Rockdeep Interviewed By "V"

the 7 people who still read the Nike forum know it was BP being referred to. just hope we get dibs on his designs first.

^ yeah, I specifically 'reminded' BP not to forget about us fools here on NT when he makes it big
laugh.gif

NT exclusives, NT member-specific colorways, that sorta stuff...
wink.gif

BP has probably been one of the most humble dudes I have ever worked with or met within the Footwear Industry, other than Ken Link, Dwayne Edwards and JasonMayden.

He's always willing to learn more and can take ANY concept I describe verbally or within a Design Narrative and bring it to life. Whether I am involved ornot, I know he will be doing big things soon enough somewhere.

If it's not at Nike it will ONLY be their lose and someone else's gain. Imagine BP's work on the Footwear of an up and coming Footwear Company whois willing to take leaps of faith and draw in the right athletes with stuff they really want to wear and it DOESN"T have a Swoosh on it.

As his Initials say... Its BEYOND POSSIBLE.

Originally Posted by RockDeep

BP has probably been one of the most humble dudes I have ever worked with or met within the Footwear Industry, other than Ken Link, Dwayne Edwards and Jason Mayden.

He's always willing to learn more and can take ANY concept I describe verbally or within a Design Narrative and bring it to life. Whether I am involved or not, I know he will be doing big things soon enough somewhere.

If it's not at Nike it will ONLY be their lose and someone else's gain. Imagine BP's work on the Footwear of an up and coming Footwear Company who is willing to take leaps of faith and draw in the right athletes with stuff they really want to wear and it DOESN"T have a Swoosh on it.

As his Initials say... Its BEYOND POSSIBLE.
Li Ning and PEAK are taking notes right now
laugh.gif

Thought I'd help Vulkan out and post it in Live color.. Thanks again sir.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_O...k/s1600/forums_main.jpg); WIDTH: 600px; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat; HEIGHT: 97px">
[h1] THE KRUSADER[/h1]

Life, Kicks,Culture, and V.

[h2]Wednesday, October 15, 2008[/h2]
http:// [h3]INTERVIEW: ROCK DEEP "PLANET ROCK"[/h3]

Interview by. Vulkan the Krusader

I wanted to interview the man behind the name and the drama. So I decided to contact Rock to speak his mind on numerous topics. He is a enigma to most of us, but this interview should shed some light to the name. Rockdeep has been a staple at Niketalk for years and his affiliations with many Nike projects. Here now on the Krusader is live and uncut...Ladies and Gentleman, I give you Rockdeep.

Vulkan: Where did the name rock deep come from?

Rockdeep: I use to play Football in High School and College and since I was mostly a Possession Receiver and I wasn't known for the deep ball... the irony of my name being Rocky....and not being able to go Deep was set...

At least thats what I tell people. Since this is for a Sneaker Article.. I can't tell the real reason!! lol

Vulkan: What was your career choice before your current career status?

Rockdeep: Well I have always remained in the Same Career basically since leaving the Government after College. I was always into Marketing and Creative Creations. Back in High School I won the Business of the Year Award, for putting together a Business that involved Basically what is Mall of America in Minnesota today.

Me and my Classmate/Business PArtner Brandon Tarpley thought what if we could go to a Mall which had more than just Clothes stores. At the time in our Area, we had a pretty Poo Poo Mall so we traveled across the Bridge to Virginia ( I lived in Maryland at the time) and hung out at Springfield Mall. But all you could do is hang in the food Court or outside a store.

So we came up with a Concept to have an Indoor Go Cart Track, Putt Putt Course, Dodge Ball and Kickball Field as well as a Food Court where guys could meet girls. There would be more than just your usual mickey D's or Popeyes.. There would be Mom and Pop Restaurants where Parents wouldn't mind their kids eating at because it wasn't really Fast Food.

There was a lot more to it, but that was the jist of it. We won and it was at that point, I knew I wanted to get into Marketing and Branding.

Vulkan: What do you do in your off time when not working?

Rockdeep: Well I used to Co -Own and play Minor League Football for a Team Called the Virginia Monarchs in the Northern Virginia Area, and my family grew, so I couldn't put as much time into preparing to play so I now Coach, but no longer own the team.

