School me on AF1 Jewels

what's the history? why are they called jewels? is it because of the way the nike check is on them? please drop some knowledge

^^^

That may be the worst answer possible to his questions.

Jewels were not popular at all when they dropped. They are popular now. I won't get into my theories on that.

Greatest thing they did was go back to the full Swoosh.

You would have better luck with your Jewel AF1 questions if you posted them in the Team AF One thread in the Sneaker Showcase.

Originally Posted by illphillip

^^^

Jewels were not popular at all when they dropped. They are popular now. I won't get into my theories on that.

You would have better luck with your Jewel AF1 questions if you posted them in the Team AF One thread in the Sneaker Showcase.

what? i'm in pure disagreement.....the 'bubble swoosh' as the layman called them then was extra popular during that time. My first heartbreakwith shoes was when my grandma bleached my gray canvas AF1 mids with the white plastic 'bubble swoosh' they turned out PINK

I only had 1 pair...the white/orange lows. It was kinda weird lookin at 1st since I wear a 13, but the look of that small swoosh grew on me.

I miss those shoes....i think they may have been my 1st pair of forces
as for the "history" I always thought they were supposed to be like bubbles...never heard the terminology Jewels till years later

i think they look cool, but the fact puffy was wearing them in the "mo money, mo problems" video, which is one of the biggest causes for the downfallof hip hop, to match his shiny suit, means they pretty much get the gas face from me as a hip hop head, as a sneaker head, they are fresh.

Bring em' back!

I remeber the pair I had,they were hightop white tumbled leather,carolina blue jewel check and a corolina ice bottom!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
back in like '97.

I would kill for them.

The jewels were a pretty decent shoe, and while not the most popular they didnt sit on shelves and collect dust, i had the black, blue nyc mids in 97, theywere a nice set wish i still had them

Jewels are nice. I remember Nike putting out a ton of them in the late 90's. I'd take a two color jewel colorway over a regular swoosh anyday.

Never liked the jewel swoosh, and still don't. I think they've recently gotten popular simply because they're harder to find/vintage/rare.

When they first dropped they were basically the "girls" AF1 in NYC.

And yeah, I do believe their popularity has increased because of how hard to find they are nowadays.

very underrated AF1s from the mid 90s.

But the dopest AF1s ever. if i had my sole collector AF1 edition mag on me, i would've posted up some jewels on one of the pages.
frown.gif

those blue/red are one of my favorite shoes that I own period (and that's saying somethign for what I have). If only nike used leather like that on allforces.

wow, I remember having the all red/white mids with this. I never gave it much thought though

Originally Posted by Page86

i think they look cool, but the fact puffy was wearing them in the "mo money, mo problems" video, which is one of the biggest causes for the downfall of hip hop, to match his shiny suit, means they pretty much get the gas face from me as a hip hop head, as a sneaker head, they are fresh.

LOL @ a biggie song, the biggest hit of 97, being the downfall of hiphop
you was 11 when that came out stop frontin

Originally Posted by bootleg ed

Originally Posted by illphillip

^^^

what? i'm in pure disagreement.....the 'bubble swoosh' as the layman called them then was extra popular during that time. My first heartbreak with shoes was when my grandma bleached my gray canvas AF1 mids with the white plastic 'bubble swoosh' they turned out PINK
Obviously not EVERYONE hated them, but many people were unhappy with the new Swoosh. If you read the responses below, you can clearly see some of that.

And I'm sure it was different in different areas. But in Uptown NYC (keep in mind AF1's are often called Uptowns for a reason......), the jewel was notpopular.

Probably part of the reason you can still get them.

EDIT-And to clarify, another reason I had a problem with dudes answer is because he said it was the greatest thing since the AF1 was made a High Top. When Ibelieve the first AF1's were high tops. So.......

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

Never liked the jewel swoosh, and still don't. I think they've recently gotten popular simply because they're harder to find/vintage/rare.

And Trife hit on my "theories". Only reason they're so popular now is because sneakers are, like, so cool, and they represent the classic"hard to get, rare, exclusive, vintage" etc. sneaker.

If you look at the Team AF One thread you will see the trends. For instance, canvas is the new jewel.

Back
Top Bottom