Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

MJ peak was wild. Like I still distinctly remember the premiere of the Thriller video on TV. Was a legitimate national event that people planned to stay home for.
They even did that for the Black & White video.

**** was crazy. Legit interrupted w/e they were airing for MJ.

Rolling Stone, Billboard, all these mags make these fugazi lists and comparisons every quarter for clicks. MJ's peers weren't any artists that came out in the 80's. Dude was already a vet before he could legally drink. His musical peers were the Commodores, Stevie Wonder and all of the late 60's-early 70's heavyweights. A lot of (hoowhyte) people tend to discount his Jackson 5 years. They always mention "Beatlemania" and the Elvis hype before anything. The hysteria around MJ was a wave that lasted for decades.

Rolling Stone, Billboard, all these mags make these fugazi lists and comparisons every quarter for clicks. MJ's peers weren't any artists that came out in the 80's. Dude was already a vet before he could legally drink. His musical peers were the Commodores, Stevie Wonder and all of the late 60's-early 70's heavyweights. A lot of (hoowhyte) people tend to discount his Jackson 5 years. They always mention "Beatlemania" and the Elvis hype before anything. The hysteria around MJ was a wave that lasted for decades.

his jackson 5 years are never discounted. Idk what you’re talking about. Real fans of music are definitely aware of the magnitude of the Jackson 5. Look at clone groups like the Sylvers. The Jackson 5 had every family forming group ensembles and practicing in the garage and living room.

Prince, El Debarge, Rick James, etc definitely were trying to gun for MJ in the 80s. Nobody could cut a rug like Jackson though. He definitely had 1980s contemporaries, idk what you’re getting at.

He was the prodigy of all prodigies. Of course he was a household name in the 70s as well, but in adulthood, he still had people gunning for him.

IDC care about white folks and they beatles/elvis mania. That ain’t my culture. IDGAF. To say he had no 80s contemporaries is silly. Never said they were better. Competition was just supremeeeeee back then. That’s why we laughing at that Drake tweet. Current music landscape is no where near as good as it was during MJs peak. That’s what makes him so great. He competed at the highest of heights in a tougher era.

Y’all seriously questioning MJ’s legacy? :lol:

When I thought this thread couldn’t get any lower with these low musical iq’s … man oh man.

Last edited:
his jackson 5 years are never discounted. Idk what you’re talking about. Real fans of music are definitely aware of the magnitude of the Jackson 5. Look at clone groups like the Sylvers. The Jackson 5 had every family forming group ensembles and practicing in the garage and living room.

Prince, El Debarge, Rick James, etc definitely were trying to gun for MJ in the 80s. Nobody could cut a rug like Jackson though. He definitely had 1980s contemporaries, idk what you’re getting at.

He was the prodigy of all prodigies. Of course he was a household name in the 70s as well, but in adulthood, he still had people gunning for him.

IDC care about white folks and they beatles/elvis mania. That ain’t my culture. IDGAF. To say he had no 80s contemporaries is silly. Never said they were better. Competition was just supremeeeeee back then. That’s why we laughing at that Drake tweet. Current music landscape is no where near as good as it was during MJs peak. That’s what makes him so great. He competed at the highest of heights in a tougher era.

Mike had a greatest hits album before he was even 20. :lol:

I get what you saying but because mike was already a SUPERSTAR as a kid he was just on different level. Personally Ima bigger Prince fan and he was Mike's only competition but still Mike was different.

Mike had a greatest hits album before he was even 20. :lol:

I get what you saying but because mike was already a SUPERSTAR as a kid he was just on different level. Personally Ima bigger Prince fan and he was Mike's only competition but still Mike was different.

Im just basing it on the tweet from that dumbass account. Drake is only big because of the lack of good artists nowadays and these silly, groupthink millennials.

All I said was, MJ was head and shoulders above even the most competitive music era ever. That was my point.

Drake’s competition is so terrible. I’m talking about all music genres as a whole.
Mike bridged rap and still was doing numbers even i the early 2000s. All genres were great in Mikes era and he was the clear number 1.

Drakes is basically the default because these male and female musicians suck across all genres now.

Im just basing it on the tweet from that dumbass account. Drake is only big because of the lack of good artists nowadays and these silly, groupthink millennials.

All I said was, MJ was head and shoulders above even the most competitive music era ever. That was my point.

Drake’s competition is so terrible. I’m talking about all music genres as a whole.
Mike bridged rap and still was doing numbers even i the early 2000s. All genres were great in Mikes era and he was the clear number 1.

Drakes is basically the default because these male and female musicians suck across all genres now.

Keeping at it Drake, he came in with a built-in advantage. I said it before his peoples run the music business. He had a sprite commercial comparing him to Jay, Rakim, Big before his first album even dropped. They wanted him to be the guy and made sure he was pushed (no Drake fans I'm not saying he's a plant). So as far as his competition, he hasn't even been better than everybody else. What is he the best at? When has Drake had a classic album or AOTY? I guess he's the best at making hits and putting himself around the newest trends.

Every rapper we attach to a time period as the best it's a album that proved it. Nas, Jay, Pac, Snoop, etc.

Yes, they are discounted, and believe it or not, that sentiment is shared within certain factions of the fan community as well. These ridiculous topics still existing further drive the point home. The artists of the 80’s aren’t his peers, because he was an established artist from the late 60’s with a catalog. It’s not about “who’s better”. Everybody else was already in his rear view when Off the Wall dropped. Nobody was seeing him after 1982. Argumentative much? :lol:

Keeping at it Drake, he came in with a built-in advantage. I said it before his peoples run the music business. He had a sprite commercial comparing him to Jay, Rakim, Big before his first album even dropped. They wanted him to be the guy and made sure he was pushed (no Drake fans I'm not saying he's a plant). So as far as his competition, he hasn't even been better than everybody else. What is he the best at? When has Drake had a classic album or AOTY? I guess he's the best at making hits and putting himself around the newest trends.

Every rapper we attach to a time period as the best it's a album that proved it. Nas, Jay, Pac, Snoop, etc.
Drake was the hottest in the game after take care..there's no denying that

Back
Top Bottom