repaying student loan vol. how much do you owe?

Originally Posted by SupremeApe

Originally Posted by PetePeteO

$210,000. Seriously, no joke. Grad school is no fun.

Man that hurts

What u in school for

Yikes.  I just finished year 1 of law school which will put me back $30,000 by the time I'm done.  Luckily my parents are willing to put up with my crap and have helped with the rest.  I went to a public instate undergrad so my tuition wasn't too high, but now I'm at a private law school and when you see that tuition statement roll around it's one of the most shocking things that a broke student can see
eek.gif
.  I have a bunch of good friends going the med school route and they take out upwards of $50,000 per year.  200K by the time they are done with school, then who knows what during residency.  You would think that they would start to get somewhat of a paycheck seeing as they are an M.D., but depending on what you choose to do, it would be 4-5 more years until you actually have some money lying around to start paying off the loans.

Going to school forever doesn't sound all that bad
laugh.gif

One thing that I have been seriously considering is going to DC and working for the Federal Government.  I forget the exact length of time... I want to say 5 years? but if you work with a government agency you can get your loans entirely paid off.

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

PetePeteO wrote:

10msa5g.jpg

damn fam good luck.

i have 0 debt btw

why do people associate large debt with bad luck?
If getting a degree will better your lively hood with jobs, network and learning... Hell.. I want a lot of debt then. 

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

PetePeteO wrote:

10msa5g.jpg

damn fam good luck.

i have 0 debt btw
why do people associate large debt with bad luck?
If getting a degree will better your lively hood with jobs, network and learning... Hell.. I want a lot of debt then. 

I want to agree with you. So badly... but that isn't always the case with a degree.

College loans are actually one of the worst types of debt to get into. For extreme cases, there's no escaping it... not even through bankruptcy. They are a tool, and need to be planned for and used properly.

I'm in debate about graduate school right now. I'm not sure about taking on the risk of not finding a job by the time I get out, despite having an MBA when I finish. I don't owe any substantial loans (~5k on a car note that I plan on finishing this year) and I'm not sure I'd get my returns with a Grad degree at this time.

i took at $3K in loans so i could cop rims and do fly stuff to my whip..

tint... radio... etc...

smh....

i might finish school w/ about 9K, though...

Originally Posted by presequel

graduated in summer of 2006, with about 90k in loans

ive got 1k left

pimp.gif

How did you get it down to 1K that quick?

I owe $11,700 on mine. I should be finished paying this in 1-2 years. What's set me back on making good payments was that I got laid off.

45k+interest after 2 years. Glad I transferred to a public university this year, but I'm already hella stressed/nervous about this debt.

Still sticking to my plan A, which is hit the lottery by age 25.

Originally Posted by presequel

graduated in summer of 2006, with about 90k in loans

ive got 1k left

pimp.gif

How did you get it down to 1K that quick?

I owe $11,700 on mine. I should be finished paying this in 1-2 years. What's set me back on making good payments was that I got laid off.

$100k right now. Will probably take me another 10 years to pay off.

owed $140k after graduating law school.

I don't have any debt because I have several scholarships and my mom pays the difference, if there is any. But tuition at my school is like $1,600 a semester.

Either way, I don't really care about college debt. If you do college well, you should be able to make a lot of money after. I'm an accounting and finance double major so I can expect around $45k - 50k fresh out of school so any kind of debt would be paid off pretty quickly. Can someone explain why college debt is so frowned upon?

60k... payed off 5k so far since starting work in july... hopefully will be able to pay off more after my bonus..

graduated in 2000 with $48,000 in loans.

paid it off in 9 years (ahead of the 10 year schedule).

now where's my BMW?

Back
Top Bottom