Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

I'd argue what's being consumed is not totally in our control, at least we have the most control in the beginning of an artist's career but once they get to a certain level their popularity steers them past any "gate keeper" we may have.

Looking for a recent graph but according to RBR we are not the majority who consume Hip Hop
this is 2017
1e0e9b689ff35492f01c2a9bc2f311c5.600x310x1.png

First of all, list is only predicated by US numbers. Whites are not the global majority. Asians are #1, #2 India, then #3 African...

I’m laughing at you REALLY think whites listen to more rap music than Blacks?

If the list WERE true, you really think these people who complain about the loud music in our cars, our loud music at block parties, us “disturbing the peace” SHOULD be allowed to dictate our genre? It would make me hate the list even more... if true. :rofl: :lol:

Ride around a white suburb or predominantly white area with your music blasting loud and see what happens :lol: :rofl:

lol I remember that statement and was disappointed in him for saying. I'm not gonna try and make excuses for him or act like what he said about his "white rapper" problems aren't tone deaf, I just never took what he said as anything that couldn't be solved with some information. I don't think he's purposely scavenging the culture
Nah that dude don't give a damn about no hip hop culture. :lol: :smh:

He just like the "coolness" of it. It's way too many red flags with homie. Em has always acknowledged the privilege he had as a white dude in hip hop and has shown the upmost respect to the people that influenced him. Even Macklamore acknowledge his advantages and don't shy away from racial topics.

First of all, list is only predicated by US numbers. Whites are not the global majority. Asians are #1, #2 India, then #3 African...

If the list WERE true, you really think these people who complain about the loud music in our cars, our loud music at block parties, us “disturbing the peace” SHOULD be allowed to dictate our genre? It would make me hate the list even more... if true. :rofl: :lol:

Ride around a white suburb or predominantly white area with your music blasting loud and see what happens :lol: :rofl:

White kids in high school love rap music

Pretty much. But this BEEN going on. Eminem had access to actual pop and top 40 charts that black rappers didn’t.

I been talking about this on NT for a minute...but the charts been ***** on Black artists from the hip hop space until fairy recently. Streaming actually helped a bit for hip hop and charting. But even so, NF, G-Eazy, Post Malone, Macklemore, etc etc were and are getting actual placements on Pop radio. There was a time circa 2010-2015 when even Drake wasn’t get that look. Which is crazy.

Publications had no choice. You’ve got to remember, the “old guard” has aged. The new publications or people who determine this stuff actually grew up around hip hop. The opinion (as far as music) for a 28-40 year old white person who grew up during integration and the infancy of rap, would definitely differ than someone in their 50s, 60s, or 70s who grew up when the country was still somewhat segregated and rap hadn’t really been mainstream.

If you have a global graph to share that backs up your point feel free to share, I'm not invested in sticking to something if it's wrong. But if you are going to discount what I have because it's not on a large enough scale I'd like to see what you got.

This has nothing to do with who should be able to dictate the genre, it's about figuring out this "We" that people toss up when talking about "allowing" somebody to do something that they have practically complete freedom to do.

If you have a global graph to share that backs up your point feel free to share, I'm not invested in sticking to something if it's wrong. But if you are going to discount what I have because it's not on a large enough scale I'd like to see what you got.

This has nothing to do with who should be able to dictate the genre, it's about figuring out this "We" that people toss up when talking about "allowing" somebody to do something that they have practically complete freedom to do.

The “we” ain’t based on logistics or numbers. For example, see how that black dudes country song was REMOVED???

A black publication, radio, etc. WOULD NEVER removed a white rap artists song from it’s playlist...

Therein lies problem!

BET, hot97, etc would never say “oh, we’re going to stop playing Post Malone because the song isn’t hip hop”

But a white company removing a black artist? You better believe it.

Post Malone is currently charting on the Pop/Hip Hop Charts at the same time. Look at the other names on the hip hop list who aren’t charting on Pop.

348F6CDC-914A-401E-B002-38504EF2444E.png

AD6BB954-00CC-43B8-BCDF-CBD0983F1A5F.png

What makes Post Malone more of a Pop Star than Travi$ Scott? :nerd: :nerd:. Hell or even a country star. Both from Texas with similar images and sounds.

Post gets the placements tho.

And we know for a fact young white people listen to Cardi, Travis and 21. That's where they get all their slang from and whats "cool". White people consume a lot of black culture.

:lol: @ a pop singer named Benny Blanco.
hqdefault.jpg

The “we” ain’t based on logistics or numbers. For example, see how that black dudes country song was REMOVED???

A black publication, radio, etc. WOULD NEVER removed a white rap artists song from it’s playlist...

Therein lies problem!

That's my issue with "We" it's not based on anything other than the desire for change. "We" shouldn't just be uttered as a tool to generalize all black people as a failing body who can't keep a hold on what is important to us because we aren't all doing that. There's a group within us that are, stop lumpin' us all in with the failing parts and talk to them directly.

I see the problem and I'm with you but at a certain point we have to stop being surprised when these things happen and mobilize toward the solution.

Do you think our time is better suited trying to convince them he deserves to be on that chart or upholding our own created and backed chart to be a respected achievement?

Who said they didn’t consume hip hop?

Secondly, do you think their parents agree with them listening to hip hop?

Dude you said you don’t think white people listen to more rap music than we do. I’m telling you they listen to just as much as we do. What does their parents have to do with anything? My 60 year old parents don’t like rap either.

Well at this point white rappers can just skip over the black audience. I don't know any black people that was listening to Macklamore but he was very successful with white folks. Funny enough Macklamore has actually shown way more respect for hip hop than Post Malone.

Have you heard some the stuff he's said about hip hop and how he shows zero awareness? :lol:

He's basically like a male version of yesjulz/Iggy.

Same thing with Logic. Though you can tell he truly does respect hip hop, he can circumvent the black listeners as well without a problem at all. He is actually skilled, but he's also a mashup of 3 other artists that simply make better music than him.

Back
Top Bottom