Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Roddy didn't headline but he was one of the last 3 major acts. This is right after his first album despite the fact that he couldn't tour for most of 2020.

Obviously he could be lying but Roddy admitted to making 500k a show at his peak (this was during an interview on the Joe Budden Podcast). I doubt this was to be a traditional opener and to play 5 or so songs.

This was the only site I found with a good list of his previous tours.

You can kinda see they were grouping Roddy with some really big names. Even back in 2021 (Lalapalooza) the only person who looks to have performed after him was Tyler the Creator (who is one of the biggest names in rap both then and now).

As for the superstar thing I think the archetype has changed. Drake is damn near a create a player but his background doesn't exactly scream rap superstar. A lot of people found Cole boring for the first half of his career, it took more than GKMC for Kendrick to become what he is today. All I'm saying is there was a time when Roddy was in consideration (same as Chance).

EDIT: Forgot to add in the Lil Nas X comparison, Roddy subject matter is obviously way different. LNX caught a lick by making a song that appealed to children, so in some ways he used a hell of a cheat code but I don't even think his aim was ever to be taken serious.

Roddy was one of the last people to collaborate with Nip. I can only guess that he had some carryover success from that alone. When Roddy was on top I remember tons of comments about how Nip would've been so proud of him etc...
Right, so Roddy Ricch was never considered a headliner and was not going to be a rap superstar

Right, so Roddy Ricch was never considered a headliner and was not going to be a rap superstar
I think you kinda undermining where he was projected to be. The original comparison was to YG. He clearly was on track to be a bigger artist. He might've flamed out but I'm positive Roddy got looks (early on) that YG will never get.

Last edited:
Here you go

I think you kinda undermining his where he was projected to be. The original comparison was to YG. He clearly was on track to be a bigger artist. He might've flamed out but I'm positive Roddy got looks (early on) that YG will never get.
YG was doing shows with Drake, Big Sean, J Cole, Yo Gotti, etc. when he started blowing up. Much like Roddy he was the 3rd-to-last person on a festival stage. I'm not undermining where he was projected to be. If you don't like that comparison, cool, compare him to ASAP Ferg or Designer for all I care.

It don't change the fact that he was never going to be a Future, Drake, or Travis Scott.

YG was doing shows with Drake, Big Sean, J Cole, Yo Gotti, etc. when he started blowing up. Much like Roddy he was the 3rd-to-last person on a festival stage. I'm not undermining where he was projected to be. If you don't like that comparison, cool, compare him to ASAP Ferg or Designer for all I care.

It don't change the fact that he was never going to be a Future, Drake, or Travis Scott.

Predicting superstars is tricky, and most of the time we all will get it wrong no matter how much we like an artist.

In 2014 (right before Monster) most people wouldn't have expected Future to become Future, idk if anyone expected TS to become what he is until Astroworld. Drake is an anomaly so it's hard to compare.

All I'm saying is before the music fell off a cliff Roddy was one of the few young guys that appeared to have a shot at actually becoming one of raps next big artist. By no means am I disrespecting YG or what he's done but very few people have said that about him.

1000000975.gif

The pandemic killed Roddy career... That album was crazy and the box was the biggest song in the country yet dude couldn't capitalize off of it. I'm not even a fan per se but the guy was headed for superstardom. Anyone saying otherwise is just hating.

Drake's stans are doing more in this beef than he is... With fans like Drake's dude can never lose and not to mention his people run the industry. We can't blame anyone but ourselves though, we knew dude was a poser from the jump but gave him a pass because he made catchy records. By the time it was revealed he wasn't really the one behind those records, it was too late. We live in an era where popularity trumps all. Hip-hop heads will never respect MC Gusto but unfortunately that won't stop him from doing numbers.

Drake's stans are doing more in this beef than he is... With fans like Drake's dude can never lose and not to mention his people run the industry. We can't blame anyone but ourselves though, we knew dude was a poser from the jump but gave him a pass because he made catchy records. By the time it was revealed he wasn't really the one behind those records, it was too late. We live in an era where popularity trumps all. Hip-hop heads will never respect MC Gusto but unfortunately that won't stop him from doing numbers.
His fans have been embarrassing themselves as much as he has. They rationalized being pissed on, slapped, blackface, and even were making their own Pusha T diss tracks when they felt like Drake wasn’t doing enough. That fanbase is as bad as Nicki’s.

Nah Kendrick can take his time. His one verse on like that done started a war. The song is still doing numbers, let it cook. Drake and cole responded because they had to, you can’t escape hearing Like That, it’s everywhere. Future and Kendrick pulled a Drake and made a banger/diss that you can’t run from. Ross shouldn’t be going this hard but it looks like he has a different beef going on with Drake and now it’s gloves off since Drake finally gave him a reason to get at him.

Back
Top Bottom