Rajon Rondo to leave Nike for Anta

rell826

Banned
[h1]  [/h1]
[h1]The Industry // Rajon Rondo To Ditch Nike For Anta?[/h1]

September 10th 2013 | 46 comments

words // Nick DePaula

When it comes to teasers and hints, this one is pretty straightforward to solve.

About a month ago, I got a text from a friend in the footwear industry based in China that just read: "Anta is getting one of the big names."

Next summer is the needle moving class of sneaker free agent players (which includes KD, Kyrie, Paul George, rookie Andrew Wiggins and many others...), but still, this summer's group of Steph Curry, Jeremy Lin, Tyreke Evans, Joakim Noah and Rajon Rondo still boasts some great talent.

So when Anta posted this teaser of their new lineup of players on their website recently,  first spotted by Celtics loyalist KWAPT, it would appear to be easy enough to connect the dots.

Anta%20Lineup%20Teaser.png

The shadowed-out players in the lineup of Anta endorsers make up "TEAM PRICELESS," which was probably awkwardly coined thanks to Google Translator.

Image #1 would of course be Kevin Garnett, who is not only in clear sight with his last name across his jersey (easy guess!), but who also just recently re-upped with Anta on a five-year extension.

Image #2 is new Pacers forward Luis Scola, longtime Anta endorser and proud owner of the league's most luscious hair.

Image #3? Well, that'd be none other than Celtics point guard and current sneaker free agent Rajon Rondo. It's apparently a modified silhouette taken from a Nike Hyperfuse 2011 photoshoot.

Anta%20Lineup%20Teaser%20Rondo%203.jpg

I'm fairly certain the silhouette used for Image #4 is ALSO Rajon Rondo -- but I couldn't find the exact photo match and that's more of a guess based on his slashing stance.  Maybe the brand is also adding yet another guard to the stable.

Image #5? Well, that's definitely also Rajon Rondo. Because it's clearly a silhouette from one of the most often seen photos of Rondo, where his awesome Rolls Royce logo back tattoo is clearly visible.

Anta%20Rondo%20Teaser.jpg

So, when Rajon Rondo's contract officially comes to a close with Nike at the end of the month, keep an eye out for a likely announcement that he'll be joining Anta, one of China's premier sportswear brands.

Wearing Foams, Hyperposite PEs and assorted Huaraches can indeed be great, but according to several sources over the last two years, Anta has been offering nearly double the amount of straight cash to players like Blake Griffin, James Harden and Steph Curry. Those three took less money to join different brands, but Rajon Rondo appears to be open to the move and will look to build his brand overseas.

Perhaps his close teammate of five years and Anta's primary asset in Kevin Garnett was able to sway him to join the movement.

It's hard to blame Rondo too, because he's clearly a wanted man. So much so, that Anta is apparently willing to play him at up to three positions in the starting five of "TEAM PRICELESS."

Read more: http://*************.com/news/the-industry-rajon-rondo-to-ditch-nike-for-anta-/#ixzz2eatkTawM

i think he's talking about these pics
ivPdjTAAO9sSN.jpg

ibs8J6NIhXNZJm.jpg

ijxUtoNuvJYuw.jpg

take from anta chinese website company, good to hear some chinese sport apparel finally sign more big names for their own sneaker line

Good for Rondo. Good for the players IMO. I'd like to see more players step out of the Nike/Adidas/JB comfort zone and not only embrace other brands, but try to make themselves global. Competition is good. Also, I think we'll get more creativity with more players stretched out across multiple brands as opposed to a big one or two companies showcasing 2, maybe 3 sigs, and then the rest of the roster get PE's of whatever model said brand happens to be pushing that year.

I like Anta's line for KG.

They should sell their stuff here in the States.

That's good RR is going to Anta. He can always wear Nike off the court.

Anta KG 2
View media item 574332

Last edited:
I like Anta's line for KG.

They should sell their stuff here in the States.

That's good RR is going to Anta. He can always wear Nike off the court.

Anta KG 2
Pretty much what most of the NBA players with overseas shoe contracts do. There's pics of Wade wearing Jordans in the past year and he's been all Li-Ning'd out. There was an offseason pic of KG wearing AJ8's, so it's all good. As long as these Chinese brands are producing a good shoe for the player, it shouldn't matter if a star doesn't choose Nike or JB to wear on court. Plus it's a business decision. If JB or Nike is offering you 3-400,000 a year and Li-Ning, or Peak or Anta is offering 800,000 to a million a year, plus a sig shoe, maybe more, than you'd be a frickin fool not to choose the Chinese brand. Money over swag I say.

On a separate note, that pic you posted is the Anta KG 1. I'll post some pics of the KG's later.

Last edited:
Pics of Rondo's Anta shoe..

...and a pic of the black version on Rondo's feet

mean.gif
no more rondo PE hyperposites, china is really going all out to sign the big named NBA players to shoe deals.

ehh

China is going to start signing a lot of these guys it looks like. The support over there has to be insane :wow:

I actually like the design of the shoe, where can I cop?
That might be tough. KG's shoes didn't have a full launch in the US (heard of some local Boston shoe spots having the 1st KG's and they didn't sell very well) so not sure if they are going to do limited launch or not launch at all in the US and making anyone here have to go to the secondary market (hibasketballshoes, peaksneakers, taobao) to get them. Another issue (at least for me) will be if Anta produces larger sizes. I've searched everywhere for some KGs and can't find anything larger than a US sz 10. Hopefully with Rondo's shoe, that gets corrected.

That might be tough. KG's shoes didn't have a full launch in the US (heard of some local Boston shoe spots having the 1st KG's and they didn't sell very well) so not sure if they are going to do limited launch or not launch at all in the US and making anyone here have to go to the secondary market (hibasketballshoes, peaksneakers, taobao) to get them. Another issue (at least for me) will be if Anta produces larger sizes. I've searched everywhere for some KGs and can't find anything larger than a US sz 10. Hopefully with Rondo's shoe, that gets corrected.

I thought the same for the Li Ning WOWs but they had a size US 14. So Anta should have big sizes if anything a 12 would be the biggest. I don't care I won't be buying these.

Looks lightweight he should be wearing something like this not Hyperposites. the lateral side looks good. Good old herringbone, they should be performance beasts.

the shoe is nice, the logo is cheesy IMO... The should've incorporated the double R or keep it gangsta with something like "Rondo Numba 9" :pimp:

Wow, I did not know that after Dwayne Wade we have another NBA star player to switch from Nike/JB to a new Chinese athletic brand.
I actually thought it would take much longer for the Chinese to enter the market of sport shoes for NBA athletes.
I must say the design isn't bad and actually even more appealing than many recent Adidas or Nikes.

Back
Top Bottom