I also spend alot of time with my family. I have two girls and two boys. My Boys are pretty E-Famous within the Sneaker World already...from being seen in one of the Sneaker Magazines with their Melo Collection behind them.

My two girls are pretty laced with kicks as well, and my 2 1/2 year old loves kicks about as much as my youngest son. My Oldest Son never really got into kicks, and always had kids asking where he got certain stuff, but he just shrugged it off, as his little brother would speak on it for the both of them.

They are my prides and joy. I wouldn't trade them in or the experience of being a Daddy for anything.

Vulkan: What shoes in your closet hold a special meaning or sentiment?

Rockdeep: I can't say any hold special Sentiments, as I never lost my virginity in a Pair of Nikes or Jays, nor do I remember what I was wearing when any of my kids were born, unless I look at pics...

But I do remember the Jordans I first fell in love with but could never afford until they Retro'd them some years back, and that is the Jordan II White/Red/Black. There is a pretty extensive Article in a Sneaker Magazine I wrote about which was a tribute to the 20 Years of Jordans and I have to say that was one of my best pieces of work...lol

Vulkan: Can you name people in your life that are people you admire?

Rockdeep: Man that list could go on forever, but I will split that up professionally and personally.

Personally it would be my parents first and foremost, because growing up with 4 sisters and a brother I didn't have much at all. Name Brands Not AT ALL.. .lol.. but they made it work. Sure I took a bashing at school for wearing Bo Bo's and didn't realize back then what they were doing for us, but having gotten older, I do realize they did what they could for us and made me realize I didn't want to struggle in life and have the best for my own kids.

Professionally there are two guys at Jordan I respect more than anyone else in the Footwear Industry. I won't mention them by names, but they know who they are and they basically believed in me and gave me as much insight into the industry when most people want you to follow a path and not care to share ANYTHING or knowledge because the Footwear Industry IS and ALWAYS will be a Cut throat industry.

One of the guys is ten years younger than me and one of them slightly older, but they both have thrived in their positions regardless of the criticism, regardless of the big bad company trying to tell them what they can't do, and when things got dicey for me. They knew above anything else said that I was on the right side of things and checked on me and always made sure I was ok.

Not many others who 'say' they are your friend or your boy did that or will do that. You always find out in the face of adversity who your real friends are. We can talk about life in general and Sneakers never ever even come up. So in retrospect, I guess they are who I admire Professionally and Personally because I regard them as friends too.

Vulkan: Whats new at jordan brand can you give us some insight?

Rockdeep: I couldn't. Other than Mark Smith is that dude. I think he has been a welcome addition to the Jordan Category. What many people don't understand is they Blame Gentry for SOOO much, and then others say MJ should be blamed for what is releasing. BUT, those two are only a part of the equation. Gentry has since moved on to the International Side of the house and I'm sure will be doing big things for Europeans... but Mark Smith will bring a Dynamic to Jordan Brand that I think will benefit the Brand and the Consumer.

The Designer I believe have been held back for YEARS because of holding on to the Legacy of Jordan. Some folks detest Team Shoes, but Jordan the Brand had to evolve. You can't live off Jordan I - XX3 forever.

I believe a story about the Athletes of Jordan Brand can be told thru the Team Line but the Team Line has had too much DNA from past Signature Jordan Shoes... so the folks from my Era may not like it because it seems to gimmicky, but the kids of today, don't have their own identity to hold on to. I believe with Mark as Creative Director, he will let the Designers actually use their talents to tell Design Inspired Stories instead of Marketing Inspired Stories.

Again. I could go on for days... but there are people who trust me NOT to share new info, which I would only do with proper permission.

Vulkan: Can you pinpoint your proudest moment in your life?

Rockdeep: Personally my proudest Moments have come through obviously the birth of my kids (if the wifey reads this), but moreso when they are old enough to call me Daddy or watch my kids play sports and do well. Both my sons are athletic and that would make ANY Father proud, but to see that both of my daughters are active and like to watch sports with me is also a great feeling.

