Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

50 was and still is a true menace.

one of his most sadistic songs with a damn cartoon video

50 gets the slander for falling off at the latter part of his career, but homie was the one back then. :smh:

Problem Child and Thicker Than Water are prime examples of how he used to float on beats. :smokin

And “In the hood summer time is the killing season
It’s hot out this *****. That’s a good enough reason” is a timeless bar :lol:

I remember nelly use to lie and on one of them mtv shows he was trynna stunt how he played 3 or 4 sports in high school and showed a pic and it showed his graduation year.

You can definitely lie about your age. Grown men be getting botox, dying their greys, etc. all the time in an attempt to look young. I don’t understand it (because age is a blessing) but that stuff is more common than one would think.

My uncle owns a barber shop down here. He has hair dying on his list of specials because cats requested it so much.

And then you got some people who don’t show signs of aging very much. If you were to show some people a picture of Nas taken in 2021, and they had no previous knowledge of him, very few would suspect he’s approaching 50.

Sometimes it shows, but theres also people that look younger than their age.

yeah, but if someone been in the spotlight a good portion of your life, for instance. Block is hot and 400 degrees came out when I was in 5th and 6th grade. I knew wayne was a teen and juve was in his 20s I was 11 y/o. I’m 33 now, AINT NO WAY IN HELL BIRDMAN or wayne or juve could say they not atleast 40+ or close. And Birdman in his 50s. That’s what I mean.

If you been in the spotlight 10+ years with fans that grew old with you, you can’t pass off any lies

You can definitely lie about your age. Grown men be getting botox, dying their greys, etc. all the time in an attempt to look young. I don’t understand it (because age is a blessing) but that stuff is more common than one would think.

My uncle owns a barber shop down here. He has hair dying on his list of specials because cats requested it so much.

And then you got some people who don’t show signs of aging very much. If you were to show some people a picture of Nas taken in 2021, and they had no previous knowledge of him, very few would suspect he’s approaching 50.

I mean yeah, you can lie about your age to strangers. But to people who know you or are aware, and have aged along with you c’mon man.

It’s pointless for celebrities to lie about their age, like I said, especially if you grew up following their career, music, films, etc.

You cannot have been a factor in the 80s, 90s, etc. trying to lie about your age. That’s my point

I think it’s frown upon the music industry to start late as an artist (30) - unless you have a huge fan base or goes independent. It’s like a ticking clock.

Last edited:
I think it’s frown upon the music industry to start late as an artist - unless you have a huge fan base or goes independent. It’s like a ticking clock.

Have a friend who’s wife is a singer. Back in the early 2000s when she was trying to get signed by a record label they lied about her age all the time. She was 21 for basically for an entire decade :lol:

I think it’s frown upon the music industry to start late as an artist (30) - unless you have a huge fan base or goes independent. It’s like a ticking clock.

It used to be. Now I don't think it matters.

You used to have dudes lying like Nelly and Eazy E. Because most people were straight out of high school.

Now you can be 30 something and finally pop. Nobody even ask for an artist age because you have so many 40 somethings(Ross, 2 Chainz, Kanye) doing it. Cole, Kendrick, Future and Drake are all well in to their 30's.

Bro, I was thinking back about it during Doug E Fresh's birthday. I was like damn, so he was doing The Show and LaDiDaDi at 17...18. Dudes rap careers were done and they became legacy acts by the time they hit their mid to late 20's. They were basically football players getting in 3.5 years.

Plies, yo gotti (even though gotti been independent and doing music since the 90s) gotti ain’t break through until he was like 28/29. Plies popped off at 30. Plies is 44.

Jay’s prime was his 30s also. I notice EST Gee started shaving to look younger. He like 27 (not old but he use to have facial hair)

Kevin Gates in that Future/Drake/J Cole age range too.
50 cent became a success at 28/29 also.

Age really a non issue now. Jeezy was 28 in 2005, too.

If you come on at 28/29. You got a 10 year window until you at least 40 nowadays.

I'm guessing it's more so when you start. A lot of these guys started at an early age and had to put in the work before getting their break.

Trying to start your rapping career at 28-30, hoping for the big break - probably is where it's too late. More so with a major label.

Plies, yo gotti (even though gotti been independent and doing music since the 90s) gotti ain’t break through until he was like 28/29. Plies popped off at 30. Plies is 44.

Jay’s prime was his 30s also. I notice EST Gee started shaving to look younger. He like 27 (not old but he use to have facial hair)

Kevin Gates in that Future/Drake/J Cole age range too.
50 cent became a success at 28/29 also.

Age really a non issue now. Jeezy was 28 in 2005, too.

If you come on at 28/29. You got a 10 year window until you at least 40 nowadays.
Pretty much. I think one problem is that either the artist’s music doesn’t grow/evolve, or your fans don’t, or both lol. Nicki is 38 but her “barbs” are probably 19 and 20 year olds.

Everybody knows entertainers be fronting about ages. But I’ve heard baby lie sooooo often about his and cash money age, that it’s hilarious to me. It’s wildly inconsistent :lol:. Most people keep it in a certain range. He done went fro. 22 to 16 to 14 to 25.

:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom