September 1, 1999: A look back in time

Whats up NT fam,

Its been YEARS since i been active on here. But i want to share a story real quick. It was Wednesday on a hot summer school day back on september 1st 1999. The summer after working my first real job. A few months before that i just finished my 9th grade year and those coveted retro 4s just dropped in blk/cement. Of course no job then so i couldnt get them. Fast forward to September 1, 1999. Second week of 10th grade. Already had some dope hi top white/colombia blue AF1s but it wasnt enough. At that time, my sneaker info came from KicksUSA, a brand new NT, and a few other sites (internet was still dial up then).

So, i heard about some new retro 4s dropping called the retro plus UNC 4s. I got the news in July.

So its Wednesday 9/1/99. Everything was cool at school. At my 4th period math class, my classmate was rocking them already. Brah, I was sold on them! So after school, i rushed to pick up my check from work, went to to the Mall at the FL and copped my size 12s. Retail price 99.99, 110.00 with tax.

My first retro Js. And believe me from 1999 to 2006 was a great run for me in terms of retros.

Sorry for the long story. Had to share some nostalgia. What are some of your moments from that era of retro Js?

Yes, these are my retros and i still have them

FB_IMG_1567350530838.jpg

good stuff man, first retros were cement 3's for me in 01 or 02 I think. Remember you could get retros days after release.

Oh, yeah. July 2001 for those blk/cement 3s. They were the last retros to have 'Nike Air' on the outside of the shoe for OGs until recent years. 1999-2001 was a great time for grabbing retro releases. Back then releases came out on weekdays (wednesdays) and if you were lucky you couldve got a few pairs on clearance. Like those XIVs-XVIs that were on racks during those times..

Oh, yeah. July 2001 for those blk/cement 3s. They were the last retros to have 'Nike Air' on the outside of the shoe for OGs until recent years. 1999-2001 was a great time for grabbing retro releases. Back then releases came out on weekdays (wednesdays) and if you were lucky you couldve got a few pairs on clearance. Like those XIVs-XVIs that were on racks during those times..
Got my first retro in 94 or 95. The 10s were out by then. And found some WC 3s on the clearance table outside Finish Line for 59 dollars. Still have em.
Got my first retro in 94 or 95. The 10s were out by then. And found some WC 3s on the clearance table outside Finish Line for 59 dollars. Still have em.
'94 and '95 was for those I-III if I recall. I remember seeing them in FA ads in the newspaper and in the eastbay catalogs back then...

First retro for me was the 2000 Space Jam. I was a little younger and didn’t have a connection with some of the older models, but it still burns me that I didn’t even consider trying to get the 99/00 releases.

Great thread. My first dive into the retro craze was the black cement 4’s that year. Instant sellout everywhere. Luckily moms came through she was able to cop the last 11 at a now defunct store called Nike Town. Even though they didn’t fit good I was thrilled to get a pair. $100+tax. Those were the days.

I vividly remember going to the local PX at Fort Bliss, TX in '99 and seeing the black/cement & white/cement IV's displayed in all of their glory, only to be told by the associate that the 9.5 displays were the last sizes left. I wore 10.5-11 :frown: . The end :lol:

Stories like yours are few and far between anymore. They dont get told as much as they should. Had a long talk with my 14 year old daughter tonight. And the thing I emphasized was the most was enjoying the moment when you know its there. The rush you get when something feels really good to you. You know when you feel it. But several never relish it. Which is something I told her to try to recognize. We all have had times like this. The time when you are extremely happy and nothing gets you down. Memories that make you smile even today. I tried to make her understand tonight that those moments are there and more are coming so know when your in them and appreciate them. In my life, the Jordan shoe can apply to that in its own small way. Little things matter.

Dope story. Wish I paid attention to retros from the very beginning. I was working a part time job after school at the time too. I put my stories in my sig, they always have story.

Always loved these in 99 when I was going into HS and wanted these but had to pass because I was going to a school that was supposedly enforcing a new uniform (they failed :lol: ) and I almost bought the retro then got annoyed with the shape.. now I'm back to wanting a pair before they're gone into oblivion.

I love the stories that brought us here.

Always loved these in 99 when I was going into HS and wanted these but had to pass because I was going to a school that was supposedly enforcing a new uniform (they failed :lol: ) and I almost bought the retro then got annoyed with the shape.. now I'm back to wanting a pair before they're gone into oblivion.

I love the stories that brought us here.
The STORIES make these shoes what they are. There really are no other shoe and athlete to compare to. Back then it meant something. And obviously it still does today.

First mens Jordan retro I went in expecting these
ay2s8j8jz0aauktfbzi2 (2).jpg

Form the rumors at that time, was a bit dissaponted to see these on display ON RD...
stbvsckbdaaid3dz1lyd.jpg

copped anyways, and never regret it. Still wish the top pic was the actual release though. Still hope though, come on JBdrop the top pic already. I know I'm not the only one who'd cop.

I was aware of the Jordan Retro abut man I was too knee deep with the alpha project kicks/Nike basketball. Great times though. Especially the 2000-2001.

My first pair I bought with my own money back in 99 still have them but unable to wear but still love them

Jordans were always in my face growing up. Remember looking up to your older relatives, and wanting to emulate them? Well... that was me cuz they always had the latest Jordan model. I had to sit through watching my uncle buy literally all 5 of my cousins the Jordan 12s back in '97. Mind you, 3 of the 5 didnt even want them :lol:

Well I had to sit there with my puppy dog eyes to bum some sympathy, because even-though I didn't want them, no kids wants to be feel exclusion. Long story short I didn't get them.

My oldest two cousins were girls, and they didn't end up wanting them. The next two were my boy cousins, one got the Obsidians and the other the Taxis. Lastly my little girl cousin had the what we call now 'Cherry', I always liked the Rising Sun nickname cuz the Japan flag colors with the stitch patterns resembling the rays of sun... but then they dropped those in '09 I think and that killed that nickname... sorry off on a tangent.

Long story shorter, my girl younger cousin who was my size 13c liked my open toe sandals more, so we would switch at school. It'll be another 6 years before I would get my own pair, and it'll require my own money and job. 2003 Patent Chicagos sz 6Y :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom