Should I get a credit card?

Right now I am debating if I should get a credit card or not. I have asked my parents and they both said no that I don't need it because I don't needto establish credit yet. They don't doubt that I won't be able to pay it in full by the end of the month and if I am mature or not to get one. The onlyreason they keep going back is that I just don't need one at the moment. I am a Sophomore in College and right now my only source of income is a job I haveat my university. I also have no bills to pay and life's good. Let me know what you think NT. If I were to get one I would be applying for the AmericanExpress Green Card. Thanks.

If you are responsible and can pay the balance off at the end of the months why not? Get a rewards charge everything on it and pay as you go .... Establishcredit, earn points and you aren't paying interest.

I already got a PS3 a Blu Ray and round trip ticket to PR of rewards point and I don't buy anything besides what I would normally buy with cash .. Gas,EzPass, Grocery, Cloths, etc .. so basically if I'm going to buy with cash I just charge it get home transfer the money and keep it moving ....

You just have to be very responsible and not live outside your limits ..

nope when you have one youll be spending way more because you dont see money leaving your wallet/pocket. i dont have one and dont need one for a while

Originally Posted by Snake201

If I were to get one I would be applying for the American Express Green Card.
American Express with no credit? Not happening.

i have a credit card already, if i apply for like 3 others and just leave them there i heard it builds credit is this true?

Originally Posted by Shaq DIESEL 34

Debit card. The money just comes right out your account.

That's what I have right now. I actually have 2 with 2 different banks.

getting a credit card is nice, but the one big thing is that you are at risk of spending more than you make.

you can build credit by paying the MINIMAL monthly payment, but that will catch up to you with percentages that you would have to double check when you apply.

if you are only doing a campus job (i'm assuming 800 - 1k a paycheck), and you know it will cover go for it.

It is nice to build credit. cause once you are out of college, you'll be ahead of most of the pack [sort of]

my suggestion. pretend your credit card is a debit card. use it to spend, and pay it off with your paycheck. it will help you keep an eye on what you arespending, and how much you are making.

good luck!

Personally, sophomore in college isn't too early to establish credit.
If you are responsible, it is actually the best way to start as it is easier to keep up with your personal finances.
Get a school credit card and just use it on gas. Chances are your limit will be like $300 anyways and again just be responsible and you'll be good to go.

Then again, credit card changes people so be sure that you know yourself.

Originally Posted by conv3rge

i have a credit card already, if i apply for like 3 others and just leave them there i heard it builds credit is this true?

negative - it will actually hurt your credit if anything

revolving credit its something allot of creditors look at before making decisions ....

Originally Posted by rocman23

If youre responsible than yes. I thought I was responsible but whatever

What happened to you if you don't me asking?
Originally Posted by MJ1331L

if you are only doing a campus job (i'm assuming 800 - 1k a paycheck), and you know it will cover go for it.

Whoa I wish I was making that much a pay check. I actually only make like about 200 a paycheck, but money is not really a problem since my parents got me withanything I need. I only have a job because it gives me something to do.

dont go for a regular cc just yet especially if u dont have established credit. If u got money that u dont needa touch for 18 months id go for a secured creditcard

Only get a credit card if you can pay off what you spend within the same month, or if it's a huge purchase, then maybe two.

Originally Posted by RiKaN HaVoK

If you are responsible and can pay the balance off at the end of the months why not? Get a rewards charge everything on it and pay as you go .... Establish credit, earn points and you aren't paying interest.

I already got a PS3 a Blu Ray and round trip ticket to PR of rewards point and I don't buy anything besides what I would normally buy with cash .. Gas, EzPass, Grocery, Cloths, etc .. so basically if I'm going to buy with cash I just charge it get home transfer the money and keep it moving ....

You just have to be very responsible and not live outside your limits ..
Quoted for emphasis.

Why not start building credit if you know you are responsible and can handle it?

Back
Top Bottom