class with a feminist professor...dear lord...I (and the few other white people who had the misfortune of taking this course) was pretty much single handedly blamed for Latinas who didn't want to embrace obesity (she said that the ancient Mayans/Incas were fat, so fat Mexican girls trying to lose weight were falling to the pressure of the white man, which made all the hoodrats in the class applaud the professor
laugh.gif
), Latinas dying their hair blonde and posing for lowrider magazine, Selena's music not being popular outside the Latino community, lowriders with decals not being allowed to cruise around neighborhoods, taco trucks being scarce, etc. I mean I acknowledge that there are issues that white people have caused for Latinos, but THESE? what the @#%#
roll.gif
I addressed the weight issue by saying that "Girls who do that are just trying to take care of their bodies" to which the professor snapped back "BUT THEIR BODIES ARE PERFECT! IF THE SLIM, BLONDE HAIRED, BLUE EYED IDEAL DIDN'T EXIST, THESE GIRLS WOULDN'T BE OVERWEIGHT"
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

I HAD to take this course to graduate because I needed a cultural GE requirement, and this was the only course available during my last quarter of college. "Barrio Studies 145"
sick.gif
roll.gif

Can't tell if trolling....

Originally Posted by thisizdray

roll.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

sick.gif
roll.gif

Dead serious. Go to the UCSB course catalog ->Chicano Studies->Barrio Popular Culture .if you don't believe me. If you think I'm being a racist troll, I'll look for my old lecture notes/handouts and scan them. The course syllabus made it sound like a real study on Latino culture; the class itself was just ridiculous though.

I was used to being the only black guy in class by the time I got to college went to a small high school were there around 5 black kids in my graduating class.

30t6p3b.gif
eek.gif
true story, im usually not the only one, but when im in a lecture of 160 people and i can count the black people, (not just guy) on one hand i say *!# in my head

I'm use to it now. I kinda figured once I'm in the "real world" I'll be in the same predicament so i midas whale get use to it now.

I remember in 5th grade being the only black kid in my whole class when we were learning about slavery and the middle passage. Most awkward situation I can recall being in.

laugh.gif
roll.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

sick.gif
roll.gif

Dead serious. Go to the UCSB course catalog ->Chicano Studies->Barrio Popular Culture .if you don't believe me. If you think I'm being a racist troll, I'll look for my old lecture notes/handouts and scan them. The course syllabus made it sound like a real study on Latino culture; the class itself was just ridiculous though.
When I was in high school we got a sub one day who apparently was a follower of NOI. I was already one of maybe 40 white kids in my school let alone in this particular class. Most awkward 45 mins of my life.

I know my mom used to teach at Westinghouse High School in Pittsburgh. That school was 99.9% black, and the only non black student was an asian kid

Barrio Popular Culture though?
roll.gif

30t6p3b.gif
eek.gif

I know exactly how you feel, I'm 6'5 and I ran track in college and it didn't matter if it was mid-season people would STILL ask if I was on the basketball team/ Second guess was always football then last was track because I had long legs . I played ball at the Ju-Co I went to before I transferred and ran track so I guess they weren't too far off . I've had my fair share of
pimp.gif
's when I gave input on a topic of discussion, actually had a professor tell me after we took the final that i'm an exceptional speaker but I just need to slow down when i talk 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom