Resume Tips: I Need Them vol. Help Me Land a Better Career

My linkedin page is bare minimum, I only have my picture, list my education, and past jobs, nothing else, no skills, no description of past jobs, nothing, yet recruiters keep reaching out to me all day. I don't know if that is a good thing either, :lol:

Whatever you do, PLEASE DO NOT say you're proficient in Microsoft Office. I can't tell you how many resumes I've reviewed where people say that. In addition, state accomplishments and how they helped improve the company not the tasks you did. (I stocked shelved, I was at my desk everyday on time, I didn't steel anything from the company, I did what my supervisor asked)

"I led xxxx project that increased revenue xx%"

"I helped implement xxxx program that increased team moral"

"I was given a promotion after xx months due to xxx efforts"

"I was transferred to xxx department to help improve xxx system after my supervisor observed my ambitious nature"

You get the idea. It's not about your credentials so much as it is about how you can help improve their company when they bring you in.

Also see how you can fit into the company culture.

Maybe the best thing you can do is start researching companies in a field you're interested in and proactively contacting them. Tell them you've researched them and would love to work for them. You know there are no positions currently, but once one becomes available you would love to be considered. That shows initiative and you might be able to land a new job without any competition. Submitting your application to places like Moster will only let you down since there are at least 20 other people applying for that same job and hiring managers are always looking for easy ways to weed people out whether they're qualified or not.

Last edited:
Non Gmail email addresses are regarded as unprofessional.

A cover letter doesn't do much to help, but not having one / having a bad one hurts.

Here's the template I use --
PLEASE don't list that many companies. List 10 years max and only elaborate on the relevant industries. If you have that many listed, or have been at more than 1 for less than 2 years each then I'm probably passing on you unless it was for a really good reason like a raise or family issue.

Maybe the best thing you can do is start researching companies in a field you're interested in and proactively contacting them. Tell them you've researched them and would love to work for them. You know there are no positions currently, but once one becomes available you would love to be considered. That shows initiative and you might be able to land a new job without any competition. Submitting your application to places like Moster will only let you down since there are at least 20 other people applying for that same job and hiring managers are always looking for easy ways to weed people out whether they're qualified or not.
HR phone number?

Quote:

HR phone number?
Yes, if you can find it, or just call the number listed online and ask for someone in HR or the department you're looking at.

Pick up the book 48 Days To The Work you Love . It has some great tips in there for getting a good job you actually want.

Last edited:

I disagree..I highly doubt my resume is being overlooked for the fact that my yahoo account is listed

I have a gmail account..but my yahoo acct is what I use primarily

I'm updating my resume now, this thread has been very helpful for me. I now realize I put a lot of stuff on there that didn't need to be there

Any resume tips on switching careers? 

List all of your experience as you normally would..and if you are able to land an interview..be prepared to explain why you are looking to do something different..

You can go into detail of how your previous experiences could be applied to a new position

PLEASE don't list that many companies. List 10 years max and only elaborate on the relevant industries. If you have that many listed, or have been at more than 1 for less than 2 years each then I'm probably passing on you unless it was for a really good reason like a raise or family issue.
I hear you on that but I've had managers ask me about certain gaps on employment because I left out places I worked because it wasn't relevant to the industry. Just leads up to an awkward conversation

I hear you on that but I've had managers ask me about certain gaps on employment because I left out places I worked because it wasn't relevant to the industry. Just leads up to an awkward conversation

List all of your employers

I didn't mean leave gaps, but at least don't fill up the page with: took orders from customers at lunchtime

for those jobs. Just list the company and dates and move on.

It also looks really bad to me when I see resumes or LinkedIn pages where someone has had 5 different jobs in 6-7 years. Maybe it's just me, but you can't possibly learn to be competent at a job if you're only sticking around 1-2 years at companies. I would have to plan on you doing the same at our company too.

I disagree..I highly doubt my resume is being overlooked for the fact that my yahoo account is listed

I have a gmail account..but my yahoo acct is what I use primarily
You'd be surprised. I've seen it and honestly if someone came at me with a non Gmail or edu email address in 2016 for something serious and is under 30 I'm already looking at them funny.

Last edited:
You'd be surprised. I've seen it and honestly if someone came at me with a non Gmail or edu email address in 2016 for something serious and is under 30 I'm already looking at them funny.
What if they have my.name@mywebsite.com? :pimp:

In all seriousness, it depends on your field. If you're in a traditional role i.e. Engineer, Accounting, etc then you probably wouldn't have your own site.

But if you're in a creative field and have a portfolio of your own and your own site, you're way ahead of the game. You can link up Analytics and see if they even visit your site.

I did this route when I wanted to venture into fashion since I had no experience in the field, but had networked my way in.

Gmail has become the unanimous acceptance of professional email account sans yourowncompany.com

I don't know what's up with Yahoo. I only use them since my PayPal is hooked up since the early 2000s. UX/UI is horrible. App is horrible.

I didn't mean leave gaps, but at least don't fill up the page with: took orders from customers at lunchtime

It also looks really bad to me when I see resumes or LinkedIn pages where someone has had 5 different jobs in 6-7 years. Maybe it's just me, but you can't possibly learn to be competent at a job if you're only sticking around 1-2 years at companies. I would have to plan on you doing the same at our company too.
Old rule.

Have you seen the tech field? Turnover rate is crazy. They get offers almost weekly. New start ups want them. Co founders want them. Established companies want them.

I entered the job market in 2009-10. I'm on my 5th employer right now. I wasn't even looking for the job, recruiter found me on LinkedIn. I meshed well with the company and took the job offer after negotiation.

First job = 15 months.
Second job = almost 3 years. Loved this place. Manager was a big sister figure to me. I left because I got bored and had big goals. I can't see myself being in the same place all my career. That scared the hell out of me.
Third job = 6 months flat. The added hours and pay raise did not compute. Company was expanding too fast and company restructuring was coming. I trusted my gut instinct and left. The company ended up laying 100s of management positions later on.
Fourth job = 1 year. I thought this was going to be my final corporate job before I do my biz full time until I got hit up by the recruiter for fifth job.
Fifth job = 3 months. Still here. Had interview with manager at a local brunch place by his house. Both for lit from mirsosa.

I know this is a resume thread but you guys need to read these two books:

Magic of Thinking Big and Lynchpin.

I'm a big reader and those two books changed my life. Think big. Execute your goals. Don't become a cog at your office working 8-5 while spending 5 hours on NT. Become an indispensable worker. Jobs will come to you.

Old rule.

Have you seen the tech field? Turnover rate is crazy. They get offers almost weekly. New start ups want them. Co founders want them. Established companies want them.

I entered the job market in 2009-10. I'm on my 5th employer right now. I wasn't even looking for the job, recruiter found me on LinkedIn. I meshed well with the company and took the job offer after negotiation.

First job = 15 months.
Second job = almost 3 years. Loved this place. Manager was a big sister figure to me. I left because I got bored and had big goals. I can't see myself being in the same place all my career. That scared the hell out of me.
Third job = 6 months flat. The added hours and pay raise did not compute. Company was expanding too fast and company restructuring was coming. I trusted my gut instinct and left. The company ended up laying 100s of management positions later on.
Fourth job = 1 year. I thought this was going to be my final corporate job before I do my biz full time until I got hit up by the recruiter for fifth job.
Fifth job = 3 months. Still here. Had interview with manager at a local brunch place by his house. Both for lit from mirsosa.

I know this is a resume thread but you guys need to read these two books:

Magic of Thinking Big and Lynchpin.

I'm a big reader and those two books changed my life. Think big. Execute your goals. Don't become a cog at your office working 8-5 while spending 5 hours on NT. Become an indispensable worker. Jobs will come to you.
Tech field and startups are a completely different ballgame from the rest of the business world.

My career follows a similar pattern of your third job. EVERY job I've had, my direct manager has been fired within 6 months of me leaving. The exception was my last long term company. I had a great boss, but the company folded after 1 year. I was at another temp job for 1 month, then was fired for performance. The company was disbarred from the state bar several months after I left (which I was hoping for all along.

Back
Top Bottom