Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

this.gif

He's coming back soon, bigger than ever too (II)
If Thug walks he is going be be whatever he wants, he’ll be everywhere.

Not sure what you're getting at. YG has a ton of white fans, some hit records, and is present as far as a features or festival stages. Thats the ceiling for him though, and would've been the ceiling for Roddy Ricch. Thats not a bad thing. But, neither of them would've been at the commercial stardom level of a Travis Scott, Drake, Nicki Minaj, etc.
Nah fam Roddy was on track to be nearing the Uzi level of stardom.

Roddy had the likes of Justin Bieber begging his fans to stream his music so that he could Roddy out of the #1 spot which he held for months.

YG has certainly been successful but I don't the Biebers of the world are worried when he drops.

Roddy lost alot of his momentum with his last couple projects but his debut album alone has an 8x platinum single. YG is successful and has obviously had a much longer career than Roddy (thus he makes sense to book for a festival as he has more material to work with) but Roddy would have almost certainly surpassed him (YG) by now if his second and 3rd albums were better received.

Also I believe Roddy headlined a couple festivals. I don't know if YG can say the same.

Last edited:
Also, what are y’all basing the “potential rap superstar” conversation on? Because Roddy Rich didn’t make me a believer off “The Box”

Are y’all crowning these cats off ig snippets or something?

COVID killed Roddy's career.

I can't exactly put my finger on it but him peaking right when COVID hit was terrible luck.

Wasn't he a lot like Da Baby and had one style

No his following projects killed his career
And he’s a piece of 💩 person from what I’ve been told

Typical Crip 🤷🏽‍♂️

Wasn't it questioned how much of a crip he was and he became a rapper turned crip?

COVID killed Roddy's career.

I can't exactly put my finger on it but him peaking right when COVID hit was terrible luck.
I actually figured it helped him since it fit with his antisocial personality.

I could see him having a wider reach had he been able to perform at more festivals though.

Roddy sold 2.5M in the streaming era while people were locked down.

YG's best album by comparison sold 2.5M albums (My Krazy life) pre Apple music and streaming even being a real thing. Those numbers would almost certainly be lower in today's world.

I actually figured it helped him since it fit with his antisocial personality.

I could see him having a wider reach had he been able to perform at more festivals though.

Roddy sold 2.5M in the streaming era while people were locked down.

YG's best album by comparison sold 2.5M albums (My Krazy life) pre Apple music and streaming even being a real thing. Those numbers would almost certainly be lower in today's world.

It kept him from growing a fanbase. 2020 he should've been touring and performing, without a fanbase you're just an artist with a hot song that will be replaced once the new one comes out.

Young rappers constantly praise Meek
There was a short span in hip hop where meek was one of the most successful 'Gangsta' rappers. I remember Nicki alluding to it while they were dating so it wasn't that long ago.

Baby and Durk are still big names in rap currently and they both appear to look up to Meek (when he isn't on some crazy Twitter ****).

People be saying J. Cole boring but that's how I feel about Larry June. A couple of my homeboys love him though.
June fan checking in 😂

Wouldn’t say boring, but he def be rapping about some regular day type ish 😂

But I’d rather that than the 110 lb guy screaming he’s the toughest in the hood. One resonates way more than the other.

Nah fam Roddy was on track to be nearing the Uzi level of stardom.

Roddy had the likes of Justin Bieber begging his fans to stream his music so that he could Roddy out of the #1 spot which he held for months.

YG has certainly been successful but I don't the Biebers of the world are worried when he drops.

Roddy lost alot of his momentum with his last couple projects but his debut album alone has an 8x platinum single. YG is successful and has obviously had a much longer career than Roddy (thus he makes sense to book for a festival as he has more material to work with) but Roddy would have almost certainly surpassed him (YG) by now if his second and 3rd albums were better received.

Also I believe Roddy headlined a couple festivals. I don't know if YG can say the same.
What festivals was Roddy headlining? I'm genuinely curious.

The Box was a smash hit, but plenty of artists have smash hits that we know aren't gonna amount to rap super stardom, for many reasons. He didn't have the persona of a rap superstar. You could tell that when The Box had its run.

Hell, Old Town Road sold more records, and charted at number 1 longer to my knowledge. I don't think anyone was looking at Lil Nas X as the next big rap superstar. Of course that was for other reasons, but it holds the point that you can tell when some is destined for stardom beyond what how well they're selling.

Back
Top Bottom