Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Thing about that and 90s rap in general is that they were sampling other genres and making rap songs. A lot of these new dudes are sampling old rap and r and b and still making the same rap or r and b songs just with different lyrics, and never really making songs better or unique from the original. My mom loves a lot of those old puff/biggy/Dr. Dre samples :lol:

Right. All sampling ain't the same.

Big difference between

And

I was one of the biggest dipset fans around back in the day...
with that said, heatmakerz have been terrible for awhile now.
I said what I said. something is off with them and with the way cam is making music.
hurts to hear.

That ain't the case with a lot of the **** they dropping. A lot of these colorways are horrible fakes lookin

PSNY-x-Air-Jordan-12-2017.jpg

air-jordan-11-prom-night-1.jpg

117735073-vienna-austria-june-14-2017-nike-air-jordan-8-retro-white-black-and-purple-sneaker-isolated-on-white.jpg

rBVaR1sCi7eANfmFAAX3IdFME8M371.jpg

And the quality on most of 'em is trash now.

this..they did the same with air maxes as well smh

I was one of the biggest dipset fans around back in the day...
with that said, heatmakerz have been terrible for awhile now.
I said what I said. something is off with them and with the way cam is making music.
hurts to hear.

source.gif

Happy Gday to CL smooth!

Still drives me crazy that this version wasn't on the album of the same name nor was it the version used for the video.

It was on the All Souled Out EP. May still be my 2nd favorite Pete and CL joint (I'm sure many of us have an obvious #1)...

Holy **** I had no idea he produced that.

My ****....

Thing about that and 90s rap in general is that they were sampling other genres and making rap songs. A lot of these new dudes are sampling old rap and r and b and still making the same rap or r and b songs just with different lyrics, and never really making songs better or unique from the original. My mom loves a lot of those old puff/biggy/Dr. Dre samples :lol:

I agree w this but I think we gotta consider that Hip Hop was still young as hell at that time. We got 45 years of rap history to look back on now so it kinda make sense that _’s wanna go back and dig in (however half assed it may be)

Like the Ms Jackson sample for instance, that song came out like 20 years ago at this point

Seniors in HS slapping that Khaled/SZA joint prolly have heard the original but they legit weren’t even born when that **** dropped :lol:

Last edited:
I agree w this but I think we gotta consider that Hip Hop was still young as hell at that time. We got 45 years of rap history to look back on now so it kinda make sense that _’s wanna go back and dig in (however half assed it may be)

Like the Ms Jackson sample for instance, that song came out like 20 years ago at this point

Seniors in HS slapping that Khaled/SZA joint prolly have heard the original but they legit weren’t even born when that **** dropped :lol:

I hear that. I guess I'm speaking more to the novelty and appeal of taking a song, reimagining it and the art of transforming it into a rap song and giving it that hip hop stamp. 'Rise' is a great song. A classic. But it's a song you sit down on the couch and snap your fingers to. 'Hypnotize' will have you feeling yourself and moving your hand back and forth like 'every-cutie-witta-booty-bought-her-coogi'. It's a WHOLE different vibe..my mom loves both those songs :lol:.

Most of these dudes today are basically doing the so gone challenge and that's wack af when you lived thru the original. Like Dre and Snoop weren't just doing remakes of Isley Bros songs, they were creating a new genre. So when I hear a 90s rap song remade into a current day song and it's the same song, same melody a lot of times it's hard to get into when I've heard it a million times by a better artist. I like what childish did with that stay woke joint for example. He made a whole new song that holds its own next to the original. THAT'S hip hop. But something like my type and freek a leek is just kinda lazy, uninspired and taking advantage of somebody else's hot song. Those type of songs don't do the originals any justice

I hear that. I guess I'm speaking more to the novelty and appeal of taking a song, reimagining it and the art of transforming it into a rap song and giving it that hip hop stamp. 'Rise' is a great song. A classic. But it's a song you sit down on the couch and snap your fingers to. 'Hypnotize' will have you feeling yourself and moving your hand back and forth like 'every-cutie-witta-booty-bought-her-coogi'. It's a WHOLE different vibe..my mom loves both those songs :lol:.

Most of these dudes today are basically doing the so gone challenge and that's wack af when you lived thru the original. Like Dre and Snoop weren't just doing remakes of Isley Bros songs, they were creating a new genre. So when I hear a 90s rap song remade into a current day song and it's the same song, same melody a lot of times it's hard to get into when I've heard it a million times by a better artist. I like what childish did with that stay woke joint for example. He made a whole new song that holds its own next to the original. THAT'S hip hop. But something like my type and freek a leek is just kinda lazy, uninspired and taking advantage of somebody else's hot song. Those type of songs don't do the originals any justice

Yeah I feel you on this 100% :lol:

Rza was genius for taking 70's soul R&B and turning into grimey black hoodies and timbs music.

RZA is a wizard man, in a different world bruh could’ve just been a straight up composer

You can tell he prolly spent the bulk of his free time listening to weird experimental ****, film scores, soul etc

Like it’s only a handful of _’s that could/would sample some **** like this :lol:

I remember being young hearing this on 106th n Park and being so confused and conflicted, I couldn’t figure out if I liked this **** or not :lol:

People were saying this same thing 20 years ago.

In fact 30 years ago, but they didn't see the art in chopped up instruments.

The difference is that people are old enough now to see what people said back then did.

People were saying this same thing 20 years ago.

In fact 30 years ago, but they didn't see the art in chopped up instruments.

The difference is that people are old enough now to see what people said back then did.

I wouldn't know what people were saying 30 years ago :lol:. I just think some of these songs are only decent if you've never heard the original. I lived thru the whole r &b era, Brandy and Monica and all that. But when 'oh boy' dropped that **** was FLAMES. It wasn't a remake of I'm going down, it was a brand new track. Listening to music is almost like muscle memory and if you stick too close to the original I can't unhear it enough to appreciate the new song. A different example would be what j Cole did on that Bryson tiller track. That **** was trash AF :lol:. He actually made a different song but the tiller joint was just infinitely better and didn't need to be messed with especially so soon after it dropped. That's not a knock on Cole, just talking about how samples/covers can be delicate in that way

Jeezy, Rick Ross, Nas, Jay, etc still making good music..........

Meanwhile, one of my GOATS TIP, out here making “lists” and arguing with 20-somethings like Kodak Black. Tiny coochie ain’t hitting on nothing. He need to sit his *** down somewhere. He need to drop his line in the water at a creek or something. Sit down Clifford

Back
Top Bottom