SCHOOL ME ON CUSTOMS

Great post, lots of good info in here. Hopefully I can remember the title so I can search for it when I need it, because for some reason it's not stickied...

Any recommendations for painting on tweed? I'm afraid, since the tweed itself isn't really a "flat" surface, rather fiberous as the texture is all over the place like a lo-fi velcro that paint would have a weird effect to it.

I figure the best bet would be to airbrush it, but ti's hard to say what kind of effect that will have to the fabric.

any ideas?

steppingrazor- could i pick up delta textile medium at a jo-ann fabrics? thats the only craft store in my area
thanks in advance
Rappers I monkey flip 'em with the funky rhythm I be kickin
Musician, inflictin composition
of pain I'm like Scarface sniffin cocaine
Holdin a M-16, see with the pen I'm extreme

delta textile medium can be foun almost anyuwhere...Im almost certain Joanns should have it. Do you have a Michaels store.....I know they sell it too and I wouldnt be surprised if WalMart sold it as well.

^ yea i found it at jo-ann fabrics thanks alot dude and i picked up acetone at home depot for like 5 bucks for anyone who might have be wondering

how do you know exactly when the acetone has taken affect and you can start to paint?
thanks alot

you rub the leather with an acetone soaked applicator (whatever that may be) and as you rub you will notice that the color is getting dull and there is a residue on the applicator. you will also see that the leather is starting to look like it has absorbed the liquid when you rub it more.
VERSUS OPEN NOW(info)
Steppingrazor x Reebok!! I won!(finishline.com)

Meth,

I just read that nice long post. And I want to personally thank you for taking the time to explain some things.

I was on NikeTalk many many moons ago when you were just starting out with making your own paint mixtures. I had just started to do minor midsole restorations. People (on here at the time) thought I was nuts because I mixed Acetone and Rubbing Alcohol with the cheap Liquitex I was using, but it helped the paint get more elastic. Granted back then, you could still see brush strokes, Now I have perfect my technique (and stopped using liquitex) somewhat and also learned that thinner paint helps reduce the strokes visibility. I had even gone to lengths as far as printing out your instructions and such and I still refer to some of the stuff that kind of still makes sense to me.

I just wanted to thank you for your efforts, simply because it has helped me keep most of my shoes looking pristine (when i take the time to keep them in shape).

One of the things Meth used to stress is to practice on a pair of beaters first to get some of your techniques and mixtures worked out.

Edit: If you guys actually READ the longer posts in this thread and do a little RESEARCH, the majority of your questions will be answered.

ATTN METH: I did some of my own research on some of those paints you suggested, and apparantely, I have barely broken through the surface on customizing. Thanks again for the suggestions and the insight!

Meth, when you say to steer clear of Liquitex paints are you referring to their Basic series or their entire line? I had a shoe crack on me for the first time when I used their iridescent medium. I have a bunch of their Soft Body Professional series paints which I haven't used yet.
It took an 81pt game for the world to finally realize he's the best in the league. Quit ridin'.

Quote:
Any recommendations for painting on tweed? I'm afraid, since the tweed itself isn't really a "flat" surface, rather fiberous as the texture is all over the place like a lo-fi velcro that paint would have a weird effect to it.

I figure the best bet would be to airbrush it, but ti's hard to say what kind of effect that will have to the fabric.

any ideas?

What exactly are you wanting to paint- solid color or graphics?

graphics will be pretty much a waste of time, and will look pretty bad.

As for solid color my process would be:

1.clean with rubbing alcohol or acetone for best absorbness.
2. water or thin down the paint of choice,
3. with a brush soaked in paint allow the tweed to soak in the paint.
4. It will take a good amount of coats depending on the color/darkness/shade you are going for

Using an air brush would also be good as long as the paint is pretty much water. This will allow the paint to not cake up and allow for a more even coating than with the brush.

But if you know what your doing the brush is just as effective, and less hassle.
LOOK<<<<<<<<--------MJ shows his REAL colors!

yeah i am just wanting to color sections of a shoe a solid color, nothing fancy. thanks for the tips

anyone know where i can get custom AF 1s made in dallas?
will have witnesses seein what the surgeon see[/center]

ANYONE...can anyone tell me any tips for painting the stitching on the soles of AF1s or keeping the stitching the og color on the actual shoe?
~Raw Deal~ its a movement sit cmong soon

a noob ques...can some1 show the steps by steps on how to put on signatures on shoes like wat meth and etc do? Hopefully it can be accompanied with pictures. Thanx in advance ! :tongue:
tongue.gif

using die cut vinyl decals for the most part.

go to a printing place where they have a plotter (most of those import car shop may have them)
and get some lettering or designs made.

using those you:
#1 prepare your shoe like you normally would before painting.
#2 apply a base coat in the area where you want the lettering color to be
#3 stick the vinyl decal over it once it is dry
#4 then paint that shoe section with some other color
#5 once that is dry carefully peel off the decal and it should expose the color underneath

as far as the decals are concerned, not really, unless you are talking about getting the graphic you want. there are OTHER ways but its not like theres a better way to do it.

i'll post a tutorial on the elephant print soon, but honestly, theres not one way to do it, and the best way if you dont have the most artistic of inclinations is to stare at a pair of shoes with teh print on it and copy it. same thing with the gator print. alot of people have tutorials, but unless you get some real gator print in front of you it will more than likely look blocky and unreal.
VERSUS OPEN NOW(info)

Is a wood burning pen all thats needed for lasering/elephant print/etc.? or do u need like a special power supply or controller or something?

its not needed for elephant print, unless you want to indent it like on the III's. otherwise you can just paint on suede. michaels sells a pretty good burning pen with interchangeable tips included. i wouldnt worry about getting a pen with its own power supply. you only really need that if you are shading on wood.
VERSUS OPEN NOW(info)

Back
Top Bottom