Should Derek Fisher's Jersey be retired by the Lakers?

No.

I'd have a problem if they were crazy enough to retire Fish's number, before Byron Scott's number.

Just some food for thought.......

If Chris Webber's and Vlade Divac's numbers were retired by the Kings, I dont see why Fisher isnt retired by the Lakers. And before anyone asks, yes Iam completely aware of the differences in the two team's histories. I am just trying to put this into perspective.

The Kings had run of being a fairly good team for a few years and had two players numbers retired from that era. The Lakers have won four NBA titles, andFisher was instrumental in all 4 of them. Is he a Hall of Famer/Superstar? No. Is retiring his number as silly of an idea as most of you think it is? No.

I personally dont think so, but why would Bobby Phillis get his number retired? What exactly did he do for his team?

Now I wish we could do somethin for both Horry and Fish, but we aren't the typical NBA franchise just retire any ol scrubs jersey.
Greg-Oden.jpg

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by CP1708

Wilt
West
Baylor
Magic
Worthy
Kareem
Shaq someday
Kobe someday
Fisher
Horry

Which of those names don't belong?

Now I wish we could do somethin for both Horry and Fish, but we aren't the typical NBA franchise just retire any ol scrubs jersey.
Fixed

How exactly did you fix the list?

You crossed out the names he was implying in the question.

roll.gif

I was thinking this the other day after they won. Son was the starting point guard of ALL 4 'chips. The only other player that has all 4 is Kobe, I think.Son is the epitome of a role player whether you like him or not. With that said, yes it should be retired, but HOF... No chance.

^ I'm saying, being the starting PG for your teams last 4 championships is chump change now?
ohwell.gif

And yes, only he and Kobe have all 4 Laker rings this decade.

Originally Posted by w3stchicag0

I personally dont think so, but why would Bobby Phillis get his number retired? What exactly did he do for his team?

That's a bit different in my opinion. Just a nice gesture by the organization for the great person Phills was. Does anyone know if his jersey still hangsin the rafters for the Hornets now that they're in NO? If anything I would think it is just the number that is retired in the long term, and they won'thave his jersey hanging in the rafters 20 years from now...Or until Chris Paul retires or something, because I think that was the only jersey the Hornetsretired.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

I was thinking this the other day after they won. Son was the starting point guard of ALL 4 'chips.
Wasn't Ron Harper the starting point guard in 2000?

Either way, I would neither be upset or outraged if Fisher ever got his jersey retired.

I would be happy for him to get such an honor.

Don't the Lakers only retire jersey numbers of Hall of Famers. If I remember correctly thats what I heard back when Eddie Jones had to switch from 25 to 6after Gail Goodrich got in.

The Kings and Lakers are completely different franchises.
laugh.gif
they may retire Bobby Jackson and Mike Bibby's digits if you give them time.

Originally Posted by rodriguez348

Don't the Lakers only retire jersey numbers of Hall of Famers. If I remember correctly thats what I heard back when Eddie Jones had to switch from 25 to 6 after Gail Goodrich got in.
Getting inducted into the HOF is what got Goodrich his number retired. But I know they've done it before without that prerequisite...Magic,Kareem, and Worthy all got their numbers retired before getting inducted. In all seriousness though, the Lakers do these things than other franchises when itcomes to stuff like this. If Fisher accomplished his achievements with another franchise, then yes, he surely would be seeing his number in the rafters. Butthe Lakers only retire numbers of all-time greats.

I like how people are tryna tell Laker fans how we should want our franchise to run things.
laugh.gif

Yeah, we wanna be just like the Kings.

If the Kings didn't retire those scrub's jersey's they have nothing but 4 blank walls to look at in Arco. Who wants to see that?

Point blank, we retire ONLY the best of the best in the ENTIRE NBA. Thas it.

As French said, would we be mad if Fish got up there? No. Mad if Horry was up there? No. But that's the difference in our franchise and all others,those guys do such HUGE things to win multiple titles, and they can't get their laundry hung. Players for other teams hit a couple of clutch first quartershots in a game and they get ceremonies, and they name in the paper and all kinda benefits. That ain't us.

Even the Celtics don't subscribe to this rule. They got like 57 numbers up there, I don't know half of em. Bunch a dudes from the 60's. Prettysoon all their players be wearin number 79 and @#$%.
laugh.gif

As for Mikan, if I'm not mistaken, don't we have that one large banner for Minny that has a couple numbers on it, therefore, retired? I thought I hada picutre of it, but I'm on my work laptop, it must be on my PC. I'll see if I can find it.

Originally Posted by frankthekingdtx

how can you say NO when the dude bailed them out so many dang times. if he didnt hit the shots then they would have lost.
indifferent.gif

If anything, he deserves a pat on the shoulder and perhaps a high five.

As for Mikan, if I'm not mistaken, don't we have that one large banner for Minny that has a couple numbers on it, therefore, retired? I thought I had a picutre of it, but I'm on my work laptop, it must be on my PC. I'll see if I can find it.
They have the names in the Banner, but not their numbers. So I don't know if they are officially retired? Someone can clarify this....

Still though, I don't think the team would issue the #99 or any of the other players' numbers that are on that banner.

Wilt
West
Baylor
Magic
Worthy
Kareem
Shaq someday
Kobe someday
Fisher
Horry

Which of those names don't belong?

if he were a celtic, he would have been retired. celtics man..........go so overboard, they're gonna need new numbers soon

Back
Top Bottom