Re-Retros Galore

Originally Posted by CharmCityKid

we're old now and JB already "has" us. so naturally they wanna "get" the newer generations. they know they can't design shoes anymore. jumpmans are just filler. they know all they have is retros. so they're obviously gonna stick with what they KNOW will sell. of course certain retros may NEVER retro bc that is one way to keep the older generations still interested in hopes of that one model/colorway that they never retroed will drop at some point.

i'm already hip to their tactics which is why i fell back so hard. i think most know the drill, but nike has it to where most of us don't care. we'll throw money at them no matter what. isn't it obvious they've figured this out??

i agree with OP tho.
why? I hate what JB is doing and that's why the last Jordan I bought was in 05. So is what you're saying is the "older" generation who knows what JB is doing still buys Jordans? Well of course some do, but I think a lot of the older generation have moved on from the line.
Remember the main consumer of Jordans are not collectors/ sneaker heads, instead they are people who DON'T know what's up with JB and that is the reason why JB has been able to get away with what they've been doing lately, also quality wise as well. They have discovered that this market is exploitable and they are taking full advantage. Now, how long will they be able to do this and release the same old crap? I don't know, but I think they won't be around much longer, I'll give them maybe until 2015 or 2016 before they finally topple and when that day comes, I won't be sad, I'll sit back and just laugh because they will have had it coming since they turned their back on the market that cared and instead went for the profit in the exploitable market.

besides the Xs im guessing the quality is going to be much better. for exampe the true blues that just released were nothing like the ones from the international release. the quality this time was very good.

I miss '01 retros.
Straight up. Nothing can compare. 

I wonder what it would ACTUALLY take for JB to go back to the good old days of high quality, high performance materials...

I don't care if the technology is "obsolete" or has been "improved upon". It was good enough for Mike to win 6 titles in...wasn't it?

I want to ball in retros because they inspire me a whole heck of a lot more than these new pieces of crap, and I want to do so without the toe-box getting chewed and flaky after the first run. Is that so much to ask? 

OGs would last FOREVER before showing signs of wear on that level. What happened?

Good read. I'll save this space for the perfect comment. For those real OG heads out there 
smokin.gif

THis has been a good discussion. Everyone has differing opinion, but it seems the overarching theme here is that all of us have contributed to Jordan Brand's success and failures in various ways. We put these shoes and the man himself on such a high pedestal for so many years, we worked hard to have these shoes as kids which set a standard for what it means to put these on your feet even today as a youngster or teenager. It's only natural that the brand has evolved into other avenues than those of us it first appealed to, by the very nature of our being evangelists for the brand.

The issues of quality need to be addressed, but if you look at 2011 as a whole, I think there have been some quality releases compared to same retros of years past (the 3's quality seems to have improved, the quality on the bordeauxs and the amazing banned 1 release are all reason to be positive about the future). Even the Air Jordan 2011 signature model was a huge step up in comparison to the past few. Looking at the 12's that are dropping it appears the quality will be as good or better than the last major retro in 2004!

So sure, the nostalgia has its pros and cons. It'd be nice if the premiere JB athletes were getting better designs that pushed forward from the AJ line we all know and love so much, but you have to be thankful that we have so many great memories and wonderful shoes wrapped up in this company's history!

Originally Posted by trappedintime

THis has been a good discussion. Everyone has differing opinion, but it seems the overarching theme here is that all of us have contributed to Jordan Brand's success and failures in various ways. We put these shoes and the man himself on such a high pedestal for so many years, we worked hard to have these shoes as kids which set a standard for what it means to put these on your feet even today as a youngster or teenager. It's only natural that the brand has evolved into other avenues than those of us it first appealed to, by the very nature of our being evangelists for the brand.

The issues of quality need to be addressed, but if you look at 2011 as a whole, I think there have been some quality releases compared to same retros of years past (the 3's quality seems to have improved, the quality on the bordeauxs and the amazing banned 1 release are all reason to be positive about the future). Even the Air Jordan 2011 signature model was a huge step up in comparison to the past few. Looking at the 12's that are dropping it appears the quality will be as good or better than the last major retro in 2004!

So sure, the nostalgia has its pros and cons. It'd be nice if the premiere JB athletes were getting better designs that pushed forward from the AJ line we all know and love so much, but you have to be thankful that we have so many great memories and wonderful shoes wrapped up in this company's history!
Much props, Cojp. Good looking out. 
You're right, trappedintime. I feel like NT has gotten a lot out of this thread, objectively speaking. I wish JB was tuning in, as I feel as if they could get a lot out of this, too. It's not just another chapter of the "Salty Old Heads vs. Reckless New Heads" saga. It's getting at the core of the issue: How to respect Nostalgia while still moving forward and making progress as a brand...which is a very fine balance to strike if you're a brand based on retro footwear. 

You're right, too, that it's ironic that the OG heads, through their passion and steadfast support of the brand as it grew, not only created, but fueled the hype machine that is JB today. I, too, am glad to see some improvement in the quality lately. The Bourdeauxs were very well made...I just wish they wouldn't have gone and created the Hares out of play doh and masking tape like they did in the countdown pack. JB has got to know that any change in material, color blocking, or over all feel is going to have an emotional effect on the ORIGINAL consumers. Sure, the average teen could care less about that kind of stuff, but when I saw the latest pictures of the Chicago X's...I felt a little funny inside. I mean...they were clean...but that red jump man on the back hit me hard. The original shoe meant a lot...and to see a red jump man and a checkered lining made me double-clutch. Call me crazy, and it's a dope shoe, but that's not the shoe I remember...

We can keep our hopes up, right, NT fam? JB could turn things around...

...right, JB?

Another thought I just had about the old days...
Wasn't it dope when you'd see the new J's in a TV show? Wasn't it great when you could catch Will Smith rocking the Grapes with a matching tracksuit and taking Isaiah Thomas one on one? Or see Jerry Seinfeld swing his feet up on his couch and all the sudden you're staring at a fresh pair of September Blue VI's? Or even just catching Eddy Winslow in a pair of '94 retro III's?

Oh, and who could forget the Fresh Prince finale when Will Smith's got a pair of Columbia XI's on with soles that are bluer than an iceberg?!

It all added up to brand mystique. 

Celebrities rock Jordans nowadays, but they're paid to do it. They rock fakes and "exclusives." They get bastardized IVs with their name stitched into them...or Spizikes in Marsian color ways. 

What ever happened to the days when you'd catch a fresh pair on WB...or ABC...or shoot, even Nickelodeon!

Anybody remember the dude from The Secret World of Alex Mack rocking Powder Blue IX's?

Those were the days. Air Jordans were a cultural statement, not just another zip-locked Beanie Baby...

Originally Posted by kingk777

You're right, too, that it's ironic that the OG heads, through their passion and steadfast support of the brand as it grew, not only created, but fueled the hype machine that is JB today.

JB has got to know that any change in material, color blocking, or over all feel is going to have an emotional effect on the ORIGINAL consumers. Sure, the average teen could care less about that kind of stuff.
JB doesn't care about the original consumers, they (and NIKE as a whole) only care about profit these days. And the way they'll maximize this is if they can find a market to exploit, which they have found and have been exploiting for quite some time now. This exploitable market, is the group of "KIDS (and adults)" that you mentioned that "don't care/ even know quality decline" or even what Chicago Xs are. JB HAS BEEN EXPLOITING THIS MARKET AND AS LONG AS THE MARKET KEEPS BUYING THE PRODUCT, JB HAS ABSOLUTELY NO INCENTIVE TO INCREASE QUALITY.

For this reason, I stopped buying Jordans back in 05. I'm actually surprised so many of the older heads still buy the product, BUT I do know that a lot of people have moved on and as we keep mentioning quality has declined, more and more of the "dumb kids" will find out.......BUT IMO, it's too late for a change to happen and there are too many of these apathetic and naive people getting "hooked" on Jordans to stop the problem.

JB is dead to me as well as many others and because they have lowered quality, have lost the ability to come up with new designs/ CWs and because they have continued to rely on retros for so long AND thus are seriously running out of CWs to "hook" future generations as well as the current generation of consumers on and that is why I can easily see JB ending its reign atop the sneaker world in a few years. (Others agree with me on this as well).
IMO Retros are the worst thing that could have happened to JB in terms of them sticking around and continuing to come with high quality and aesthetically appealing CWs.

