Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

So sad how rappers in the 90's was getting these huge *** deals and insane budgets and now the artist and producers of #1 songs don't see anything

I don't really think anything's changed. Them *****s were getting raped too...just on bigger budgets.

no they weren't, it's just as lot of them were unwise with their money. They will tell you how much they were getting. Hell, Pappoose was getting a seven figure deal fifteen years ago. They weren't getting back end money, but they were making more touring and on the front end.

Money is not the same as it was 15+ years ago. People were out here selling millions of records the labels were printing money

So sad how rappers in the 90's was getting these huge *** deals and insane budgets and now the artist and producers of #1 songs don't see anything

Hov, Baby, Suge, P and Irv came in not taking no bull**** because everyone else was getting ****ed and the industry never let it happen again.

Luckily at the pace things are going labels will definitely be extinct by 2030, if not within the next 5-10 years. People like Steve Stoute and Iovine see the writing on the all and move onto other ventures like “agencies” (which really are about to become the new label, its just putting a new name on the 360 deal lol) and streaming.

The lane is wide open for the right artist/mogul to come in and shake **** up but ****** too hungry for that up front bag because we need the fast come up for social media.

Money is not the same as it was 15+ years ago. People were out here selling millions of records the labels were printing money

They stopped having products to sell music on (casettes, 8 tracks, CDs, etc.) once music pretty much became as tangible/physical as air thanks to the internet.

Music itself never made money it was moreso the products people needed to access it and experiences like concerts that came with it.

I think the labels are getting money prospering from streaming, but not revealing to the artist or people at the bottom just how much they're getting. The labels have their own individual deals with Spotify, Pandora, Apple.... It says something when Tidal and Spotify aren't making money. That means all the money is going to the labels. Meanwhile the artist are making peanuts from streaming. In addition to a lot of older artist not getting paid, because they didn't have clauses in their contract back in the day that changed as technology did. Especially since a lot of them don't own their publishing and/or masters.

no they weren't, it's just as lot of them were unwise with their money. They will tell you how much they were getting. Hell, Pappoose was getting a seven figure deal fifteen years ago. They weren't getting back end money, but they were making more touring and on the front end.

I'm confused. We're talking about rappers in the 90s?

Are you telling me no artists in the 90s were getting ****ed over by record labels?

Are you telling me no artists in the 90s were getting ****ed over by record labels?

Why does it have to be such an extreme as "no artist in the 90's were getting ****ed over" no one is saying that.

My point is today its way too many artist and producers who's records are getting crazy radio play and streamed zillions of times but they aren't seeing any residuals off of it.

Back in the day if you had a hit record you were gonna see some bread off of it.

900k for XO tour life ? That **** is ****ing TERRIBLE

They stopped having products to sell music on (casettes, 8 tracks, CDs, etc.) once music pretty much became as tangible/physical as air thanks to the internet.

Music itself never made money it was moreso the products people needed to access it and experiences like concerts that came with it.

Music has made money. How do you think the paid for these deals and for all the employees.

Labels sold their product whole sale to record stores. They sold 500,000 of an album for $7 to $10. The difference is you purchased that cassette, CD, album once. It's no different than Nike. They're selling a Jordan for $99 to Footlocker, they technically made their money from that. That will allow RTV's for the big companies like Finishline and Footlocker.

Radio and other outlets also paid for the use of music.

A few were. Most weren't. How many dudes have Nore stories from the 90's? Most are reminiscing about how it was in comparison to now.

The main complaint you have is length of contract and not owning your masters. To me that's not being ****ed over. That's common knowledge and sense.

The main problem a lot of them had was signing to the wrong label and realizing it too late or getting caught up in labels merging. A lot of them like Sauce Money thought they were smart going after the bag, but they ended up with a label that didn't know what they were doing with rap.

Think if LL, Queen Latifah or Will Smith had a 360 back in the 90's. Think about that. That would be some ****. Will was making $20 mil a movie. Jive would have taken a part of everything he did.

might of been Steve stout on drink champs saying labels are making super millions back from streaming services

if it wasn’t him it was someone else big named on drink champs

You know they are, that's why they never reveal the terms of their deals with these streaming services.