Professionally. The prodest moment and this may sound weird is sitting in a meeting at a Company you have revered most of your life that is one of the biggest Footwear Giants in the world and hearing an idea of YOURS actually STOLEN with no credit given to you and actually put into place. EVEN if its not executed the way I would have done it. Just to know you had an idea folks would think enough of to use as their own and Market to the World. Idea Theft is the Biggest Form of Flattery in the Marketing World. lol

For all those in the Footwear world looking to get into this business as either a designer OR Product Line Manager, I would suggest you keep copies of EVERYTHING you send people and all emails and such you get back. It worked for me. Keep your Portfolio tight and Tag everything you do and whatever you can Trademark or Copyright. Do so.

Vulkan:What would be some things you would change in Nike Basketball in your opinion?

Rockdeep: WOW. Where do I start?

First I would let several young designers who are there just let loose. Don't give them Marketing Direction. Don't let even entertain using DNA from any other era, just let them design and not scale back. As I mentioned before, it would bring Nike Basketball back into relevance in the Footwear Industry where Performance Footwear is struggling across the board, but Nike Basketball has the Machine of Nike Marketing behind them.

However, with many of the products that have released over the years, I would go as far as to say not even Mike Marketing can help those Products.

With Kobe's line I would take advantage of the Olympics where obviously he has taken over as the #1 Athlete in their eyes. I would do more cutting edge Releases with his line. Their Gorilla Marketing has been working with the Hyperdunk line but THAT isn't a Kobe signature Product.. just a product Kobe endorsed. Those types of things need to be done with HIS line and give the reigns to a few guys over there to give Kobe something that speaks to Kobes Talents Persona and works at Retail.

One of those three things just doesn't equate to sales at the register. We are in a recession and this goes for Nike Basketball overall, but they need to scale back the Price Points of most of their Performance Footwear, which I suggested some years back and they begain to do with the Zoom BB line. Lebrons line is a line which being the Flagship Face of the Brand Product should SCREAM Innovatoin and Design Beauty.. and for the most part in the past Ken Link has done a GREAT job with that.

However, alot may have been on Kens plate and the Lebron V and VI may have suffered from it. I know he has a great crew over there working to make the line what it should be, but I just think they need more dedicated resources for a player they are paying large sums of money to Push their Brand to the next level.

I believe the House of Hoops is a Flawed idea, which was a great concept but the execution is so piss poor, that with you having Energy Releases of Hard to find Exclusive shoes, the Resellers are making more than the company on every release. Now I know helping the economy is a good thing, but that makes no sense at all, especially when the Retail Releases are doing very poor.

There is alot to that on the business side which I won't get into that is killing the Lebron line, but I think Ken can do some great things there and bring it back to where it once was without having certain powers that be influence or pressure his design talents.

But I've said enough already! lol

Vulkan: Any current projects you are working on you want us to know about?

Rockdeep: Yes.. but no.. lol. I wouldn't want anyone other than those who are REALLY close to me getting the scoop, because with this being a cut throat business there is alot of jealousy out there. Just know I am working with one of NT's Greatest on a few projects and it involves names already mentioned here and other Brands as well. I may not live in Beaverton anymore, but I will be remembered for a long time.

Vulkan: What message do you have for the Sneaker community?

Rockdeep: Wear your shoes. Shoes are not Cars. They are not Homes. They all have personal value and personal Value lasts longer than the actual shoes. For those buying three and four pairs to save for 10 years and resell, beware, because your shoes will be worth nothing other than the personal Value you may have had for them.

For those wanting to get into the Footwear Industry. Weather it be a Designer, a Color Designer or a Product Line Manager. Choose your friends and mentors carefully. Don't share your ideas with anyone who will listen. Pick and choose who you share your ideas with because although you may love a company to death and finally made it to your dream job, its not always cookies and cream. There are others who will do ANYTHING to undercut you and hold you back and you won't even know its going on.

There is jealousy and hate when all you want to do is carry out the one thing you have always wanted to do. Network as much as possible, because its about WHO you know as much as it is WHAT you can do or WHAT you know most times. Bad things happen to good people and many times good things happen to those who don't deserve it.

Above all else, if its what you want to do have your eyes open and JUST DO IT. I did and I don't regret a thing.

