School Me On This Russia/Ukraine Kerfuffle

Is russia too stubborn to concede until it’s basically out of troops and resources? How much longer can they drag this war out while losing? Surprised we haven’t heard rumors again of the government ready to get rid of putin for this mess.

Is russia too stubborn to concede until it’s basically out of troops and resources? How much longer can they drag this war out while losing? Surprised we haven’t heard rumors again of the government ready to get rid of putin for this mess.

Russia will never publicly concede or admit defeat….

Remember, this isn’t a war - it’s a “military operation”.

Russia really about to lose this war.

Proud of the Ukrainians
I'd be cautious about it.

They can call up a million troops. The question is whether Russians will accept to join the meat grinder, and it looks like they don't have the appetite for war.

Still, a "victory" for Putin would be holding onto the territories he's won since 2014 and surviving the internal backlash that is sure to come.

zdnp8t7t96p91.png

Did you protest every war we engaged in that was unjust? Protesting in Russia is also totally different than here in the US, you probably wont go missing. I feel what youre saying, but ultimately I do feel sorry for them because at the end of the day its just poor people being forced to fight a war for the rich, and it happens everywhere, even here.

Putin would rather launch all his nukes and in turn get Russia nuked than concede. He's never gonna just stop the war sadly
Im worried this is gonna go on for a decade

At what point does a government just actually collapse? I.e. unresponsive military, government had no control, the nation's foreign power evaporates?

The Russian economy is in ruins already and people are just scrabbling to survive as it is? Will this war cause Russia to implode in a scarier way than the soviet union did? That at least was structured to some degree.

It won't end til Russians themselves grow a pair and develop a brain. Besides, they are a part of the problem.

Other government officials gotta realize putin has to be eliminated.
We have plenty of recent examples of how an outside force eliminating a foreign government/leader has many unintended consequences. It has to be done from within, but even then it’s not like the next kremlin leader would suddenly be an ally. I don’t understand the Russian political system well enough to comment further.

1663864282834.png

https://twitter.com/b_nishanov/stat...^1572906547285721089|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

Off course the ethnic minorities get drafted disproportionately to the guys in Moscow. Ethnic Cleansing + Genocide all in one for Putin.

Russia will struggle with the logistics of getting all these conscripts to the front line. If their plan is to overwhelm Ukraine's army with bodies then it's dead bodies they will get since I doubt they can get all these men out there in a prepared state.
Shortage of equipment, lack of training and winter will mean a lot of these men are just being sent to die.
Russia is already an aging population so sending thousands of young men to war after all the brain drain that's happened makes no sense.

1663864282834.png

https://twitter.com/b_nishanov/status/1572906547285721089?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1572906547285721089|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

Off course the ethnic minorities get drafted disproportionately to the guys in Moscow. Ethnic Cleansing + Genocide all in one for Putin.

Russia will struggle with the logistics of getting all these conscripts to the front line. If their plan is to overwhelm Ukraine's army with bodies then it's dead bodies they will get since I doubt they can get all these men out there in a prepared state.
Shortage of equipment, lack of training and winter will mean a lot of these men are just being sent to die.
Russia is already an aging population so sending thousands of young men to war after all the brain drain that's happened makes no sense.

You must have forgotten how WW2 went for Russia. They lost almost 25 million soldiers and civilians if I remember correctly. No other country lost more than 6 and that was with concentration camps taking a large portion of those. Russians in power never gave a ****. They almost only ever won any of their battles with numbers by just tossing people on the front. Technology and actual battle strategy was never their strong suit.

My grandfathers mom adopted one of these Russian soldiers during WW2. 14 year old sent to die essentially. After the war ended he stayed with them and was raised by them.

We have plenty of recent examples of how an outside force eliminating a foreign government/leader has many unintended consequences. It has to be done from within, but even then it’s not like the next kremlin leader would suddenly be an ally. I don’t understand the Russian political system well enough to comment further.
This.

It is complicated.

There's always the question of what comes after a dictator, and without a clear answer, a sudden overthrow is always a mess.

Putin is where he is because he was able to control a lot of factions within Russia. With him gone, you can expect that a lot of folks in his circle will be hurting, from losing government/military protection to having to deal with possible secessionist movements (Chechnya).

On top of that, it's in the interest of the world to ensure that the second largest nuclear power undergoes stable transitions of power (hence why the US supported Ukraine giving up its nuclear weapons when the Soviet Union dissolved).

You must have forgotten how WW2 went for Russia. They lost almost 25 million soldiers and civilians if I remember correctly. No other country lost more than 6 and that was with concentration camps taking a large portion of those. Russians in power never gave a ****. They almost only ever won any of their battles with numbers by just tossing people on the front. Technology and actual battle strategy was never their strong suit.

My grandfathers mom adopted one of these Russian soldiers during WW2. 14 year old sent to die essentially. After the war ended he stayed with them and was raised by them.
Russians never won WW2. They just got lucky as the Germans miscalculated their strategy, Hitler's involvement, winter season and opening multiple fronts which made it extremely difficult to attack and defend at the same time. Germany during WW2 was a scary superpower. Russia just practically got their war tech including nukes from Germany after the war as part of the reparations. Russia even Lost to Finland after WW2 when the former tried to annex it. Russia is now exposed and is overrated.

Russian persecution of various populations has a very long history. There has to be a way of talking about collective responsibility but it also requires subtlety and carefulness

Crazy to think, this could legit be the same tactic in 2022:

To be honest, I don't see this ending well for Russia. India and China are over the nonsense and have openly embarrassed Putin at recent meetings. Ukraine is kicking major tail on the battlefield and the sanctions are starting to take hold.

The sanctions are honestly not doing as much damage as you’d hope because they can still sell oil on the open market easily. However, them losing hundreds of thousands of men under 40, that will have devastating effects on their economy in the long term.

Back
Top Bottom