Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Jesus christ my ***** nobody talkin down on your sacred saint of the trap... but in no world is Jeezy looked at as an "artist" & gucci is looked at as an "exec". that's a completely false narrative.

only reason I even commented is because you just be on here saying stuff because you think it sound good bro :lol:

2 months after he announced the desk job at Atlantic he was dropping singles to build buzz for Its Tha World, which dropped a month or 2 later in Dec. At the top of the year around Feb they sent RIP (a big single) to radio, did the video etc and worked that song til damn near the summer with like 3 remixes.

About 3-4 months after that he was on Twitter ranting about Def Jam, asking where LA Reid was at and threatening to leak his album before xmas if they kept refusing to give him a release date. Mind you, the same week this is going on "My Hitta" (the lead single and biggest song of his artists career) is peaking on the charts. That sound like a _ falling back to be an Exec to you? :lol:

As fans we want our fav artists to be doing the best they can do. Just like if you got a homie who could be a manager sittin' comfy as a entry level associate. You see the potential and opportunities for "growth" or "doing better for themselves" and you want them to want what you want for themselves.

I hear you but we gotta realize we're talking about multimillionaires, they're doing quite okay for themselves, not to mention in the cases of OG's a lot of the time they are falling back from music because it's a lot more money in their other ventures.

So when Joe stated that Jeezy doesn't seem as "exec" as Gucci, it through me for a loop because Jeezy seemed to make a conscious decision to start documenting all his moves outside of music.

I don't think we should judge art under those same parameters.

Success is subjective in general...but even moreso in artistic fields.

Also I think with rap music specifically...we're sort of hardwired to believe in the idea of the "rap superstar" and that everyone MUST attain that status and remain there. In other genres...you can have a band that was hot in the 90s that can tour and sell out venues for the rest of their lives...without them being considered "relevant" to the masses.

I agree, we shouldn't but we do, it's human so I don't fault anybody that does.

Rap has artists that can tour well without being seen as relevant. Waka been touring heavy for a grip but isn't nearly as "relevant" as he used to be.
Artists like Young Dro like their current popularity and seem not too phased by not getting that universal acceptance and continue to put out music for the bases. Rap isn't too different than the other genres. There may be a little bit more cannibalism than others tho

Jeezy is active enough tho, he releases at leats a project yearly, does several remixes & guest verses & has been doing it for 10+ years. Guys who already created the longevity in rap really shouldn't be as active, they've already did that work. Ain't no point in trying to be the "hottest" in the game. Just focus on the music & give your core the best project you can.

Also why do we at fans never accept that artist are completely fine with their current positions? We all do it & say rapper A could be so much bigger, or they could do X,Y,Z to get a bigger buzz.... sometimes we just gotta realize that every artist isn't trying to be the hottest in rap any more

I don't see Jeezy putting out music or working with people like Ross or 2 Chainz

only reason I even commented is because you just be on here saying stuff because you think it sound good bro :lol:

2 months after he announced the desk job at Atlantic he was dropping singles to build buzz for Its Tha World, which dropped a month or 2 later in Dec. At the top of the year around Feb they sent RIP (a big single) to radio, did the video etc and worked that song til damn near the summer with like 3 remixes.

About 3-4 months after that he was on Twitter ranting about Def Jam, asking where LA Reid was at and threatening to leak his album before xmas if they kept refusing to give him a release date. Mind you, the same week this is going on "My Hitta" (the lead single and biggest song of his artists career) is peaking on the charts. That sound like a _ falling back to be an Exec to you? :lol:

Yes in comparison to how much ground work usually went into Jeezy's projects & the output of music he usually unleashes... yes, he fell back. You basically just stated he was working on a group compilation, was working on YG.... while trying to get his personal solo album done correctly on Def Jam. So yes i do believe that he wasn't as focused on his solo music as he could've been.

I don't think we should judge art under those same parameters.

Success is subjective in general...but even moreso in artistic fields.

Also I think with rap music specifically...we're sort of hardwired to believe in the idea of the "rap superstar" and that everyone MUST attain that status and remain there. In other genres...you can have a band that was hot in the 90s that can tour and sell out venues for the rest of their lives...without them being considered "relevant" to the masses.

can't rep this enough times, some people already seen massive success in the industry, get an eye of what goes along with that success, the people that you gotta be around, the amount of time it takes etc etc & rather focus their energy elsewhere.

there's some artist who we look at & know they naturally could be much "bigger" but everyone doesn't want the fame & what comes along with it. Being the hottest requires a lot of bull**** the fans may never see. & some guys will only compromise so much of their comfort for fame, Jeezy strikes me as one of those guys.

i think Jeezy has made it very clear that he just ain't the friendliest of *****s :lol:. Based simply off the artist Jeezy has cosigned it seems like he prefers rappers who are real rather then basing it strictly off of music skill. Gucci is willing to work with whoever & that obviously is helping prolong his run in current rap.

BTW Joe was def talking about that period with Lil Lodi, & although he still managed to make heat during that period Jeezy kept trying tp push Lodi & he just wasn't that good. Personally Jeezy needs to keep what he's been doing over the last two projects, keep growing as an artist & speaking real grown ***** ****. I would love to hear him on production similar to the recession again.

This. Some of the songs he made during that period were good, but they just lacked that punch that his older stuff had. D.Rich is a much better fit for him currently, but ideally, Shawty Redd, Toomp, Midnight Black and Drumma Boy would lace him with stuff.

If none of the streaming companies are turning a profit...what the hell is the point?

How is that the future if it isn't making any money?

The long run. Netflix isn't making MUCH profit, but once they make more original content, they will

Yes in comparison to how much ground work usually went into Jeezy's projects & the output of music he usually unleashes... yes, he fell back. You basically just stated he was working on a group compilation, was working on YG.... while trying to get his personal solo album done correctly on Def Jam. So yes i do believe that he wasn't as focused on his solo music as he could've been.

The album was supposed to drop on the heels of that Its Tha World tape, R.I.P. and that 'In My Mind' song w RHQ, which he ended up just giving to TIP. All the prospective dates came and went, he drops a compilation and then around Sept he started saying it was coming "soon". If this man publicly ranting in November how long you think he had been tryna get a date before that?

The point is, the narrative that he fell back to get on his executive **** is false. He was still very active to the point of him publicly dissing his label over an album that had no buzz while his own damn artist is peaking and signed to the same label you coming at.

Even though his quality has dropped Jeezy still got a strong fan base that buys his records. With no big single Trap Or Die 3 did like 90k first week.

What separates him and Gucci is Gucci got that ear. His kids got kids in the rap game. While CTE never popped off. YG was YG w/o Jeezy. Jeezy was a exec but what did he actually do?

Nothing. Jeezy did the same for YG, Gibbs, and DBCO as Game did for Cyssero, Ya Boy, and Charli Baltimore :lol:

Interesting that Jimmy Iovine would single out Spotify (his #1 competitor) when he know that’s not the only stand alone streaming service. He basically said we cool, idk what y’all gonna do over there tho :lol: :nerd:

The industry been wanting Spotify to give up that free tier for a min I know this is partly what he referring to

Hip hop is in such a weird place man:

- People on my timeline who claim they never heard Gucci Gang all of a sudden acknowledge the Gucci Gang song once a rappity rapper gets on it

- Rapper sends off subs in the song, it’s hip hop, thats all good

- Rapper feels the need to backtrack what he said on the track, topping it off with “I’m a fan of ______”

[MEDIA][/MEDIA]

mase.gif

Mase still got it

If none of the streaming companies are turning a profit...what the hell is the point?

How is that the future if it isn't making any money?

netflix and youtube are the biggest and don’t make profits

they corner the market then figure the rest out later

the benefit of investors and long money

Back
Top Bottom