ROY JONES was a FOOL!

amazing boxer its like he knows what your going to do next then knocks you off your feet.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

I find dude very overrated

Are you serious? In his prime he was unbeatable. The ATG's Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Joe Louis, etc were all beatable in their prime. So was prime Mayweather Jr.
laugh.gif
  Roy Jones did not lose until he annihilated everyone in his division and got so bored he decided to move up to Heavyweight and back. But by then he no longer had the athleticism he once had.

he fought str8 tomato cans cept for lights out and a young hopkins (which might have been the worst and most boring fight in boxing history) i appreciate the dudes speed and accuracy but we all know what happened when he was finally tested,son was snoring in the ring.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

How the heck did Roy know the opponents strikes before they swung?!
eek.gif
nerd.gif

Pure elegance.
30t6p3b.gif
Yea often hear about special athletes seeing move a few seconds before they happen, I wouldn't be surprised if he had this alien trait. Very entertaining growing up and seeing dudes in the street fight emulating his baiting style.
But he is also someone I think of when they say some players don't know when to stop.

i remember roy fought this cop that lived in my building . nicest guy you'd ever meet , we used to break on him all the time telling him how roy was gonna send him night night
laugh.gif

but dude fought him, lost , got his payday and bounced .

amazingly i found the fight on youtube

his fellow cops were killing him the worst
laugh.gif

THERE'S NO MERCY in Harlem's 26th Precinct for Ricky Frazier, a police officer and professional boxer set to fight Roy Jones Jr., considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

"I wanted Ricky to put my photos on the bottom of his shoes so when he hits the canvas, I could see myself on TV," said Officer Francis Seguinot.

"The Patrolmen's Benevolent Association has an excellent dental program and a good term life insurance policy," notes officer and union delegate Ron MacGregor.

"I'll get a message on the bulletin board," said Frazier, laughing at the gag. "A Mr. Jones called. Said to call him. Says he's got a can of whoop a-for you. Extra-strength."

full article

http://articles.nydailyne...ricky-frazier-hbo-sports

Roy was a beast in his prime. The sad part about his style was that it was predicated on speed, reflexes and power and as we know, speed and reflexes go as you get older. I hate watching him now because he still fights the same style without the speed and reflexes.

Originally Posted by tim teufel

he fought str8 tomato cans cept for lights out and a young hopkins (which might have been the worst and most boring fight in boxing history) i appreciate the dudes speed and accuracy but we all know what happened when he was finally tested,son was snoring in the ring.

THIS

and lights out tony and Hopkins got better with age and roy would always price himself out of rematchs with them he didnt started trying to fight heavyweight till most them dudes became washed up and done or never tired to drop weight. i never understood why people would bash the stiffs mike tyson would face and knock out, but give roy jones a pass about his

its easy to do all that clown %!#% in the ring roy did when your fighting local street cops with zero talent. we all saw what happened when roy started fighting people with talent that touched his glass jaw

sorry FLOYD JR>>>>>Roy

Definately one of the best showmen the sport has seen...

Definately on par with Prince Naseem as far as straight entertainment in the ring...

But everything went downhill after that second Tarver fight... Probably because he actully fought some worthy opponents...

I personally cant even name anyone he fought before then except for Montell Griffin, and that's because he mentioned him in the song LOL...

THIS

and lights out tony and Hopkins got better with age and roy would always price himself out of rematchs with them he didnt started trying to fight heavyweight till most them dudes became washed up and done or never tired to drop weight. i never understood why people would bash the stiffs mike tyson would face and knock out, but give roy jones a pass about his

its easy to do all that clown %!#% in the ring roy did when your fighting local street cops with zero talent. we all saw what happened when roy started fighting people with talent that touched his glass jaw

sorry FLOYD JR>>>>>Roy

..and Mayweather is fighting contenders, right?
eyes.gif
Some of y'all cant wait to get on NT and sound young as hell.

How many dudes can have the highlight reel and do the music for it?!?!?

I understand people saying he was "overrated", as the level of talent he fought against was not the greatest.

I don't want to get into Floyd vs. Roy. Roy was the stronger guy. But Roy won on athleticism a LOT. Floyd, when you factor in his defense, might be the better technical boxer.

But Roy was nasty. Big fan. Can't see he's my fave or 2nd fave or whatever because I've liked a LOT of boxers over the years. Sweet P, Felix, B Hop, Roy, Toney etc.

Appropriate that this would be on NT given that he was sponsored by JB. I own 2 pairs of JB RJJ shorts. I never box in them (I think it's corny to box in RJJ shorts when I'm nothing close to him).

But I do roadwork or even my Pilates classes in them.

2j26ctk.jpg

2e51fkp.jpg

34sfapv.jpg

1zf3gqv.jpg

My favorite boxer of all time along with Iron Mike. Both of these guys were unbeatable in their prime... I don't call Mike in his prime for the buster douglass fight.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

I find dude very overrated

Are you serious? In his prime he was unbeatable. The ATG's Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Joe Louis, etc were all beatable in their prime. So was prime Mayweather Jr.
laugh.gif
  Roy Jones did not lose until he annihilated everyone in his division and got so bored he decided to move up to Heavyweight and back. But by then he no longer had the athleticism he once had.

Ali didn't lose until he returned after being banned from boxing during his prime. And even after he lost, he was able to adjust his style despite losing some of the physical gifts he had during his younger days, and still went on to beat all of the great heavyweights. Roy Jones relied on his athleticism so much that after it was gone his career was pretty much over

Originally Posted by Tr1ll

THIS

sorry FLOYD JR>>>>>Roy

..and Mayweather is fighting contenders, right?
eyes.gif

Some of y'all cant wait to get on NT and sound young as hell.

Son, Mayweather didn't fight contenders? Jose Luis Castillo held the WBC title when Floyd faced him, nearly lost the fight, and fought a rematch right away and beat him again. If you look at the scorecards of the first fight, it clearly favored Mayweather but if you watched the fight you probably wouldn't score it the same way. He fought a then 33-0 Corrales and annihilated him, knocking him down 5 times before his team threw in the towel. He fought, Gatti, Zab Judah, Ricky Hatton, Juan Manuel Marquez, Oscar (albeit past his prime) and Miguel Cotto, and beat them all easily.

A guy I grew up knowing fought Roy in 1991 and got his jaw broken... Kevins daughter cuts my hair.
laugh.gif

Heres the fight:

Floyd fights everyone he can and Roy never did. He priced himself out of every match that was worth while and contributed to the stigma of bad ppv fights. John Ruiz was the perfect fighter for Roy at HW also, was slow, and really couldnt touch him.

30t6p3b.gif
eek.gif
x
pimp.gif
I didn't know my dudes hands were THAT vicious. I knew about him because his hometown is like 45 minutes from me, but I wasn't into boxing at that age. I had no clue he had that type of flair. He straight sonned the dude that was trading taunts with him
30t6p3b.gif

Man, RJJ is lucky he had god-like speed and reflexes because once it faded and his chin was finally tested, that glass jaw was exposed
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by mgrand15

Man, RJJ is lucky he had god-like speed and reflexes because once it faded and his chin was finally tested, that glass jaw was exposed
laugh.gif

Most definitely.  He was so quick that his chin never was really tested until he lost that speed.

I wonder, if he gained a bunch of weight and started do James Toney shoulder roll, he might've had 2-3 more years of solid boxing under his belt.  He never really changed his strategy up once the his athleticism diminished. 

Back
Top Bottom