And all these mixtapes ****ed the producer. Now they can say it's free music and publicity for the producer. You should be thankful your song was picked. Meanwhile a lot of artist ease it to Apple Music and Spotify without the samples.

The artist can tour off that mixtape, the producer? That's why they try and promote themselves so hard.

Music has made money. How do you think the paid for these deals and for all the employees.

Labels sold their product whole sale to record stores. They sold 500,000 of an album for $7 to $10. The difference is you purchased that cassette, CD, album once. It's no different than Nike. They're selling a Jordan for $99 to Footlocker, they technically made their money from that. That will allow RTV's for the big companies like Finishline and Footlocker.

Radio and other outlets also paid for the use of music.

i like these types of convos.

so how do you feel that system compares to streaming where ****** gotta get streamed dozens of thousands of times to probably equate money wise to ONE wholesale CD

so how do you feel that system compares to streaming where *****s gotta get streamed dozens of thousands of times to probably equate money wise to ONE wholesale CD

there’s more money in streaming, it just isn’t making it to the artists

you listen to that cd a million times it’s still only worth $10, every time a song is streamed it’s new revenue

so how do you feel that system compares to streaming where *****s gotta get streamed dozens of thousands of times to probably equate money wise to ONE wholesale CD

I guarantee you that it's a lot more profitable for the label.

The artist should be able to make their own deals.

The label makes their deal and then they decide on what percentage they want pay the artist. Who thinks the label is trying to get the best deal possible for the artist? It's totally backwards. What incentive does the label have to negotiate for their artist? The artist has to pretty much take anything they agree too, because they have no union and no one to fight for them.

And I'm sure the Taylor Swifts and Adele's aren't getting that same stream deal the standard artist is. That's how Beyonce can put her project on Tidal and then everything else.

Tay1 basically summed up it all up in just a few words. If a artist wants to be naive and sign with a label in this era. Then its on them. But your a complete idiot if you have your own sound,and gained a fanbase on you and your teams own hustle to give away the benefits of your work to a label. In the past it was somewhat understandable. Because of how music was distributed=budgets for your videos on T.V.+more of Tapes and CD,s hitting stores nation wide.

I seen underground labels/artist strong arm labels back in the 90,s. Everybody is not going to bend over just because a label shows interests in them. I seen 3-6,No Limit,Cash Money (Baby & Slim),Slim Thug keep there publishing. If not 100% of it. They own a high % of it. So they still are getting checks from old music theyve made. They used the labels as partners to benefit off of there popularity at that time. They didn't throw away/sign away there publishing/masters for upfront money.

Those artist where making money independently first after gaining a fanbase. Fast forward to today. We have something thats very powerful and beneficial to the artist of today thats called the internet. Please tell me why a new artist we've all watched like NBA Young boy. Build up a fanbase with his own team by putting out music/and videos independently. To then later on sign away his publishing for 6-7 figures. He was already popular and doing shows before the deal. Not signing wasnt going to hurt his career or the momentum he had.

He just basically put more hands in his pockets when it comes to future earnings. The internet basically made it to where an artist doesn't need a label. The artist dont have to spend alot of money on pressing up Cassette and CD,s anymore. Its all about streaming/phones/downloading. There's no reason why someone with talent should be wanting to sign with a label today. If you need a couple of stacks for studio time/a couple of videos. Then save up or find someone to invest. Because you won't have to share your $ with that many people once you start popping.

Labels are needed for flash in the pans,finicky rappers that won't have longevity. But if your a talented artist in the music game right now. I wouldnt recommend signing with any label or anybody for that matter. You can mature your sound by yourself. Music goes straight to the consumer right now because of technology. There's going to be established and newer artist who arent going to follow the slave mentality of signing to major in the future. Thats going to basically break the mold. Artist are still scared somewhat of not dealing with a label. For what i dont know.

It would take big artist like Beyonce,Hov,Drake,Kanye to spend $ on there own type of apps to deliver there music/videos to there core fans first without a label. Then the rest of the industry would follow. But its going to take some big artists to not give a d'x#. For it to be successful. With the internet. There's literally no reason for a label. Artist are just scared to be there own managers nowadays. Count your own money,book your own shows,pay your own bills. You dont need people making money off of you. Just because your talented or because you make aloooooooot of money.

Back
Top Bottom