Posted by Vulkan The Krusader

V.. you can cut and paste what I put up on the front page and I will take it down from here if that helps you out sir.

Just to clarify...

BP is in fact the person I was speaking of and for whatever reason I thought I mentioned that but I guess I didn't. But who else. He is my main man.

As for dodging an issue. Vulkan didn't bring any issues TO me. He only asked softball questions which I ran with (correct me if Im wrong V) So rehashing anything thru the article wasn't the intent, as I have moved on from that.

If anyone didn't find clarification in ALL the crap that was said on NT, then I'm sorry for them. I have moved on from that and have agreed to not speak on "certain" things via a settlement. My intent was to only shed light on those aspiring to get into certain fields within the Footwear Industry. I didn't do it further bring attention to my past situation.

Thanks to everyone who enjoyed the read, and Thanks to Vulkan for the interview. I think we will be doin a Part Deaux at some point in the future. I wish Vulkan nothing but success in what he does.
Yeah, I wasn't saying that you dodged the issue, I was talking about the guy asking the questions. But it was a good read and a good insightinto the family side as well as the business side of you. Best of luck to you bro!

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

Hey Rock, can you post the drawing of you? I forget who did that. But can you post it?
Done by a Designer in Brand Jordan. years before he went to AND1 and then to Brand Jordan.
I think I paid about a $1000 for this one and 4 or 5 bills for the one of my sons. Good stuff.

Yeah, I wasn't saying that you dodged the issue, I was talking about the guy asking the questions. But it was a good read and a good insight into the family side as well as the business side of you. Best of luck to you bro!
Oh.. my bad.. no worries. many Thanks. Like I said.. I think Vulkan was just trying to get the best information he thought he could from me atthe time. He probably didn't think I would spew like that the way I did.

Even without getting into the past stuff, I think when he hits me back up and stuff isn't as hectic as it was, we will be able to Collab on some evendeeper discussion points on stuff. Nothing drama related which is what I prefer actually.

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

Hey Rock, can you post the drawing of you? I forget who did that. But can you post it?
Done by a Designer in Brand Jordan. years before he went to AND1 and then to Brand Jordan.
I think I paid about a $1000 for this one and 4 or 5 bills for the one of my sons. Good stuff.

Yeah, I wasn't saying that you dodged the issue, I was talking about the guy asking the questions. But it was a good read and a good insight into the family side as well as the business side of you. Best of luck to you bro!
Oh.. my bad.. no worries. many Thanks. Like I said.. I think Vulkan was just trying to get the best information he thought he could from me at the time. He probably didn't think I would spew like that the way I did.

Even without getting into the past stuff, I think when he hits me back up and stuff isn't as hectic as it was, we will be able to Collab on some even deeper discussion points on stuff. Nothing drama related which is what I prefer actually.

good read.

and nice art
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Good #$* V and Rock.....
I will not clown D. Williams.. ooopss.....Rock for some of those pics... he lives too close..... lol!!!

Great interview Vulkan and RockDeep!

Thank You both for sharing!

Now if only Nike wakes up, hires BP and turns him loose!

Originally Posted by mikeadog

Great interview Vulkan and RockDeep!

Thank You both for sharing!

Now if only Nike wakes up, hires BP and turns him loose!
its not really Nike as a Company..

Just folks within it who might have to much of an ego, but others don't and I think life will work itself out for my man. He's in front of the rightfolks as well as his work. Good things will happen to this good person for sure. Others will lose out on being able to get him once he's where he shouldbe.

there is some people at nike who dont have passion I will say this, they need bring in more passionate folk not some 9-5 college grad who wants to make acheck.

Originally Posted by vulkanthekrusader

there is some people at nike who dont have passion I will say this, they need bring in more passionate folk not some 9-5 college grad who wants to make a check.
word. i hate the direction nike and especially jordan brand are heading in right now. a lot of weak colorways in the retro department and nothingnew and groundbreaking imo. you can make a case for the flywire and lunar foam but from reviews about the hyperdunk it seems like the lunar foam doesnt worktoo well

Rock seems like he's real passionate about shoes and would help out nike tremendously, and if bp can get in with nike too so we can see some of great stuffcome to life that would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom