School me on AF1 Jewels

I also have had a handful or more pairs over the years....

Only 1 pair was a have to have

I got em about 4 months ago!!

finally after not having seen them for about 6 years!!!!

DS in the Box

19a268513e0f0103a27f00308ae1b398943911b1.pjpg

When I first started buying AF1 back in the 90s, the jewel swoosh was being used. I hated it but I bought them regardless, since my jeans would cover the jewelanyways. I was so happy when they went back to the original leather swoosh. I think people like the jewel just because they are harder to find. But then again,to each his own.

Originally Posted by illphillip

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

Never liked the jewel swoosh, and still don't. I think they've recently gotten popular simply because they're harder to find/vintage/rare.

And Trife hit on my "theories". Only reason they're so popular now is because sneakers are, like, so cool, and they represent the classic "hard to get, rare, exclusive, vintage" etc. sneaker.

If you look at the Team AF One thread you will see the trends. For instance, canvas is the new jewel.
True indeed. Canvas is definitely the new jewel. And a few months from now, it will be something else--I'm predicting mids. It is funny to seepeople hop on the bandwagon though. Of course I can never truly know one's reasoning for buying something, but it seems like a lot of people just try tokeep up with the crowd.

It's just funny how time changes things.

I clearly remember working at Flocker during my high school years and these not moving, mainly due to the lack of approval / bad opinions of Uptown New Yorkers(which was a big deal in Virginia in the mid to late 90s as far as being "stylish" went).

Interesting.

Jewel Forces were produced mainly from 1996 to 1999.....These were popular in some areas, but not in others. I know here in Cleveland, I don't reallyremember a lotta people wearing forces jewel or not really until like 98, but if they did, they weren't jewels. I can't believe how much people clamourover these now and how much they go for on Ebay.....I still have two pairs myself, barely wear them, but I keep them as souveniers from High School.

I remember these ckecks I didn't know they were called jewles.

The last pair of AF1 jewels I had were the all yellow lows memories!

superblyTRIFE wrote:

superblyTRIFE wrote:
Never liked the jewel swoosh, and still don't. I think they've recently gotten popular simply because they're harder to find/vintage/rare.

And Trife hit on my "theories". Only reason they're so popular now is because sneakers are, like, so cool, and they represent the classic "hard to get, rare, exclusive, vintage" etc. sneaker.

If you look at the Team AF One thread you will see the trends. For instance, canvas is the new jewel.
True indeed. Canvas is definitely the new jewel. And a few months from now, it will be something else--I'm predicting mids. It is funny to see people hop on the bandwagon though. Of course I can never truly know one's reasoning for buying something, but it seems like a lot of people just try to keep up with the crowd.

I have to say that is complete and utter BS, there has always been a demand for canvas AF1's. Just because a few people posted some new canvasesdoesn't mean that were all jumping on a "bandwagon" its called the luck of the draw and a few peole got lucky with finding some canvases. Ican't speak for everyone but the find/vintage/rare debate is off as well because what happend to liking a shoe because of the colour way? Jewels aren'tnice because of the plastic swoosh its simply because they came in some great colour ways and generaly vintage AF1's are more popular due to the superiorquality and design. Lastly nobody that I know likes these shoes for the rareity if anything thats the most iritating and frustrating part about vintageAF1's, we wish they were more common, searching pages upon pages on various sites to find shoes in every blue moon is never a pleasant experience.

DunkNForce, PLEASE tell me those Indy Jewels aren't a size 9.5 or 10.

I actually don't remember Jewels being that popular in NYC when they first dropped, but then again I was in Junior High School during that time period.

Personally, I like Jewels, though I think the full swoosh looks better on a consistent basis. On certain sneakers like the Indy Jewels though, they lookamazing. I guess it really depends on the colorway for me.

As far as Jewels being more popular due to them being harder to get now, there is definitely truth to that, however, that's true with anything peoplecollect. Isn't that part of the reason older Jordans are so popular? Or why 1st-2nd series SBs are popular? Why do Titaniums go for so much? Purely becauseof the colorway? I doubt it. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with people liking a model because it's hard to find as long as they actually likethe sneaker and aren't buying it purely to bolster their collections. With that said, if you look at the number of people searching after Jewel AF1sit's very small. If you compared the number of people on the Jewel swoosh bandwagon (or canvas AF1 bandwagon for that matter) to the SB bandwagon or Jordanbandwagon or bright color bandwagon or even the Vans bandwagon (since when does every sneakerhead like Vans?) etc etc it wouldn't even be close.

