R.I.P Kobe Bryant.

this still the craziest imo
332EC740-3444-40CB-A46E-99BF79A7E31B.jpeg

First of all, I'm not Black or White but yeah Kobe was definitely seen as a safe Black man to mainstream america which means white america, for the most part all the corporate sports aka the major leagues will only prop up the black athletes they deem "safe" that white ppl can feel comfortable cheering for. Only in Boxing and some of the sports without the major corporate backing do you see the unsafe black men rise to the top
Facts.

I think that what Kobe proved as a Black man is that no matter the obstacle? If given the opportunity, there is nothing that can stop us. In that, and while knowing his history? I am proud. He re acclimated himself, morphed into different modes, became what others did not think he could become, all while being Black.

I think that it was a fantastic feat to make all of these white dudes think that he was Italian.

Last edited:
Fortunately for Kobe he only lived in Italy until he was 12 or so or he would've likely faced a lot more blatant racism through the years even as he became the greatest Basketball player ever in Italy, those that aren't familiar with soccer, all you have to do is go reference Mario Balotelli's experience growing up in Italy being adopted by white Italian couple and what he's had to endure when he became a star soccer player there and becoming the 1st black player on Italian National team for the world cup

Fortunately for Kobe he only lived in Italy until he was 12 or so or he would've likely faced a lot more blatant racism through the years even as he became the greatest Basketball player ever in Italy, those that aren't familiar with soccer, all you have to do is go reference Mario Balotelli's experience growing up in Italy being adopted by white Italian couple and what he's had to endure when he became a star soccer player there and becoming the 1st black player on Italian National team for the world cup
Facts

There is a great documentary on Kobe, one that features Tamika Catchings. They speak on that. She was there for a bit, and faced the same discrimination.

Back
Top Bottom