R.I.P. My 2000 Honda Civic SI

Originally Posted by nomas04

Has anyone heard about smoging problems with these Japanese engines better yet does anyone on her have an engine like this and can tell me how its been for them?
I'm curious about this too. I know here in NY when you want to pass emissions you pay off the mechanic and they'll run another car andjust give you the sticker. You should join some Honda message boards and ask around. Keep us updated.

Originally Posted by nomas04

How much and what are the negatives about it?
the only negative i can see is that you'll have the opportunity to make 400hp all motor
wink.gif

sry to hear that about ur car. Test drive a bunch of cars but I will NEVER buy american again. it's all asian for me!

That sucks. If I were you I'd take this as a chance to get out of the rice scene. Look what it's done for you so far. Buy yourself a nice luxury carwith a warranty when you have enough loot. That's what I'd do if I was in your shoes.....But then again, I don't drive japcrap. Vroom! Vroom!V-Tech! BOOM!

Also...I'm not an expert when it comes to these japanese motor swaps, but in most motor swaps you end up having to buy wiring harnesses depending on themotor. Wiring harnesses aren't that cheap. Some cars also need the suspension to be upgraded up front for the larger motors. AND how are those stocktranny's and axles? Will they be able to hold up to the new motor power-wise? I'd do some serious research before buying any motors.

I don't mind getting a new guy, however I am really more interested in the real estate market right now with houses being so cheap so I would rather keepmy car since I owe no money on it.

I am going to call a smog place tomorrow to see if they know about these japanese engines.

****update**** The repair shop told me that I have a broken connecting rod cap which to most mechanic's is the worst thing you can do to yourengine...that's what they told me. Anyway... For those whom also are curious about the japanese motors and the fear of not passing somg. I did myresearched and call 8 smog places in my area and they all pretty much said the same thing. When buying a foreign engine you have to be sure that you use allyour U.S. emissions control components or else you will not pass smog. So as long as you are just using a foreign block you should be fine. Hope this helps.Looks like no new Car for me!!!! Sweet!

Originally Posted by lanev0

what the. you swapping k-series bud? lol get a JDM b16 or 18 should be like 2500-4000
that's a blessing in disguise fam

K series time
devil.gif

Or as 10piece suggested; get the 8th gen Si sedan. I really regret not waiting an extra 3 months. The new Sedan Si > my tC all day...

idk how it is up north.
but here in FL there ain't no such thing as smog testing centers.
so JDM engines are what's up.
what kind of engine exactly did they quote you at $1600, and is that with or without labor?

K series is pretty much the newer version of your motor, just pretty much has intelligent v-tec and almost unlimited capabilities but that's if you'rehardcore into tuners and stuff.

just get a jdm b16a and call it a day.

Back
Top Bottom