THE ONLY WAY QUALITY WILL IMPROVE, IS IF YOU CAN STOP THE EXPLOITABLE MARKET (SOME OF WHOM ARE ON NT) FROM BUYING JB PRODUCTS, BUT SINCE THE MAJORITY OF THIS GROUP REALLY DOESN'T KNOW/ CARE ABOUT QUALITY THEY WILL JUST CONTINUE TO BUY AND THE QUALITY ISSUES MAY EVEN BECOME WORSE....because from JB's POV, if people will buy the shoes no matter what, then what reasoning do they have to increase quality and thus lose potential revenue? 

JB AND NIKE AS WHOLE HAVE NO INCENTIVE TO DO SUCH A THING IF THE STUFF WILL STILL SELL.....i'VE TRIED TO THINK OF WAYS TO GET JB TO WHAT IT ONCE WAS, BUT BECAUSE OF THE ABOVE REASON I'VE REALIZED THAT IT'S A LOST CAUSE....

I just don't understand why it was ok for shoes to retro in the early to mid 2000s, but suddenly it's too soon now. Half the shoes that get complained about had the same time between the og and first retro, as they do between the new one. People act like they have all these shoes in the archive that never dropped. What's left, a few 6s, some 10s and a couple 14s? Many of you are hypocrites. Why shouldn't the younger generation get to enjoy the same shoes you did?

Originally Posted by kingk777

I miss '01 retros.
Straight up. Nothing can compare. 

I wonder what it would ACTUALLY take for JB to go back to the good old days of high quality, high performance materials...

I don't care if the technology is "obsolete" or has been "improved upon". It was good enough for Mike to win 6 titles in...wasn't it?

I want to ball in retros because they inspire me a whole heck of a lot more than these new pieces of crap, and I want to do so without the toe-box getting chewed and flaky after the first run. Is that so much to ask? 

OGs would last FOREVER before showing signs of wear on that level. What happened?

This

I agree too many retros being re-done, but what can they do? Every other kick they release is #%+.

Originally Posted by dtb00201

I just don't understand why it was ok for shoes to retro in the early to mid 2000s, but suddenly it's too soon now. Half the shoes that get complained about had the same time between the og and first retro, as they do between the new one. People act like they have all these shoes in the archive that never dropped. What's left, a few 6s, some 10s and a couple 14s? Many of you are hypocrites. Why shouldn't the younger generation get to enjoy the same shoes you did?

I don't want to stop the younger generation from enjoying Jordans...it's just the way they "enjoy" them disgusts me. Dudes acting like they're so legit they've got to show up to the mall with ziplock bags on their feet over their kicks when it's raining out...dudes buying Jordans for the sole purpose of "stuntin'" and "flossin'"...dudes who run their parents credit cards up on every release just to be "that dude" in their freshman class. Is that what JB is about? I used to play ball in Jordans. I'd wear them off the court, too...but there was something sacred about bringing a pair of J's to the hardwood. You got a certain kind of lift beyond the technology and the impeccable quality...something in your heart. And that's all gone now because the sneakers that inspired the generation were turned into mini-mall conversation pieces...

It's like Elcerrito91 said:  JB HAS BEEN EXPLOITING THIS MARKET AND AS LONG AS THE MARKET KEEPS BUYING THE PRODUCT, JB HAS ABSOLUTELY NO INCENTIVE TO INCREASE QUALITY.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Why should JB make SNEAKERS anymore when they can make these flimsy plastic baseball cards that they call retro's nowadays? They make more money AND they sell more kicks off the Pokemon-card-like hype. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It's just kind of lame to me, you know? [/font]

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Where's the craftsmanship? Where's the legacy? It's gotta be the shoes...THE SHOES...not matching apparel and perfectly color-coated snapback and Nike elite socks that some kid copped at champs for 104.99$ just to say LOOK AT ME, LADIES...I'M FLY.[/font]

[/font]

Back in the day, if you had a pair of J's on...MAN, you could care less about all that noise.[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It's about the sneakers. And the sneakers are nowhere to be found...[/font]

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There's still hope for JB though. Nike Air, a return to quality, and perfect re-issues of shoes they've bastardized could reverse the damage. [/font]

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But who knows, guys...who knows?[/font]

Can you blame them though? Mike hasn't played in almost a decade. These aren't the days when you watch mike play and go into your backyard and copy his moves. Plus, why play basketball in an outdated shoe? I'm not arguing with you about quality, because I agree, but I don't care if they bring out the finest leather ever made, these shoes just don't compare to what players wear today technology wise. There's no valid reason for wearing a retro Jordan for actual basketball, other than to stunt for people.

I agree with kingk777!   I remember when the OG's use to sit on the shelves and now we buy them for "just because reasons"! I remember when we had to wait almost a year after Michael wore the shoe before they hit the market and that's what made the shoe great! That's king is saying gives us that feeling back on buying Air Jordans!!!

The reason why retros were more acceptable back then was because they didn't push the same models/ cws so frequently and also because their "new" models were still relatively good, not to mention quality on retros was still at an adequate level.

What's left, a few 6s, some 10s and a couple 14s? 
 exactly, that's my point, they have nothing left to retro and many many many people who I've talked to know this, I don't know where you got that "archive" comment from, but as long as you can see what I'm saying, then okay.
Why shouldn't the younger generation get to enjoy the same shoes you did?
they can, the shoes are still available...just at a price. Sure some are expensive, but nobody said collecting shoes was cheap though. People can't just be expected to be handed a shoe, they have to work for it and put in the time to get that shoe whatever it may be. JB has relied on retros so long, that they've practically killed the line, now they're paying for it (slightly with us getting mad at the changes/ passing on a lot of modles/ cws, but the "kids" are starting to "see" what's happening just not to the point where it is a serious issue...yet). I can easily see JB ending in a few years because of this lack of new cws and models to keep us (collectors) interested.

BUT, I do think that the average JB consumer (people who don't care about quality/ know anything about the past models) is starting to become tired of seeing the same old stuff from JB that's why I'm so confident in my theory that JB will topple soon. Plus think about it, if you went to a HS and asked someone what Chicago Xs were, they'd probably not be able to answer you. That is why Sport Blue VIs, would sit because these kids know nothing about the past cws. hELL, i'd even go as far to say that they wouldn't even know what XVIIs are. 

This goes back to my original point. Why was it okay for you, but not okay for people now? That's ridiculous to think people should have to work and shell out 3x the retail price to buy a sneaker. Who's parents besides Franalations would drop $300 to get a pair of 11s? Why should this generation get punished because they were born later than you? My nephew likes Jordan 11s and I bought him the cool greys last year. You're saying an 8 year old needs to do his research, make an ebay account and shell out probably $150 to find a pair of 3y concords that would probably take him 6 months to even find? Why should he have to do all of this if you never had to?

This goes back to my original point. Why was it okay for you, but not okay for people now? That's ridiculous to think people should have to work and shell out 3x the retail price to buy a sneaker. Who's parents besides Franalations would drop $300 to get a pair of 11s? Why should this generation get punished because they were born later than you? My nephew likes Jordan 11s and I bought him the cool greys last year. You're saying an 8 year old needs to do his research, make an ebay account and shell out probably $150 to find a pair of 3y concords that would probably take him 6 months to even find? Why should he have to do all of this if you never had to?
I'm 19 and I'm willing to accept shoes' market prices.... I do see what you're saying about your nephew and I feel for you, but I felt the same way when I was ten. I always saw kids with XVs and Black/ Cement IIIs and wanted them; I didn't have the money for them. I didn't complain about not having them, I just sucked it up and learned about JB's history/ past models as I got deeper and deeper into sneakers. (at least the shoes back then were worth their market price though, unlike now). There's no way I'd pay 250+ for Cool Greys or any post 03 Jordan for that matter besides DMPs. 
So what I'm saying is sure a person may want a shoe now, but is he or she really going to regret not buying/ obtaining a shoe when they are as young as your nephew? Believe me, there were a lot of shoes that I wished that had when I was 8, but my tastes changed and now I really am glad that I didn't have parents who were nice enough to buy them for me. (at the same time, there certainly are some shoes that I wanted back then, that I do regret not getting, but that was a different time in terms of sneakers). Sometimes not spoiling your kids is better than giving them something that they will grow out of in a few months or may not even like when they get older, you know what I mean? 

*Cool Greys are fine to retro, anything retroed 10+ years, I'm fine with (I'm sure many would agree), but due to quality, I still won't cop. It's the shoes that retro 8 or less years after their initial drop that get to me and which make me say "really, it's too soon." By releasing things too frequently, it kills the anticipation, why do you think the hype on Concords is so high and for say TB IIIs, it wasn't nearly at that level? (there are many answers to this question, but my point is that the time in between retros does make a difference in terms of demand/ shock value).

JB basically releases the same stuff year in and year out. Military IVs next year (Same reaction to black Vs with 23), when they just retroed in 06, come on, that's way too soon. Even Last Shot XIVs, were too soon imo (Those were my last Jordan). 

The one that really struck me hard was the Altitude Green XIIIs, I would have never said that those would have retroed. The fact that those were retroed, basically implies that nothing is off limits. Why make something limited if it is just subject to a potential retro later on?

The current JB and the 03 JB are two different brands to me, their mindset was different. At least back then, they succeeded in making somewhat decent "new" CWs on past models, unlike now. And, quality was still good, unlike now. This is one reason why I'm somewhat okay with those retros and not these, but again the fact remains that JB is now out of ideas.

Why wasn't the first last shot retro too soon though? The same amount of time had passed between the prior release.

Why wasn't the first last shot retro too soon though? The same amount of time had passed between the prior release.

I never said it wasn't, the reason I bought those was for sentimental reasons, plus I was kind of naive to JB and Nike's tricks (right after that I learned though), but those retroing shocked me less than say the XVI or more recent retros as well as the ones I mentioned above, did.
Do you see what else I'm saying on everything else though?

i like the fact that they re retro. sometimes i miss out on a shoe ive wanted and its good to have a chance to get it again. ive been collecting jordans since 96. i missed out on the og v metalics and the last 2 retros of that shoe. now that it has re retroed again, im very happy to finally get a pair. i dont care that steel x are retoing again after retroing in 05. my 05 pair is beat and id like to get a new pair. i dont want to take chances buying a new pair from 05 when im not sure how they were stored especially when i usually get a ds pair. im happy for the re retro

I think the retro'ing thing is being really overdone in this thread. For example, the 3's. First re-retro'd in 1994 to piss poor sales. SIX years after they were originally released. Even in '94, when MJ retired, Nike was trying to push the retros to capitalize off his and the sneakers name and fame. So you have '94, '01, and '11 (we'll leave the CDP and TB '09s out of it for the sake of full GR US releases). You have other models such as the black/white IX that have retro'd more often, but the bottom line is that even during the brand's prime, they were issuing retros every 6-7 years, occasionally an exception here or there. Little has changed in that regard, nor will it probably. I would imagine 3's won't see another retro until 2016-2017. There are also numerous retros way overdue. I remember getting my first pair of I's in '94, and they still haven't retro'd them since that initial release. Those are still my grails!

Say what you will about the quality, but it's not THAT bad. The XIV's are even a great example in which the retros are higher quality than the OG's. The foam teeth fell apart and came unglued so quickly, as did the rubber on the soles. Just a poorly done shoe (great design though). Do some people realize that even the 3's had minimal ankle padding in the OGs and '94 retros? Like none at all. They weren't comfortable. I love wearing my '11 WC3's because they have plenty of ankle padding and are quite comfortable to wear.

Sure, there are some minor design changes to retros from OGs that are well discussed and could be done without, and certain models have been of inferior quality (see: entire CDP line). But I personally don't believe the quality is all that much worse than it ever was. Depending on the model and factory run it came from, you could get some pretty weak OGs that didn't hold up. All of that said, my retros are holding up pretty well, and I feel 2011's releases have all been acceptable if not better.

Just out of curiosity, if you are someone who hasn't purchased any Jordans for 5-7 years, why do you still frequent this forum and care so much? I'm not trying to sound rude, I'm just curious. There are a few music message boards I frequent where people just bash the band or talk about how good their shows were 10 or 15 years ago. I don't understand why it's that important to people if they are over it and no longer participating in it. Seems like a waste of energy to just complain about that the product isn't what it once was. Time marches on, nothing stays the same.

Can you blame them though? Mike hasn't played in almost a decade. These aren't the days when you watch mike play and go into your backyard and copy his moves. Plus, why play basketball in an outdated shoe? I'm not arguing with you about quality, because I agree, but I don't care if they bring out the finest leather ever made, these shoes just don't compare to what players wear today technology wise. There's no valid reason for wearing a retro Jordan for actual basketball, other than to stunt for people.

why doesn't da younger generation "stunt" this era's nikes though....because ya still jockin what us older heads established as dope.

without us olderheads basically TELLIN ya whats hot and whats not, ya wouldn't even know.

Originally Posted by trappedintime

I think the retro'ing thing is being really overdone in this thread. For example, the 3's. First re-retro'd in 1994 to piss poor sales. SIX years after they were originally released. Even in '94, when MJ retired, Nike was trying to push the retros to capitalize off his and the sneakers name and fame. So you have '94, '01, and '11 (we'll leave the CDP and TB '09s out of it for the sake of full GR US releases). You have other models such as the black/white IX that have retro'd more often, but the bottom line is that even during the brand's prime, they were issuing retros every 6-7 years, occasionally an exception here or there. Little has changed in that regard, nor will it probably. I would imagine 3's won't see another retro until 2016-2017. There are also numerous retros way overdue. I remember getting my first pair of I's in '94, and they still haven't retro'd them since that initial release. Those are still my grails!

Say what you will about the quality, but it's not THAT bad. The XIV's are even a great example in which the retros are higher quality than the OG's. The foam teeth fell apart and came unglued so quickly, as did the rubber on the soles. Just a poorly done shoe (great design though). Do some people realize that even the 3's had minimal ankle padding in the OGs and '94 retros? Like none at all. They weren't comfortable. I love wearing my '11 WC3's because they have plenty of ankle padding and are quite comfortable to wear.

Sure, there are some minor design changes to retros from OGs that are well discussed and could be done without, and certain models have been of inferior quality (see: entire CDP line). But I personally don't believe the quality is all that much worse than it ever was. Depending on the model and factory run it came from, you could get some pretty weak OGs that didn't hold up. All of that said, my retros are holding up pretty well, and I feel 2011's releases have all been acceptable if not better.

Just out of curiosity, if you are someone who hasn't purchased any Jordans for 5-7 years, why do you still frequent this forum and care so much? I'm not trying to sound rude, I'm just curious. There are a few music message boards I frequent where people just bash the band or talk about how good their shows were 10 or 15 years ago. I don't understand why it's that important to people if they are over it and no longer participating in it. Seems like a waste of energy to just complain about that the product isn't what it once was. Time marches on, nothing stays the same.
each sentence is a response to what I highlighted
1. If JB lasts that long...they have no real reason to retro any IIIs that soon anyhow, maybe at their rate the fire red IIIs, but I don't see that

2. True, but they did re-retro the black and red 94 Is numerous times

3. People (respected members on NT/ other forums) still complain about quality.

And to answer your question about why I still care, honestly it's just to try and inform people as to what JB/Nike is doing in the hope that one day many people will be educated on the issues and will take their complaints to Nike/ JB and change will happen, BUT even I don't see that ever happening. I still check to see what's coming out and just to remain "in contact" with the line, because I don't want to move on even though I probably will never buy another Jordan again. I don't want to be disconnected from the line and come back in ten years and not know what came out or what happened with the line/ the sneaker culture in general.

ninja- you're right, people are sheep and do what they're told/ follow what they're shown by the majority as to what is "cool"....I think its more than sneaker heads who built up JB to what is now in the inner cities/ suburbs, I think it's just having Mike wear the shoes and him being such an influential player that made the shoes so iconic and thus popular or "cool". BUT I'm not saying sneaker heads didn't play a role in the modern era of JB (00-now). 

I found out about Jordans just from seeing normal people wearing them, not specifically collectors. And I think, at least where I'm from (bay area), my friends did the same as well as from older brothers as well as the media/ musical artists.

Back
Top Bottom