People need to remember that a big part of sneaker culture has always been having sneakers the next man doesn't. If it wasn't, there probably would beno limited releases because Nike and the other major brands would have no niche market to take advantage of. Enjoy your high horses people.

I haven't seen some of those jewels for a while great post, I would kill for the spark blues and emeralds.

Here is what I have.

2dakqc5.jpg

vajh0.jpg

2dmgu9y.jpg

xa7go.jpg

35d8fpk.jpg

11kh0s0.jpg

2ro73lu.jpg

4gvut.jpg

Originally Posted by 7 Paul 7

I haven't seen some of those jewels for a while great post, I would kill for the spark blues and emeralds.

Here is what I have.

2dmgu9y.jpg

Straight crack..

Here is what I have
Loving the heat in this thread..........keep them coming everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember having these in junior high..!!! All navy with the yellow/maize check great times!!!!!!! Don't really like them anymore I've movedon....

Man, I still think Mids have some of the illest color combos although the Mids are sort of the bastard child of 3 models.

If guys out there don't think SOME people are buying up stuff just to fit in or because it's the cool new thing to do, you're kidding yourself.

And in MY PERSONAL OPINION, if you read the statement and get offended, maybe the shoe fits (pardon the pun). When I read it, I couldn't have agreed morewith him.

I haven't bought a pair of Forces in a long time because of quality issues. Older models are definitely better and for me, that's the appeal. Colorwaysweren't loud but they went well together. But jesus, the butter leather will always be something people want. Period. Add to that, I'm a size 11-12 sofinding this stuff is either a) impossible or b) expensive.

Such is life.

Originally Posted by baby dill

Man, I still think Mids have some of the illest color combos although the Mids are sort of the bastard child of 3 models.

If guys out there don't think SOME people are buying up stuff just to fit in or because it's the cool new thing to do, you're kidding yourself.

And in MY PERSONAL OPINION, if you read the statement and get offended, maybe the shoe fits (pardon the pun). When I read it, I couldn't have agreed more with him.

I haven't bought a pair of Forces in a long time because of quality issues. Older models are definitely better and for me, that's the appeal. Colorways weren't loud but they went well together. But jesus, the butter leather will always be something people want. Period. Add to that, I'm a size 11-12 so finding this stuff is either a) impossible or b) expensive.

Such is life.

word man...98 mids was so hardbody.....the leather was so perfect and even the canvas joints were super high quality

and as a 11.5'er myself i feel your pain..

Sweet memories. I had the low white with the jewel swoosh. They might have been womens. The grey's were sold out. Everyone in my middle school had thosefor back to school 7th grade. I think im slowly getting older. Lol.

superblyTRIFE wrote:

superblyTRIFE wrote:

True indeed. Canvas is definitely the new jewel. And a few months from now, it will be something else--I'm predicting mids. It is funny to see people hop on the bandwagon though. Of course I can never truly know one's reasoning for buying something, but it seems like a lot of people just try to keep up with the crowd.

I have to say that is complete and utter BS, there has always been a demand for canvas AF1's. Just because a few people posted some new canvases doesn't mean that were all jumping on a "bandwagon" its called the luck of the draw and a few peole got lucky with finding some canvases. I can't speak for everyone but the find/vintage/rare debate is off as well because what happend to liking a shoe because of the colour way? Jewels aren't nice because of the plastic swoosh its simply because they came in some great colour ways and generaly vintage AF1's are more popular due to the superior quality and design. Lastly nobody that I know likes these shoes for the rareity if anything thats the most iritating and frustrating part about vintage AF1's, we wish they were more common, searching pages upon pages on various sites to find shoes in every blue moon is never a pleasant experience.

Dude. Relax. I never said there was anything wrong with it. Just stating my opinion. If what I said offends you, baby dill said it best....
And in MY PERSONAL OPINION, if you read the statement and get offended, maybe the shoe fits (pardon the pun). When I read it, I couldn't have agreed more with him.

lol why do you presume to think I was offended? I was just stating my opinion, you were wrong about the canvases and as I said before "I PERSONALLY"don't buy the jewels for the rarity its the colour ways. Nobody wears AF1's or even knows anything about them where I live so its as if I'm tryingto get shoes to show off to anyone I simply buy what I like.

Af1 was always big but i gotta agree with illphill. It wasn't selling out in nyc. They hit sales racks and sat for very long time is dusty stockrooms.Eventually it got sold but not for retail.

Back
Top Bottom