Racism in Soccer in comparison to NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL....

I was just reading about the problems the FIFA prez had w. his comments about what should be done about racist remarks in their games...he was real non-chalant about it and folks got upset.  That being said, I can think of a few incidents off-hand in the NHL and MLB....but why is this such a problem in Europe compared to other sports here in the US?  Isn't it so bad in Europe, that they have an anti-racism campaign w. soccer? 

^
I've seen stories about it on Real Sports and other shows.  Real sad and disturbing stuff.  I think Rome and some places in Spain were real bad.  I think it was the stadium in Rome where they have skinhead type groups in the stands all the time.  They were making monkey noises and throwing bananas at the black players.  The player being interviewed said he was close to crying during the game.

People always complain about our position as minorities in America but at least we don't have stuff happen to that degree at sporting events.  We're way more diverse than some of those small European countries.

Spain, Italy, and Russia are the worst. I feel for ANY black player playing in those countries. Even counting England, I feel like it's far too often that some team is being investigated because their fans were chanting something racist from the stands. Sepp Blatter is sexist/ racist fool. He should have been replaced LONG ago. As long as racism is a problem in Europe, it'll be a problem in the sport.

Italy and Spain as others already mentioned are hotbeds for ignorance and stupidity. South Americans aren't too far off either...

I've always hated Suarez, that piece of *%+$.

It really blows my mind how blatant it gets sometimes. I guess it's cuz for some small segments of their society, it's still accepted behavior. Some would throw bananas on the pitch or do ape-chants and probably for that group of people and a few around them, it's acceptable. I've seen on TV some skinheads doing chants too... very scary and sickening stuff.

For goodness sakes, it has its own Wikipedia page. Here are some other instances...

fVsUs.jpg

Here's when Peter Odemwingie was bought from his Russian club by West Brom
ay05N.jpg

This is Zarate (a professional footballer) being an idiot
2005425.jpg

Sammy Eto'o received a warm welcome in Russia
barnes_1009818c.jpg

And John Barnes kicking a banana.
Barnes, in his early years at Liverpool, was having to deal with racist abuse from opposing supporters and far-right groups — a famous photograph was once taken of Barnes, in full Liverpool kit and mid-match, casually backheeling away a banana which had been hurled at him during a derby match with Everton at Goodison Park.[sup][4][/sup] He also claimed Liverpool supporters had written to him to not join the club, as well as being abused by opposition players and even on occcasion he would overhear a team mate make a racist remark towards other black players in opposiiton teams. Upon one of his first times at Anfield, Barnes claimed that the tea lady had, intentionally or unintentionally served all the players in the lounge tea except from himself and he made a joke about it by asking light heartedly "Is it because I'm black?"[sup][5][/sup]

I would say that the number of racists in Europe are the same/less than here in the USA, but over here racists have learned to be more clever about it in public.

And I'm definitely not excusing the behavior, but most of the time the racist chants are meant to infuriate/distract the opposing players as much as possible. Like the Zaragoza vs Barca match where Zaragoza fans were making monkey calls towards Eto'o, while their own team had black players that they cheered for. Again, I'm not excusing it, I'm just saying that it's more insensitivity and stupidity than actual racism. Of course, it doesn't apply to the skinheads who show up with Nazi flags and @#$%. I would never play in Russia if I were black

this type of stuff makes me sick and im originally from eastern europe....cant understand why someone can hate someone because of their skin color....SMH

a friend of mine had a classmate that played football over in russia, and basically the players ended up taking him out of the league

Stuff like this makes me sick....sometimes the amount of money you make isn't worth the verbal abuse that you get. On top of it all, that Zarate dude is a MINORITY!
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

I would say that the number of racists in Europe are the same/less than here in the USA, but over here racists have learned to be more clever about it in public.
If you're going to make ridiculous comments like this, you should probably have some evidence to back it up.

And I'm definitely not excusing the behavior, but most of the time the racist chants are meant to infuriate/distract the opposing players as much as possible. Like the Zaragoza vs Barca match where Zaragoza fans were making monkey calls towards Eto'o, while their own team had black players that they cheered for. Again, I'm not excusing it, I'm just saying that it's more insensitivity and stupidity than actual racism. Of course, it doesn't apply to the skinheads who show up with Nazi flags and @#$%. I would never play in Russia if I were black

So insensitivity and stupidity doesn't play a major role in racism?

There are a lot more prevalent far right groups in some parts of Europe and just more intolerance of blacks and muslims in general. These signs were all over the place when I was in Switzerland a couple years ago:

attachment.php

The campaign was about a referendum to ban the construction of minarets altogether aka suppressing Muslim's religious freedom. I didn't even have a heavy beard going on but I got more than a few people giving me the stinkeye because they thought I might have been middle eastern (I'm white/cuban, but for whatever reason I've had a lot of Iranian people ask me if I'm from Iran
laugh.gif

It's definitely more blatant, especially if look at countries like Russia. I think the fact that skinhead gangs literally beat people of different races to death in broad daylight on the streets of Russia is a bigger problem.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

If you're going to make ridiculous comments like this, you should probably have some evidence to back it up.

So you're telling me there AREN'T massive numbers of racists here in the US???? Racism/discrimination here is far more subtle, but doesn't mean that it's not widespread.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I was just reading about the problems the FIFA prez had w. his comments about what should be done about racist remarks in their games...he was real non-chalant about it and folks got upset.  That being said, I can think of a few incidents off-hand in the NHL and MLB....but why is this such a problem in Europe compared to other sports here in the US?  Isn't it so bad in Europe, that they have an anti-racism campaign w. soccer? 
Europe ? You'll find racism in every league and country but it isn't a remarkable problem everywere.Racism sucks always, not to be misunderstood.
I guess the difference is the audience.You find every social group at a football game and people use football as a plug for frustration and emotions.

at least they don't conceal it like the scary %#%#%!$@*$@!! in america......but i'd rather be around open racism then concealed racism

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

So insensitivity and stupidity doesn't play a major role in racism?
It does, and I already said I'm not excusing it,condoning it,supporting it, etc. I'm just saying that the way some of those fans think is more of "I'm gonna yell out the worst things possible to distract/anger that player" rather than "I hate black people, so I'm gonna racially insult him" without realizing the consequences and history behind what they're saying. It's different from the fans who have true hatred/disgust for people of different races. I'm only bringing this up because people are making comments about how all of Spain, Italy, etc are hotbeds of hatred. I have many European relatives and the way some of them talk/act sounds bad to us, but to them making fun of someone's race is on the same level as calling him or her a fat @$#, an idiot, etc. They just don't get it.

And that sign from Switzerland against Islam is disturbing, but nowhere as despicable as the mass protests against the mosque in NYC. As an American I value diversity and acceptance, and that whole ordeal was the complete opposite of everything we stand for. People saying @#$% like "I'm not discriminating, I just think it's insensitive" @#$% outta here with that undercover hate @#$%
indifferent.gif

As a whole, Europe cares much less about political correctness than America. At the end of the day there are ignorant/idiotic supporters of every team and league on Earth; European lax culture, and the fact that futbol fans are 100x more passionate (which can and often has been a bad thing) in their support than other fans only serves to exacerbate the problems.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

As a whole, Europe cares much less about political correctness than America. At the end of the day there are ignorant/idiotic supporters of every team and league on Earth; European lax culture, and the fact that futbol fans are 100x more passionate in their support than other fans only serves to exacerbate the problems.
I agree with this. Its sad that this stuff is happening in soccer matches where people go to see a team game. 

And I wouldnt call monkey chants and nazi flags intended to distract players. It is what it is. If they are willing to pull that *$#$ in the stands then it shows what sort of feelings they hold towards people of the race or culture in general.

Back
Top Bottom